DVD Player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by score0412, Dec 11, 2007.

1. score0412

score0412 Member

Hello. I have done some research about DVD players. I am looking for a couple things when coming to DVD players and still have some questions if anyone can answer.

I am looking for:

-Under $65
    -Plays the most formats possible
    -Has also a digital screen for elapse time of DVD’s (not just when you press display and it shows on the screen)
    -Has that feature that when you don’t finish watching a movie, you press stop once and can turn off the DVD player and then the next day when you want to watch a movie again, it remembers where you left off and you can just hit play as opposed to starting the DVD from the complete beginning; dumb request but I like that feature)
    -Must have no trouble playing DVD burned movies (Single layer or Dual Layer); there are DVD players that play burned movies but they either have a difficult time reading them and tend to freeze up or screw up the image somewhere during the watching of the movie

Some questions I still have are:

-What exactly is S-video output (after researching, some stress to make sure to have that)
    -What is an Upconversion DVD Player or HDMI? Do you need HD to have this work properly? Most have said that Upconversion makes almost no viewing difference whatsoever. Would this be a great feature to have once upgrading to HDTV.
    -Do I need to buy additional cables or anything for the Upconversion Ready DVD players or is that stuff included? What kinds of hardware makes a DVD player Upconversion? Does it make the DVD’s clearer if you have this feature but don’t have an HD TV?
    -Does the DVD player need to mention specifically in the “specs” that it plays Divx files as I would like for the DVD player to be capable of playing Divx files?

I had an APEX and it not only is loud but has basically broken by opening and closing the tray if I hit “open”. I also have a Philips DVD player that reads and skips through chapters quickly on burned movies whereas my other DVD player works but reads them slower and can skips sometimes. The Philips DVD player is about 2 years old or less and works great but it has been starting to smear movies and sometimes skips as I do want to see what else is out there but am not eliminating Philips in a choice. I feel that age or brand made the difference as I have never had luck with Sony products and will stay away from them. This is what I have narrowed down my DVD player choices. Please let me know anything from personal experience or personal research that I have missed. Please answer any or all questions I have posed as I would really appreciate this.

Philips 5140/37
    Philips DVD Player w/ Divx playback
    Coby Progressive Scan DVD Player, DVD-233
    Magnovox Progressive Scan DVD Player, MDV460
    Magnovox Progressive Scan DVD Player/Divx, MWD7006
    Maganvox DVD Player w/ HDMI and Upconversion, BDP170MW8

My sources for these DVD players come from Walmart.com and Bestbuy.com reviews and reading up on another website.

Thank you for responses and inputting experience with any of these would be terrific.

2. score0412

score0412 Member

I am also considering the Philips DVD Player with HDMI Digital Video and Audio Connection DVP5960. Please consider that into my original thread. Thank you, again.