DVD Players w/USB

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by jwhitt12, Mar 5, 2009.

1. jwhitt12

jwhitt12 Member

I have a dvp5990/37 Philips DVD player. I discovered that it has a USB port on the front. It loads and plays AVI and DIVX files. This is a handy thing! It will not play mpeg4. I was wondering if anybody knows of other DVD players that might have more codecs installed (mine allows for upgrades, but they have not installed any more codecs). It would also be good if they played ISO files (conversions are not fun).

I checked the list of DVD players but usb and codecs are not part of search attributes. I cannot find any references to this, hence my question.

Thank you..............

2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

The best player, which will play about 90some% of the codecs available, is an old XBOX with XBMC installed. Period. Nothing can beat it.

What codec was used to encode those mpeg4 files? If it was H/X.264, then no go. If it was Xvid/Divx, then it should work.

Play an ISO- usually if the movie is in an ISO, then you have the entire DVD. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a Divx/mpeg4 player.

So, Google XBMC. Look on ebay for a cheap XBOX(less that $40 or so). You'll never regret.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009