dvd+r copys

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by lynx0069, Jun 28, 2006.

1. lynx0069

lynx0069 Member

i have a backup on a dvd+r, and the original is damaged. i need to make a new backup, but my software says there is nothing on the dvd+r even though it plays in a stand alone dvd player fine. how can i make a backup of this dvd+r. the software i have tried is; dvdshrink, dvdfab, and vobblanker. help!!!!!

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

did you use the burner that made the disk? Put the disk back in the burner and then use DVDFab to rip to the hard drive and you can use any copy program to put those files on to disk.......

Your burner should recognize the disk it burnt! go to MY COMPUTER and check you disk out. It should show up on the drive that burnt the disk.

3. lynx0069

lynx0069 Member

no, its not the same burner that burned the disc. my new burner is an LG GSA-4165B. my original burner packed it in and was relegated to the burn pile. i tried ripping the movie to my hdd using dvdfab. am i sol trying to copy this and just pray i dont damage it

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

Sounds like your new drive does not like your backup disk. what media did you use to do the back of your movie? Using quality media will stop these kind of problems. Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden, Maxell, Sony...... MADE IN JAPAN disks are best.

ok..... even though you have a new burner..... check to make sure you have the current and up to date firmware for that burner. Download DVDDecrypter, it's a free program:
    http://fileforum.betanews.com/download/DVD_Decrypter/1011845169/1
    Open up DVDDecrypter and go to TOOLS/DRIVE/CHECK FOR FIRMWARE UPDATE. make sure you choose your new drive in the source window before doing this. It will tell you that you have to be connected to the internet and will also tell you your current firmware.

Firmware for your burner as that sets new write strategies for new media thats out..

Firmware is programming that is inserted into a programmable memory area of your drive, thus becoming a permanent part of a drive. This 'software' is called firmware and can be updated with a firmware flasher. Every company has its own methods to allow you to do a firmware upgrade. A firmware upgrade can add new functionality to your drive. Also bug fixes and improvements are done by firmware upgrades.

hopefully you can upgrade your firmware and this could solve your problem. but if your firmware is already up to date...... then maybe a friends computer can rip your disk to the hard drive or make a copy for you! good luck.

5. lynx0069

lynx0069 Member

thanks IHoe, i did a firmware upgrade and that got the drive to recognize the disc. appreciate the help. :)

6. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

welcome to Afterdawn...... by the way..... what was that disk anyway? was it Memorex? Sony? what brand was it? and what speed? 8x? 16x?

7. lynx0069

lynx0069 Member

hey IHoe, thanks. it is a maxell 8x. i've started to use sony's now though, to me they seem to be of better quality, at least in my limited experience. and i can still get them resonably cheep at walmart. $24 for 50 here in the Great White North.