1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R Ritek vs Verbatim

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by nabster, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Ortha

Ortha Guest

You can find a good spread of media at http://dvdr.co.uk They have the occasional bargain and sell the top brands at reasonable prices. Their [bold]4x TDKs[/bold] are dirt cheap at the mo. Check it out

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2004
  2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

If anyone was to think of going to dvdr.co.uk I [bold]do not[/bold] recommend buying TDKs at all (as they're known to be problematic as you can find out by researching thru this very DVD-R Media forum).

Instead I would suggest/recommend buying the Verbatim ... a top brand & not expensive.

If you buy very cheap media you may well pay the cost of the disc being problematic after a time (even if all seems well on initial burn).

HERB

3. axess68

axess68 Member

I've been using the regular Ritek DVD+R 4.7gb discs from Newegg. They've been pretty reliable for me. The only time I got a coaster was when I made a mistake and chose the wrong options on a burn. These DVD's have the silvery top and the purple writing side. I haven't had any problems with them yet other than when I messed with the recording process.

Should I use Verbatim's next or stick with Riteks? Should I start using Ridata?

I'm ordering another 50 pack on the 30th because I've been burning PS2 games like mad!

4. nabster

nabster Member

If it ain't broke don't fix it. I've tried the Verbatim's and the Riteks. I'll only buy Riteks from now on, got way too many verbatim's coming back on me.

5. axess68

axess68 Member

Is there any danger of writing on the silvery side to label them? I've been using a regular Sharpie black marker and never had any problems with any of my CD's.

I was thinking of getting the DVD-R discs this time with the white inkjet top. Would that be safer to use with the Sharpie? Or doesn't it matter? Does it matter if I use DVD+R or DVD-R?

6. nabster

nabster Member

nah you can write on the DVD's no worries, and any disc for that matter. The only thing I don't like about the printable top discs is that if you stick a label over the top of them it can make them heat up enough to distort a movie in some standalone players.

7. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

Herbsman:
    DigitalFAQ.com rates TDK in their highest quality tier, a category better than Ritek. Check it out: http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Costco recently had the 25 pk 4X TDK DVD-R for $25, get another spindle free! Net = $0.50 per disk for first class, brand name media. Not one coaster! You may want to give them another chance.

8. nabster

nabster Member

I've used TDK in the past. For sheer compatitablity with as many standalone players as possible though I use Ritek G04's.

9. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

StanH1000:
    I'll not be going anywhere nr TDK DVD-Rs anytime time soon mate as I have heard from hundreds of users via this forum & always hear of problems ... plus I use Taiyo Yuden Verbatims a lot now [which are well known to be top class media].
    One thing I would say & that is I'm not in USA so that list compiled on that site (as a guide) would maybe slightly differ for me...

TYG01/TYG02 or G04/G05 for me !!:c]

10. axess68

axess68 Member

I'm definitely sticking with Ritek. Like it was said: If it aint broke, don't fix it.

11. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

The TDK 4X DVD-R I am referring to is TTG01.
    Hmmmm.... Could this be same dye as TYG01 ?

12. cdub998

cdub998 Member

13. cdub998

cdub998 Member

14. axess68

axess68 Member

But those are 4x.. Wouldn't it be better to get the 8X?

15. cdub998

cdub998 Member

Do you burn at 8x? Cause I know most people don't. I burn between 1x-2x depending on what it is. The faster you burn the worse the burn. DO it nice and slow and they come out great every time. (btw sorry about the double post there)

16. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... The BEST deals on Ritek media (at least what I've found) is:

$36 for 100 8x G05 (-R)
    h**p://store.yahoo.com/supermediastore/ritek-ridata-8x-dvd-r-retail-10off-mir-page.html

and

$39 for 100 4x R01 (RICHOJPN produced +R)
    h**p://store.yahoo.com/supermediastore/ritek-ridata-4x-dvd-plus-r-retail-10off-mir.html

I use either depending which I can get the good price on, never burning faster than 2x ... personally I think that the absolute best Ritek discs are the R01 RICOHJPN, I have never had a coaster using these discs and they play on every machine I've stuck them in!

Last minute add-on ... on the +R discs, if you use coupon code afterdawn3 you'll save $3...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2004
  17. axess68

axess68 Member

I burn at 8X. Now whether the burner burns at 8x or not, that's another story! ;)

All my games work well though. I guess, for safety's sake, I should start burning at 4x from now on.

18. cdub998

cdub998 Member

Well at least for ps2 games and stuff like that you really stress your laser out when you run a disk that is burnt at 8x. Shortens your lifespan.

19. axess68

axess68 Member

I didn't know that!

Well, I will burn at a slower speed from now own. I've watched the speed readout while it was burning and it never seemed to get ver far above 4x though. So, perhaps that's why my copies seem to work so well.

20. psmo290

psmo290 Member

i recently burned starwars battlefront for the ps2, it's a perfect copy, but i've notice scratching noises when the game is loading, is this normal?

i'm using sony dvd-r