1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Rebuilder with CCE Basic Vs. DVD Shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by neilm247, Jun 7, 2004.

1. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]I guess as long as they are working it doesn't really matter[/bold] Spoke too soon?

I had one F--- up with RB/CCE since fixing it and it was in the Butterfly Effect with remake. Redid it and it turned out fine. It was the 1st time I had made a back up with that infinifilm feature.

2. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

OK...what's Infinifilm .. and what did you do to make it work? I just did BE part 1. I used 3.2 beta for part 2 right before the final was released. I do think I used CCE for part one and didn't have a problem. I usually note on the hub what process I used, but didn't do it this time.

3. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

Well, as you probably got the post, Shrink has its own section. What's the first question?

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Infinifilm throws up little production facts, deleted scenes, commentary, etc. as you're watching the film. You click on it with your remote as the movie plays and you get all this stuff. Makes your files quite a bit longer. It was only on the director's cut. Not the theatrical version. The one I bought was a flipper and had both. Endings were totally different,btw. I ended up making mine a 2-disc backup because it was too long, even for RB/CCE.

Rush Hour 2 also has the infinifilm feature, I think it is becoming more popular.

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Doc, 1st question? There's already 34 pages of shrink related questions! I definitely think this will help shrink users and thinning out DVD-r newbies forum.

6. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

No doubt it will do that ... and has already started. This part is a good thing for the near term. The main concern is what could happen over the long term? Sort of like the treatment that kills the patient. I guess if the patient survives here, it was the proper treatment.

The thing is no one knows the future. But there was some history that said it could be a bad move. But it's a done-deal now, and I am certainly not going to "lament" over the change. ...just go with the flow. :)

And just to clarify ... I don't think you were "wrong" in your decision or your assessment. I saw both sides, and was almost 50-50 on it. I just tended toward the conservative approach.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2004
  7. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

Update. I was able to get Catch Me If You Can to go through this time. I do like that CCE quality.

About Infinifilm. Does RB deal with that OK. It's not like angles or INLV's, is it?

8. brobear

brobear Guest

Doc409
    Noticed you mentioned emulators and ISO. Easy as falling down. You are a fan of DVD Decrypter, just switch to ISO Read in the Mode selection. You get one big ISO and an MDS. Some progs use the MDS for setup. The big ISO is what you mount in an emulator. DVD Shrink can pick them up with the open disc image under Files or useing the Open Disc when ISO is mounted in an emulator. BTW, the freebie Daemon is a good choice. Surprised you didn't read about ISO in the Decrypter guide. ISO loaded in an emulator can be used by just about all recording software. In fact, I haven't met the prog that will read from a physical disc that won't read ISO with an emulator. ISO on the HD is faster than a ROM. I've been known to rip several discs to HD at once and then load the ISOs to an emulator and record one after the other. I've got an extra 250GB HD in case you're wondering.

As far as Shrink having its own section, I am ambivalent. There are good and bad aspects. Hope it doesn't become more a cult following. It is good software, but there is better as well as worse (definitely not better at the same cost). I don't see any sections for WinDVD software or some of the other major brands (good or bad).

9. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

About the Shrink section, I was also ambivalent, especially once I considered the points of your argument. Time will tell...

I have some Shrink results gathering that aren't too flattering for the higher compressions. I'm not seeing the benefits of deep analysis vs. the time factor or the end quality. I had a 6.4 Gig in the Shrink cooker for 2-1/2 hours. Might as well gone to CCE. I'm thinking I will wait a couple of weeks, and if someone hasn't started a thread about it, I might, and take the heat.

Thanks for the explanation about ISO's. I started doing DVD's right when DVDXCopy came out. And then I got DVD2One, and dropped out of the AD forum. When I returned, I found Shrink and Decrypter ... and File mode was the first mode I tried, and so I stayed with it. Like big-O says, if it ain't broke... ...So, I never bothered to try the ISO route, but the curiosity remained. I also went back a bit in the forum and read some discussions about ISO v. IFO v. File. It just didn't seem like a route I needed to take to get better quality. However, when there are discussions about ISO files, I sense that there is something that those who go that route have a certain appreciation for, that those of us who don't use ISO's, don't have? I think I'll take the time to run through the process and maybe it will begin to make sense.

BTW, the PM. RE: Mason-Dixon? :)

10. 64026402

64026402 Active member

My first rip is to an ISO so it helps me keep track of the source. I use alcohol 120 to keep the images in front of me and to mount them.

From there I usually do DVDremake then CCE if the movie still needs compression. Then finish with Shrink to check for size and extra audio tracks and turn it to an iso again at the same time.
    Then I'll mount it, view it then if happy I'll burn it with Alcohol.

Start ISO. Finish ISO.
    After the finished DVD is watched completely I will loose the ISOs.

My fast version is Rebuilder one click with Anydvd then Nero straight from the files.

11. brobear

brobear Guest

Doc409
    Run a search with DAEMON in caps and go back a few months.

I found a good guide on Daemon and one for Decrypter that covered all the modes, file, ifo and iso. Check out Doom9 and see if they're still there. That was what got me started using the ISO. Now I switch back and forth for what is easiest and what a particular software best uses. I can't say it is really better. However it does add to ones arsenal of useful tools. Besides, you are a Decrypter fan, you should learn all it can do.

12. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I have used DVDshrink 3.2. It does seem on par with IC8 quality wise. It should be a good second choice when needed. I have been to busy with Rebuilder to do a lot of shrink testing.
    Shrink deserves an area of its own as I believe Rebuilder/CCE/Remake and any associated programs need a specific area for those desiring high end results.

CCE is not as wide spread but it is of considerable importance as the main encoding based DVD backup option.

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Hey doc, 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. I don't think quality is better either way, just a different mode of transportation getting there(like all these damn apps we have, talk to sophocles, lol).

I use Mark's tray player to view files before I burn (and after some if there's problems). Very little informative tool. It's free, i can give you the link if you're interested or you may already have it. Either jdobbs or vurbal talk about it in the RB/CCE threads.

I use windvd 6 for comparisons as you well know and I have gone both ways (does that sound right? lol) with ISO and file mode. Brobear makes a good point with the way he uses them. I've got Alchohol 120, great little app btw, if you haven't tried it. Really good for bin/cue files.

I'm still getting that server error message, how about you?

14. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

64026402 ... this is an interesting process. The CCE output should not need any more compression, should it? So, the trip to Shrink is basically to remove unwanted audio, right? And also to turn it back into an ISO once again to burn? Why not just burn the File mode output? Why is the ISO so important at this stage? Also, I go through the same basic process in file mode. I'm not getting it? Is it just one of those user preference things?

EDIT: @brobear. Thanks for the lead on Daemon.

15. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

bigorange...I have Mark's Tray, but it went TU. I can't figure out why it won't work anymore. I really liked it, though, and would rather use it. I have a "fresh install" that is due, and maybe then I'll have it working again.

Edit: The server speed has picked up quite a bit for me in the last hour. The last 2 days have been bad. Maybe a lot of Shrink d/l's?

_

16. brobear

brobear Guest

Something strange was happening with the server. May have been those cultists siphoning off some more goodies.

Doc, noticed you saw that convoluted use of ISO. That was a bit extreme, but I didn't want to jump on anyone's favorite toy. I just found ISO easier to deal with in some apps. Like feeding a HD file to apps set up to run with a disc only. It works with CD as well. Once you get used to using an emulator, it's easier than loading a physical disk and you know where the files are (not like hunting a disc on my cluttered desk). Those big ISO emblems in the browser stand out as well (depending on the prog that has ISO priority).

I even noticed a little mention of using an ISO in an emulator and loading that to RB/CCE. It was small mention and easily overlooked.

17. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

Yeah, the feeding frenzy likely caused the equivalent of a virus's denial of service attack.

[​IMG]

The fog is starting to clear on ISO's. Thanks for taking the time and patience to explain it, and refer me to other aspects about them. Also, I don't have the time for computer games, but my son does. I can see where a virtual drive would be real nice with Warcraft or one of those.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2004
  18. brobear

brobear Guest

Emulators do have their uses. And ISO are easy to use once you get used to handling one big file. As I said, just another handy tool to use in recording and we can never have too many of those.

I'll make no mention of virus, I wouldn't want to disappear.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2004
  19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

No way am I getting into another sig game. I spent 7 hour and 30 minutes with only a 50 minute break learning how to write a new Professional Development Plan that will conform to the new "NO Child Left Behind Law, and adequate yearly progaress," and at the end of the day 70 bewildered teachers left in a hurry. I figure a couple of stouts might do just fine right now.

20. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

Sophocles ... 'Nice to have you drop in. Sounds like a challenging day, and no joke intended there. It sounds like those "students from hell" are "gonna hafta git sum lurnin'" whether they want to or not with this No Child Left Behind Law? The concept is good, the reality might be something else. It does sound like ya'll are required to do a bit of a magic act?

[​IMG]

If you haven't seen already, Shrink got its own forum while you were gone. If brobear was in his grave, he'd be rolling over in it right now. Anyway, I was kinda hopin' you'd throw in a sig just for jollies? (just one?) :)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2004