DVD ROM ?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by buckshoot, Apr 9, 2003.

1. buckshoot

buckshoot Member

I just built a new computer and decided to re-use the OEM DVD-ROM from my '99 Compaq. It will play some movies but not all (yes, they are all region 1 movies). It appears that it will only play single layer older DVD's and not the newer dual layer. Could this be the case or could something else be wrong? Please give me some suggestions as what I should look for or change. Thanks.

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I'd suggest buying a new Lite-On 165H (£34:99)
    Doesn't get much cheaper than that.And it's a superb drive !!

Last edited: May 12, 2003
  3. smg

smg Regular member

Herbs? What DVD-ROM would you recommend for use in ripping? I have the Pioneer A05 but am told that it is not that good for reading as a dvd-rom is (I guess that the dvd rom is better for reading while ripping)according to what I am getting from a few posts. But what is your recomendation? I have am Athlon 1.6GHZ with win XP home.
    Thanks for your help.

4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Some would say that your Pioneer 105 is perfect for ripping , please read :
    ------------------------------------------

Flashing the Pioneer DVR-A05 & DVR-105

Since a lot of people are having trouble flashing their Pioneer drives, it seemed handy to create a little FAQ.

Ofcourse this FAQ will probably not answer ALL your questions, but if it doesn't, just open a topic here.

Q:This hacked firmware stuff, what is that about?
    A:Well, as you might have noticed, burning-speed to a DVD-r media is limited by the drive. Because of this, you can only write at higher speeds to certain media, if this media is certified by Pioneer. Because some media which aren't certified by Pioneer, allow faster burning then 1x (for example : in a different DVD-Recorder), we also should be able to burn them faster.

To accomplish this either Pioneer itself or some 3rd party should add MediaID's (read below) to the media-table in the firmware of the drive. Ofcourse Pioneer isn't doing this, so programmers here try to do this.

Q:So, a hacked firmware actually enables me to burn faster to slow media?
    A:In short, YES.

Q:OK, that sounds pretty cool. Where can I get those nice firmwares ?
    A:Right here ! :

WARNING : Usage of ALL firmwares is at your own risk, never come crying to us, complaining that your drive was killed.

*Pioneer A05/105 v1.30 - RPC-1 + 2x4all AND 12xRIP Final : Credit goes to >NIL: & zaitec2
    ----------------------------------------------

This page is here ; http://forum.rpc1.com/viewtopic.php?t=12632

[bold]BUT [/bold] my post above still applies...Lite-On 165H rips at X12 straight out of the box & you then have another drive so as to burn 'on-the-fly' plus it's ONLY £35. (SoO0 cheap)!!

Hope my comments have helped? : )-

5. smg

smg Regular member

Thank you Herbs. Yes, your answere helped me tremendously as did your FAQ. I appreciate you taking the time to help :)
    Chrnc rules