1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink 3.1.2...Copy Protection Error, Incorrect function

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by kugaloo, Jan 17, 2004.

1. kugaloo

kugaloo Guest

I am trying to back up my Family Guy DVD's using DVD Shrink 3.1.2. When it comes to 'back up', encoding function, a caution dialog box appears that reads: "DVD SHrink encountered an error and cannot continue. Copy Protection Error. Incorrect function." I tried disabling/enabling Region, and tried using the 'Hard Drive' and 'Image Recorder' for Target Device. I thought this program disabled copy protection such as Macrovision, etc? This is my first use with DVD Shrink. Thanks!

2. RWG

RWG Regular member

Check your original for scratches or smudges. Shrink does disable copy protection and Macrovision. Try using DVD Decrypter to see if it will rip the DVD.

RWG

3. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

try playing the dvd on your computer first, then open dvd shrink.

4. Karateka

Karateka Member

I have the same problem with my Pioneer 120S DVD-ROM (FW v1.01) but it works fine with my Plextor 708a DVD-R/RW (FW v1.04). It is not a matter of scratches or smudges cause I tried many DVD movies and some of them brand new. It might have something to do with the firmware. I will get back to this forum after I run some tests with other DVD-ROMS.

5. lova1979

lova1979 Member

getting the same error, I dont get the error with version 2.3 however.

6. lancets

lancets Member

I have seen the same problem on almost every DVD with DVD Shrink 3.1.3, 3.1.4, and 3.1.5. The highest version that works for me is 3.0 beta 5, and prior to that, version 2.3 worked fine too. Something related to copy protection seems to have changed. I'll try the firmware suggestion, as that seems to explain why it works for some but not for others.

7. lancets

lancets Member

I upgraded my firmware on my Sony DRU-510A from version 1.0c to 1.0f, and the issue seems to be resolved. At first I didn't think so, but found that DVD Shrink was giving a slightly different error, and then I realized that it wasn't even reading the DVD yet as the drive light never came on. So I then removed the empty directory that was created when I tried with the earlier firmware, and then it worked perfectly. DVD Shrink was able to analyze and encode an entire DVD that had been failing earlier on the 1.0c firmware. So, I've found two things that can cause this:
    1. Firmware revision issues, so try upgrading firmware (not sure why 2.3 and 3.0b5 worked so well for me on the earlier firmware, but something must have changed in how the software communicates with the drive).
    2. Directory already exists, so delete the empty directory (I hope the author can fix this one, as this one is quite silly).

8. slobdog

slobdog Member

I too am having trouble with my Pioneer 120S and shrink 3.1.4, it will copy some DVDs just fine, but then others, e.g. 2fast2furious it gets 1/2 to 3/4 through the rip and then gets a read error - it has to be the drive because my old hitatch DVD rom worked fine and my pioneer a06 burner drive works fine. I can't find any updated firmware anywhere though

9. Karateka

Karateka Member

Ok here is the verdict. Pioneer 120S will never work even if you upgrade DVDShrink to v3.1.6. Try Plextor 116 and you will do yourself a favor as it works perfectly and very fast (from 4X to 12X). Pioneer A07 & NEC 2500 DVD writer will also co-operate perfectly with DVDShrink, LG-4081 is OK but slower, Plextor 708A will be OK as well. NEC will also write +/-R Taiyo-Yuden 4X, That's 4X, Fuji 4X & Maxwel 4X at a 8X speed with no problem. It will also burn any CD with Taiyo-Yuden surface at 32X instead of 16X that the NEC is capable of. Pioneer A07 will burn at 8X only +/-R DVDs that are made for 8X but if you upgrade with the latest firware, they say (haven't checked it yet) that you can write many DVDs 4X at a 8X speed (like Princo they say). LG cannot write 8X at any disk I tried (it usually reaches an 6X speed instead) and Plextor will write 8X at +R faster than the previously mentioned recorders.

10. slobdog

slobdog Member

damn, I wish I new that before I bought it, cos that sucks. I wonder if pestering pioneer for firmware to fix it would help - probably not, boo!

or maybe if i report it to the peeps who makes DVD shrink to see if they can remedy it - probably they can't, boo!

thanks for the info though

11. Karateka

Karateka Member

The latest Pioneer 120S firmware I find is 1.01RPC-1 but it didn't solve the problem.

12. RWG

RWG Regular member

I just looked on the DVD Shrink site. Version 3.1.6 beta 1 contains a fix for the Pioneer 120S.

Try it - http://www.dvdshrink.org

Luck-