1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink and Windows Vista

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by nran2005, Mar 1, 2007.

1. ptaylor19

ptaylor19 Member

I am using DVD HD Decrypter 5 (have for some time)...the only thing that has changed is using Nero 8 because new pc is VISTA...old pc was XP PRO and used Nero 6...when i play burned DVD on new Samsung Div-x upconverting DVD player, was getting playback issues...tried playing burned DVD on older Koss DVD player (which has never ever had any problems playing burned DVDs from older pc) will not play the new DVDs burned on pc with VISTA and Nero 8 properly

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

This isn't a Vista issue. I use the same programs that you do and have no issues what-so-ever. You've got a new PC with a new burner, is the firmware current. You say you use DVDFab HD Decrypter, but is it up to date...they release updates almost weekly if not more often. Your new burner may simply not like the Maxell and Memorex media you are using. Burners are just like media in regards to varying quality...what worked on/with your old PC just may not work as well with your new one. You have to find the right mix of media/firmware to do the job that you want done.

3. sKrEwZ

sKrEwZ Guest

I can second that as well. With the obvious exception of Nero 8. I only use Imgburn and have yet to have any issues with it. But, I always use the good quality blank media.

Honestly it seems like you've been given all of the correct advice, perhaps you should take it.

4. ptaylor19

ptaylor19 Member

downloaded the most recent version of DVD HD Decrypter on weekend...being new PC...installed Nero 8 and downloaded DVD Shrink on weekend too...assumed firmware for DVD burner was current...have downloaded all updates for VISTA...earlier responses stated that DVD Shrink does not work properly with Nero 8...is it possible that is the problem as opposed to the media...do not really want to go buy a new spindle of DVD-Rs just yet unless am 100% sure that is problem..thx for your help and patience on this

5. sKrEwZ

sKrEwZ Guest

Imgburn can check for you. Tools, Drive, Check for Firmware Update.

First issue is the incompatibility between Nero 8 and Dvd Shrink. Secondly is your blank media which it appears your drive is not fond of. It's very difficult (if not impossible) to get quality burns with inferior media!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2008
  6. LOCOENG

DVD Shrink doesn't work with Nero regardless of Vista or XP in the sense that Nero doesn't support linking for autoburning. I gave you a link to DVD Shrink with Imgburn that you can select Imgburn for autoburning upon completion of your project. Nero should still work if you want to manually burn your project. Give Imgburn a try and post a log whether good or bad so we can see what is going on.

EDIT:

Actually that doesn't work as intended right now due to the recent restructuring of rpc1.org...chef has been contacted and they are supposed to be working on a solution.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  7. ptaylor19

ptaylor19 Member

Thank you very much for your time, advice and patience. It is appreciated and not taken lightly or dismissed. Came here for help and do appreciate it. Quick remedy (and no cost) seems to be to try IMGBURN. If that solves problem then great. If not, will then try different media. Thanks again.

8. LOCOENG

Cheers, keep us posted.

9. sKrEwZ

sKrEwZ Guest

I was not aware of that. Thank-you for the correction!

10. LOCOENG

I have my doubts for it ever working the same again anytime soon if ever.

11. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

yeah that firmware check with ImGBurn has been bonkers for months and will not be fixed most likely. The firmware page was changed for the worse as far as I see it.

12. sKrEwZ

sKrEwZ Guest

That's sad. I've used that many times on many friends pc's trying to keep them up to date. I hope it bounces back into a productive state.

13. ptaylor19

ptaylor19 Member

i downloaded IMGBURN...and in preference deselected Nero...how do i get DVD Shrink to use IMGBURN to burn the DVD now?

14. sKrEwZ

sKrEwZ Guest

15. ptaylor19

ptaylor19 Member

i apologize if this is becoming annoying and if you want me to stop asking for help let me know and i will stop...i followed the instructions and ran the step so that imgburn is set on the dvd shrink...do i have to run that .exe each time?...if i close dvd shrink and then run it from the original desktop shortcut the imgburn is gone....next thing is the dvd shrink looks different for burn options...the original dvd shrink had the select backup target going to the dvd burner...now it shows something with .iso...what do i do with that...and it no longer has the select target folder for dvd output files...used to be relatively easy to burn a dvd...now it seems more awkward and i really do not understand what it is that i am trying to do...thanks

16. ptaylor19

ptaylor19 Member

thank you to all, especially sKrEwZ, for all of your assistance...was finally able to burn a dvd using DVD Shrink and IMGBURN that actually plays in the dvd player...definitely a lot more of a pain than when DVD Shrink worked with Nero 6...thanks again for everyone's help and patience...does anyone know if DVD Shrink has any plans on making it work with Nero 8

17. ptaylor19

ptaylor19 Member

sKrEwZ....any idea why an original dvd playing in a new samsung upconvert dvd player keep getting blank tv picture with msg on tv that searching for signal..using HDMI cable...this lasts for a second or less and then returns to the movie, plays the movie for short period of time and then does it again...when i play the same movie that i just made a copy of last night (with your help)the copy plays fine...why would the dvd player not play the original properly yet plays the copy...too many new toys all at once

18. sKrEwZ

sKrEwZ Guest

Not going to happen ptaylor19. Dvd Shrink hasn't been, nor will be updated any further. Ever. I personally prefer Imgburn over Nero anyway. :)

As far as your other concern goes, I'm not sure why an upconverting player doesn't seem to like the commercial dvd's.

19. ptaylor19

ptaylor19 Member

sKrEwZ...thanks...and thanks again for all of your help and patience...it is greatly appreciated...definitely would not have figured this one out on my own...cheers and thanks again

20. sKrEwZ

sKrEwZ Guest

That's what AD is here for ptaylor19. To help. There's quite a few people here who helped you out, I certainly cannot take full credit. The regulars here are professionals with this stuff. Any other issues please feel free to ask. :)