1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD shrink Data Error (cyclic redundancy check)

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by weehawk, Nov 8, 2004.

1. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

A long swab dampened with alcohol would work if you can get at the head for the door. We used to use special long swabs for cleaning tape deck heads, but I've not seen those available for a while.

You hit the nail on the head with the media. Usually we can't figure out which manufacturer produced a DVD until we get it home and open the pack. Even the distinctive dark purple dye used by Ricoh can't be seen until the package is opened. Some of the online media vendors will tell you which company made a particular DVD if you're ordering. Some list the info along with the other relevant info.

2. ShtHappen

ShtHappen Member

Hello all:

I have a newb question (as I am a newb)... I've spent the last 4 hrs reading all the posts on this thread and a couple of others and now think I'm more confused than b4...

I am having a problem with a dvd I bought used. It plays fine in my dvd player and also on the pc if I just want to play it in media player.

Here is what I use:

Windows Xp Home
    Version 2002
    Service pack 2

Sony DVD RW DW-Q30A (newest driver update)

AMD 3000+
    1 gig Ram
    300 gig HD with 109 gigs free

AnyDVD 6.3.0.3(newest update)
    DVD Shrink 3.2.0.15
    DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0

Phillips DVD-R

I am trying to burn Heavy Metal. Problem is when I insert the this dvd into the tray and close it. AnyDVD automatically starts as is supposed too. But it gives me an error from AnyDVD, if I bypass it and try to open the dvd with DVD Shrink I get another error. These are the error messages:

AnyDVD:
    Warning!
    Failed to read DVD!
    This could have several reasons:
    1.DVD Media is dirty, you can try to clean it. (did this step)
    2.DVD Media is damaged, you have to replace it. (small scratches, not many, very light)
    3.Your drive is a region locked RPC2 drive, which does not allow reading of scrambled sectors from a different region and you try to read a DVD from a different region. Known drive having this problem are RICOH(plays fine, so don't think it is this)/PHILLIPS DVD Writers and Matshita/Panasonic DVD readers and writers. You can try to find a RPC1 patched firmware at http://www.rpc1.com (It plays fine)
    4.Your drive is an RPC2 drive that has not yet been assigned a Region. Try to assign one, or try to find a RPC1 patched firmware at http://www.rpc1.com (checked properties of DVD and it is set to region1)

When I click "ok", open up DVD Shrink and press "Open Disc" I get this message:

DVD Shrink encountered an error and can not continue.
    Failed to read file "D:\"
    Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

I tried ScubaPete's suggestions, minus the vodka part..and still I get the same results...

When I went to www.rpc1.com and found their patch for my dvd re-writer, I read the warning. "We did not write these patches and make no guarantees. Using these patches may cause your DVD player to not function, even after un-installing and reinstalling drivers and devices."

So I am "afraid" to install there patch...

Any suggestions on how to fix these errors or am I just "sht out of luck"? Thanks in advance to all who post their knowledge...

3. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

If your drive needs a firmware upgrade, that is best done from the dealer's support site, either the PC manufacturer or the drive manufacturer.

Cyclic Redundancy is simply your PC being unable to read and the system timing out. You're just looking for what's causing your system to not read and time out. I'm sure you've read the causes. I've stated them many times, as have others. If your system is working okay with other DVDs, then that will tell you if the problem you're having is with the DVD you're trying to record. With AnyDVD on you can try running a DVD Read Scan looking for bad sectors (too many little unreadable spots together will stop a recording even though it may play). Players will sometimes play DVDs that can't be recorded. It could be a matter of copy protection, in that case use the free DVDFab HD Decrypter from DVDIdle to see if you can rip the files to the HDD. If you can get that done, open the files in Shrink. DVDFab won't work right with AnyDVD, so turn off the AnyDVD if you try that suggestion.

4. ShtHappen

ShtHappen Member

Thx PacMan777. I did go to the website for my dvd drive to see if there was any updates. I have the newest. I will try the new program you suggested. I appreciate the help. Thanks for taking the time to educate this newb...

ShtHappens

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

You're welcome. Since you've been changing a few things, you may want to make a copy of a DVD you were succesful with before. If that works out, you know your system is okay and the problem would most likely be with the disk you're having the problems with (whether a physical problem or the copy protection). Good luck and let us know how it turns out. If you have more problems we can help with , just shout.

6. paperb0y

paperb0y Member

Pete, you da man!!! Thank god for hackers like you!!! The disk was just a little dirty. After I did the whole baking power thing, I was able to use dvd shrink with slysoft anydvd.

Thanks for the info, keep up the good work.

7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Add a little flower and yeast and the biscuits should come out fine. :) For discs that are badly scratched I use a resurfacing tool.

8. paperb0y

paperb0y Member

Mr. Pacman...thanks for the heads up. Those biscuits came out just like mama use to make 'em. I will have to get a scratch removal kit sometime soon. Thanks

On another end, I received another error which is common. I don't have the exact error in front of me but it is one I've seen before. Reauthoring the disk in dvd shrink and only using the main movie worked but I wanted the whole disk.

Error: Parameter is invalid

I was able to correct the issue and thought I might share my information. When you get ready to backing the disk up, there is a menu that comes up with tabs/options. Change the priority from: Backup in low priority. Just simply uncheck the box. It's in one of the tabs but I don't have the exact tab name in front of me. This process took a long time but worked without any problems. The dvd plays just fine in my player as well.

Hope this helps someone.

9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

That's a fairly common occurrence. When the copy protection is removed the file structure can get changed. Programs like DVD Shrink will make minor repairs. Some of the newer copy protection removal software helps correct structure while cleaning out the copy protection and decryption. On occasion the decrypted files are too small to be transcoded. When Nero goes to burn I've gotten the warnings about flawed files and they may not be playable. To date I've not gotten one that won't play. The biggest problem I've had is a few with the subtitles playing, which turn off at the flick of a button on the remote.

The best plan is to use the lastest updates for the decryption programs and learn to use FixVTS. Making sure the files are structurally compliant before trying to burn is the best solution.

10. paperb0y

paperb0y Member

Thanks, I'll take a look at the software. So far I've been able to burn at 100% with no problems. I've done quite a bit...I prefer to use Roxio instead of Nero. I use less time worring and have had less problems.

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Some people have no problems running Roxio with other backup software. However, there's a large group that do. As long as it doesn't bother your system, no problem. If you start developing problems, Roxio is usually the first thing most users say to check.

12. paperb0y

paperb0y Member

Thanks I'll keep that in mine. I didn't know that. I actually got version 6.3 of Roxio and it works fine. Got a fam member who's gonna send me version 10. Any suggestions??? I just notice my version doesn't burn at the selected speed which is 18x. I have a 20x burner and 16x cd's so I'm not sure why it burns between 4x-12x!!! It's not that slow but if I can make it faster then it would be pretty sweet.

Check it out to shot the shit

myspace.com/christophercox06

13. lee78221

lee78221 Member

Big Thanks for this I was able to rip my DVD (Blue in the Face) with your directions .

Big Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  14. mpenney

mpenney Regular member

I'm getting the same message on 3:10 to Yuma in DVD Shrink so I tried DVD Decryter / Image burn and got a message that the disc was copy protected. I'm simply trying to back up a copy of the movie. I am also useing the latest version of Imageburn.

What is this new error message about saying the movie is copyright protected?

15. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Neither DVD Shrink, ImgBurn, or DVD Decrypter (in its basic mode) can cope with newer copy protection. Try DVDfab HD Decrypter instead to rip your disk to your HDD and then use Shrink.

http://www.dvdfab.com/mlink/download.php?g=HDDECRYPTER

It's not a good idea to hijack threads. Typing "3:10 to Yuma" in the search box at the top of the page would have resulted in a wealth of information as well.

16. mpenney

mpenney Regular member

Thanks, I was not aware the search engine would do that.
    Again, thanks and I was not per say trying to hijack it just get some help since this thread was still going strong.

17. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Not a problem, mpenney. I just wanted to point out some Afterdawn features to you. It's always best to do a search first and then if what you find doesn't apply or you don't understand what's being offered as a solution, start a new post. Most people don't follow older threads like the one where your post appeared so it could have been overlooked very easily. Welcome to Afterdawn.

18. mpenney

mpenney Regular member

Thanks for the welcoming, I have definatley learned alot from the members here at AfterDawn. Any other tips??

19. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Actually if you just check-in and read through some of the posts in your spare time, you'll be an expert problem-solver in no time. It's quite amazing how much knowledge can be obtained.

20. mpenney

mpenney Regular member

And how is it that your title get's "promoted"?