1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD shrink Data Error (cyclic redundancy check)

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by weehawk, Nov 8, 2004.

1. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Hi again. I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you asking how one goes from newbie to member to senior member, etc.? If so, it is somewhat based on # of posts, tempered by the discretion of the powers that be.

2. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I got here a bit late for the last part of the discussion.

Copy protection changes can effect the different programs in the backup process. If the decryption/copy protection software doesn't clean up the files, then it can cause errors with the transcoding and/or burning software. That can include CRC errors because the recording software can have problems reading the files and time out. However, if the decryption/copy protection software does it's job properly, the processed files should work with about any transcoding/encoding, and burning software. 3:10 to Yuma had another of those problematic copy protections. Once DVDFab and Slysoft got their updates out, there was no problem. With good decryption software, programs like DVD Shrink and ImgBurn have few problems. They're like most of the other available transcoding and burning programs, they have to rely on updated decryption programing to bypass newer copy protections.

Decryption software that isn't supported with updates becomes obsolete as soon as a copy protection pops up that it can't handle. The decryption software in DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, and RipIt4Me are notable programs that have suffered from lost support. The programs can still handle a lot of DVDs without additional, newer programs. Not all the new releases have the heavier copy protection. As a sidenote for newbies, the burning software from DVDD is still supported by LUK as ImgBurn.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  3. Arrh123

Arrh123 Member

Hello guys, Scubapete thanks for the great help in this thread. I have got a really scratched music video dvd I would like to copy/backup. I'm trying scubapetes method right now on the 2nd post here. Is there a way to skip the really bad sections and just keep going? I did everything you said, I clicked both the PUO section things, in both tabs. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,
    T

4. bkm669

bkm669 Member

I had all the problems you had.. I have DvDFab HD Decryptor 4 now and have not any trouble at all. Good luck
    -B

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Sounds like it's time to use a resurfacing tool. If you don't want to try that, go with some rubbing compound and polish the disc. As long as the scratch isn't too deep or gouged into the inner layer, there's a chance of saving the disc.

6. 1IWilly

1IWilly Guest

Hi. My names Willy. First time poster, Long time pirate. I have a problem with Dvd Shrink encountering a cyclic redundancy check when i try ripping certain DVDs to my HD. Mostly new releases. Decrypter also runs into an error. I don't know if they are that awesomely encoded or what. I tried using Petes method and still nothing. I'm at a loss and need to return these movies in like a week. What should i do? Or is there another program that i can use that would be better?

7. bkm669

bkm669 Member

Hey Willy:
    Personally I've had good luck with DVD Cloner and DVD Fab Dycryter HD
    I still use DVDShrink but when I run into the 'cyclic' error, I use one or both of the previously mentioned apps. DVD cloner is always updating their decoding codecs plus they have live support

Good luck

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Willy
    You need to check out the rules. None of my business, but I hate to see folks get in trouble with the staff simply because they weren't aware of the no pirating clause.

If you have a problem backing up one of your purchased DVDs you may want to check into the decryption software. Several of the newer releases can't be processed by DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink. Check out the free DVDFab HD Decrypter.

9. 1IWilly

1IWilly Guest

I apologize and retract my last statement about being a pirate. Just a good ole fashion law abiding citizen :D. Thanks BKM669 for the advice about getting DVD Cloner. I have it but i can't burn it to a DVD cause it's to big a file. I have tried accessing it with DVD Shrink but it gives me an eror saying invalid data in file. Any ideas on what i shoud do?

10. bkm669

bkm669 Member

Yea use dvd cloner to decode it to a file, That will create/decode your video_ts and audio_ts folders. then open up dvdshrink, find the video_ts folder you just created using dvd cloner and burn that using dvd shrink. Or simply buy a dvd9 disc and do a 1:1 copy w/ dvd cloner

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

The first thing to check when doing new releases is to make sure your decryption is done properly. There are several new releases that DVD Shrink can't process by itself. In fact from time to time DVD Decrypter was needed to rip for DVD Shrink back when both were still being supported. So, the situation isn't anything new. Use a known good decryption program that can bypass the newer copy protection. DVDFab HD Decrypter is a good free program that still has support. Rip the files with DVDFab and then use DVD Shrink to open the files and transcode (compress) to fit DVD5. The best check to make sure the decryption is good is the quick analysis when Shrink first opens. If it does that successfully, then you have a safe bet the final output will be good. Nero users with Recode have the same with that quick analysis. After all, they are clones.

12. bkm669

bkm669 Member

Yep that what I said

13. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

It didn't appear to be. Here is what you said:
    Why use Shrink if you're going to use Cloner? DVD Cloner is an alternative to DVD Shrink, plus from what I've seen, a retail option. Last time I looked, this was the DVD Shrink forum. DVDFab HD Decrypter is the decryption software from DVDFab Platinum. It's free and it's sole purpose is to remove encryption and copy protection. It's not intended to replace Shrink, just work with it.

14. bkm669

bkm669 Member

Because I was in the understanding that he was worried about getting the movie onto a dvd5 disc. No worries.
    If you read his first post I believe he says its "too big of a file"

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  15. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

DVD Cloner, or at least the version I'm familiar with compresses to DVD5. It's similar to Shrink. Both can output to DVD9 or compress to DVD5. Cloner has updated decryption capabilities, but Shrink, as I mentioned before, benefits from the free DVD HD Decrypter for a free solution to backing up DVDs. Currently DVDFab HD Decrypter is the reigning decryption solution for standard DVD. It's been doing releases that AnyDVD had troubles with.

I've nothing against your choice of software. That's personal preference. I was just making a suggestion on how to use the software being discussed in this forum section instead of offering up replacements. Most of us have out favorites and as long as they work, no problem.

16. bkm669

bkm669 Member

Ok cool .I have both applications and know what they do.
    Thanks.
    DVDFab Decryptor HD is excellent and so is Cloner and yes DVDFab is free. Hopefully Willy has got it done by now

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  17. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

That's an exact quote of the first post. Nothing about too large at that point, just a matter of getting the software to work properly. Cyclic redundancy can be caused by different things, including the software being unable to decrypt the DVD properly and timing out. Another common problem is smudged and scratched discs. Then it gets a bit more complicated. The decryption has to be correctly done before going on to transcoding (compressing) the files.

18. bkm669

bkm669 Member

19. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Lets hope. LOL Maybe he'll drop back in and let us know how it turned out.

20. heav85

heav85 Member

I have tried using dvd decyrptor, and dvd shrink like everyone has suggested but I still get the crc message. I used the file mode method on decryptor and then went into shrink and backed it up and the disk doesn't work in either of my dvd players. This happens to every dvd i've tried lately. Zombi 2, No country for old men, and saw 4. The last movie I was able to back up was 10 things I hate about you, and then tried the de vinci code and thats where the trouble all started. Its killing me I can't back these things up. Can someone help me please. I have nero 7 essentials, do I need more than that, and is there any freeware out there I can use. THANKS heav.