1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink failed to write/The parameter is incorrect.

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by X9090, Mar 26, 2011.

1. X9090

X9090 Member

Alright so after scouring these boards for some information on this particular error i've come up with nothing so hopefully someone can clue me in.

Let me first start by giving some specs, running DVD Shrink on a vista laptop. This is the first time I have ever seen this message and it only happens when I try to write or read files from an external USB3.0 western digital 3TB my book essentials hard drive. I can back up movies to my laptop hard drive, the secondary internal drive, and even to a different USB2.0 drive also a western digital but only a 1TB.

I am left to guess that because the drive is so large, there is some inherent flaw in DVD Shrink that's keeping it from recognizing/writing/reading properly from a 3TB hard drive.

I cannot rip a DVD to the USB 3.0 external nor open the files through DVD Shrink directly from that hard drive. The exact same files can be opened and manipulated as long as they are on a different drive that is not as large. The 3TB drive is formatted NTFS so FAT32 is not an issue. I also run DVD Shrink "as administrator" so that too should not be an issue. The drive is not write-protected and files can be copied and moved with no issues. I can also view the VOB files through Media Player Classic with no issues at all directly from the 3TB drive.

The error looks like this when trying to rip to that drive:

DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue.
    Failed to write ....VTS_01_1.VOB
    The parameter is incorrect.

I replaced the file name since it was irrelevant because it fails at about 7% done with the first VOB file. When trying to open a file from the 3TB HD, DVD Shrink fails to read the IFO file despite the fact that the same exact file can be read from a different location.

Any thoughts?

2. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

3. mate123

mate123 Member

Exact same problem... I can shrink a DVD i purchased to any drive, but NOT the WD 3TB drive. DVD Decryptor works just fine BTW.