1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD SHRINK has encountered a problem?? (Solved, due to IE 8)

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by taylar8, Nov 12, 2008.

1. taylar8

taylar8 Member

Hi everyone! Firstly, apologies for the long thread. I have never had a problem with dvd shrink. Ever. Until recently. I have started to get the dreaded "dvd shrink has encountered a problem and must close..." message whenever i use the reauthor button. This has never been a problem in the past and all the other functions(so far) seem to be fine. I always use the reauthor function for chopping out adverts etc. from tv recorded stuff. I have tried unistalling and reinstalling but to no avail. The only thing i can think that may have caused it is my recent use of Spybot S&D. I deleted a load of found files after my first scan but not being clued up on this stuff i don't know if i've deleted anything important or relative to Shrink. Please help if you can.

2. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

Do you have IE8 installed?

3. taylar8

taylar8 Member

I think so. I did a search for my problem after i posted it and found the IE8 thing. I usually use Firefox as my browser but thought i'd try that too. **IDIOT**. Feel a bit stupid now (not really). Do i have to go back onto Microsofts site and get IE7 again or is there an easier way? Thanks very much

4. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

Go back to IE7.

5. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

Go to add/remove programs to get rid of ie8. You will revert to previous version, either ie7 or ie6 depending how old your machine is. Update accordingly. ie8 is a beta. Why bother?

6. taylar8

taylar8 Member

Removed IE8 and Shrink working perfectly again. Mad or what? MASSIVE THANK YOU for that.

7. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

The massive thank you goes to Dialysis1 :)

8. dblade115

dblade115 Guest

Hi just signed up when I ran across the exact problem I am having. Do you mean to tell me from what I'm reading is that iE8 I just installed two days ago is killing my dvd shrinks ability to re-author?

9. taylar8

taylar8 Member

Yeah 'fraid so. I thoughthere's no way it can be that simple but it is. That's the trouble with betas, they're like a rough cut and need to have all the horrible little bugs removed. Anyway, my DVD Shrink works perfectly again so i'm happy. Dunno why i even bothered with ie8 coz i'm a happy firefox3 user but i thought why not? now i'm thinking why? EVER?

10. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Yes. I've just added this thread to the 'sticky' thread up top of this forum page. I'm sure there are more threads here on this subject, i won't add them all but have added a few to illustrate that this is obviously quite a common problem.

..from http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/675820 -

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  11. dblade115

dblade115 Guest

Well I just unistalled ie8 and shazzam! Dvd Shrink is back in full effect. I agree I don't know why I switched either ie7 is good enough. I also to out Google Chrome they were the last to changes I had made to my system... Don't know if Chrome had any hand in the debocle or not, beside I wasn't that impressed with it. Thnx for the advise guys

12. dblade115

dblade115 Guest

13. Walter47

Walter47 Guest

Hi i was having this problem but i cant get rid of IE without getting rid of windows :S. What can i do to do my faithful dvd shrink working again?!!?!?
    Cheers

14. sorinicu

sorinicu Member

The file that causes DVDShrink to crash at reauthoring it is MSHTML.DLL. It is changed in the system by installing IE8 beta (on a WinXP or Vista machine).

I have replaced it (on safe mode) with one from a machine that didn't have IE8 and DVDShrink was working again. But IE8 won't let me wrote nothing in any fields... Windows Update reverts the file to the "bad" DLL file and DVDShrink won't wor again.

I did raported automatically the problem to MS and they are directing me to update the software from the site DVDShrink-2008.
    R U kindding me? Safary, Wiki tells me that that is a "bad" site!
    MS won't fix IE8 I guess... to bad, I am staying with Safari now!

15. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

If using Vista you can revert to IE7 through Windows Update.

That site is a scam, steer clear. Check the Ultimate Sticky Sticky at the top of the Shrink forum for more detailed reading on that.

16. AOldMan

AOldMan Member

Removal of Internet Explorer 8 from Windows Vista...... Control Panel:..Programs and Features:...Tasks (Top left corner of page)click on "View installed updates".... Find "Windows Internet Explorer 8.... Click on it... Unistall.... Reboot...IE 7 will appear

17. Zamont

Zamont Member

I have IE7 never had 8. I have recently started having the same problems with reauthor specifically if the files are being compressed. any suggestions? Thanks in advance

18. bryston

bryston Regular member

Hi

see if windows did an automatic update to IE 8 w/o your knowledge. You just might have version 8.

Jo

19. Zamont

Zamont Member

I read through the above info and looked in add/remove programs. only windows internet explorer 7

20. bryston

bryston Regular member

Please check the updates in the program files