1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD skipping

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by VivalaVida, Jul 5, 2010.

1. VivalaVida

VivalaVida Member

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I made a DVD of YouTube videos using Windows Live Movie Maker (after converting the files to .wmv with the Prism Video Converter) with a memorex DVD-R disk with 4.7 GB of free space (about 120 minutes of video). I burned the DVD using an HP Pavilion Entertainment PC.
    I filled the disk and there were problems when it played. In the middle of the video, the DVD started to freeze and skip. It got worse as the DVD continued to play.
    I remade the disk and cut video so that it was thirty minutes shorter, but the same problem occured.
    Is there anything else I could do to make a higher-quality DVD?
    Thank you!

P.S. I posted this topic once before, but I think it was in the wrong section. Sorry.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  2. attar

attar Senior member

I would suspect a media problem.
    Consistently reliable DVD blanks are Taiyo-Yuden and Verbatim.
    If you buy Verbatim make sure it says 'Advanced AZO' on the package - avoid Verbatim 'Value Series'.

3. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

If by "the same problem" you mean that the video began to freeze and skip in the middle where it froze before, even after cutting out 30 minutes, that would suggest corrupt video files, not a disc problem. However, if you mean that the freezing started after the same length of time and about the same radial point on the disc, then one might want to consider the medium as a contributing factor. The former is probably a program problem; the latter is possibly a disc problem (often a compatibility issue between disc and drive). If the problem lies in corrupt files, not Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim disc is going to product better results.

This is where a reliable DVD+RW disc comes to play. If you can produce reliable recordings on a particular DVD+RW disc, recording your video onto that disc and testing it out beforehand can identify programming or file problems before wasting write-once discs.

4. attar

attar Senior member

If the project output was saved to the HDD, play those files and see if the video is OK.

5. VivalaVida

VivalaVida Member

Thank you both for being so helpful! I will try making a copy on a different disk and let you know what happens...

6. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

Also Try Burning at 1/2 the Rated Speed of the Media, and changing the target area of the Disc.

7. VivalaVida

VivalaVida Member

I tried using some Verbatim DVD+R disks. Now the DVD plays perfectly! Thank you guys again for your help.