DVD to MiniDV transfer

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by alienxg7, Jan 13, 2006.

1. alienxg7

alienxg7 Member

Hello!

I want to know how to capture video from a dvd onto a minidv digitally and without signal loss.

Using software has been very confusing and I was wondering if there was a way to connect my camcorder to my vhs/dvd player digitally instead of the usual analog outputs?

I notice there are few dvd players with digital outputs on the market and this makes sense because it could be used to illegally copy dvds which is not what I am interested in doing.

Are there companies that will do this for me (is it easier to just let them do it?), will it be expensive? I see companies advertise mostly video onto dvd while I want to almost do the opposite (dvd onto mini-dv video).

Thanks for any help people can give to me,

Patrick

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

No you cannot. Video on a DVD is MPEG-2 compressed and for tape it needs to be DV compressed, so at least you need something in between that does the conversion.

If you know how to do it it is very easy and it can be done with freeware only. Follow this tutorial to convert your DVD into a DV-AVI: http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/tutorials/dvdedit.php
    Next, use a program like WinDV to record it to your miniDV.