1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD to Normal CD-R

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by klownman, Oct 17, 2001.

1. klownman

klownman Member

just wanted to know if this is possible..... saw an ad pop up saying that a dvd can fit onto a regular 700 meg cd(By using the software they give you). Is there a compression software available that does this? Or is it just another creative way to scam money....?

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

DVD doesn't fit, but if you encode it to some other format -- obviously you lose quality -- like to DivX, you can fit a movie to one CD. But the quality really isn't the same as in DVD and DivX movies can't be played with stand-alone DVD players. Read through this forum and you should get a pretty good picture what options you have (DivX, VCD and SVCD) if you want to backup your DVD into regular CD and what are the pros and cons of each method.

3. JTzip618

JTzip618 Member

Hello, i'm in some despret need of help. I am attempting to put a dvd on to a regular cd-r here is my problem file size. I ripped the vob file onto my computer using some software i had downloaded, (it showed up as 5 vob files) next i used vob2avi (not sure of the name but somthing to that effect) and converted it to avi but the video was 2 gigs and the audio was 2 gigs too, because of the over sized files i dont see a way to put it on a cd. I also shrunk the resolution to try to shrink the file size but there is little difference, i would appreciate your help if you could email any ideas you have at JTzip618@aol.com

4. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

jtzip: You need to encode the video into DivX or VCD in order to fit it to CD. And as stated previously in this and many other threads, best quality is achieved when the movie is spread to two CDs (~1.4GBs), because one CD just can't provide enough video quality.

For further instructions for how to encode the video, read through this forum, you should find instructions for good DVD ripping -- one example is in our article that is pretty much no-brainer and tries to explain how to rip the DVD into VideoCD:

http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/dvd2vcd_with_smart_dvd2avi_tmpgenc.cfm