DVD writer

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by mle, Feb 7, 2005.

1. mle

mle Member

When I put a disc in my DVD burner it takes about 1 min for the drive tostart up. Why does it take so long for it to be recognized and how can I change that? I use Windows XP and have my burner on the 2nd IDE channel as Master. Any ideas from you more experienced users? Thank you

mle

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check if exclamation mark in device manager. is drive actually jumpered as master or does it just say master in bios. check drive properties in device manager that the dma is enabled

3. mle

mle Member

I checked indevice manager and there is no exclamation point by either dvd writers. Both are DMA enabled and the dvd at the end of the cable is master and the intermediate connection on the cable is the slave. They are both on the secondary IDE channel. The primary channel has both of my HD's. It still takes a long time for anything to happen when I put a disc in, whether to play it or copy it or whatever. Any other ideas or tips.

Thank you
    mle

4. ddp

try putting 1 hd & 1 burner on each cable as possible there is a conflict between both burners

5. mle

mle Member

ddp,
    Thank you for your help. This may sound dumb but how do you connect a HD and a dvd writer on the same cable? In my computer the 2 dvd witers are on the top of the column and the 2 HD's are down lower than that. Will the cables be able to reach? I would like to try that. Also, should the HD's remain as the masters and the dvd writers as slaves? Thanks!
    mle

6. ddp

ide1: hd-master, dvdburner-slave
    ide2: dvdburner-master, hd-slave
    try rearrange the 2 roms so closer to hds but still with air gap in between. rearrange the cables or get new longer ones