1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVDs with certain sectors corrupt - A burning software that can 'exclude' these sectors while writing?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by inlife, Oct 8, 2010.

1. inlife

inlife Member

Dear Friends,

I have hit across a peculiar problem - Just bought a full pack (50) of dual layer dvd [Verbatim - MKM 001 000 (00h)] in which a range of sectors are corrupt - exactly the same on all the 50 dvds! I can't return it too .................

Found this out using isobuster which has an option "Create a list of known erroneous sector addresses".

Except for this the dvds are working great. And I was wondering if:

"Is there some burning software which has an option where I can specify certain sectors to be skipped while writing??"

My writers are a liteon iHAS124 and an Optriac(Sony OEM) - verified this problem using both drives - so its not a drive issue.

Thank you for reading this. If you could help it would be a BIG help. :)................................

2. jessetc

jessetc Member

It could be an issue with the iso image that you're burning on to the CD, but it's most likely the software.

3. inlife

inlife Member

Hi Jesse, thank you for replying. I have subsequently researched this problem in detail.

There are physical errors on the dvd, and they obviously cannot be repaired. And a software cannot solve the problem because the way a dvd is written is - the writer just writes blindly - continuously.

The reason that a writer does this is because when a dvd is read, it is the exact same thing that happens, only the beginning and end of the file is known(this is the formalized standard for writing an iso/dvd/cd). There is no option to break up a chunk of data and put it in arbitrary positions of a disc. This technology is there on a hard disk and the OS implements it. But on an optical disc currently this option is just not there. And since optical discs are now slowly becoming obsolete, I don't think they will even be developing such a standard in the future.

Hope you too learned something. :).............

Thanks again.........

4. inlife

inlife Member

Minor factual error - there is currently a technology used by 'InCd', its part of Nero that has implemented a way to write things on to a dvd just like a hard disk and so it can locate physical errors and avoid that by writing chunks of data in arbitrary locations. But this is not a 'standard' so the dvd will only work with computers. Also what I want is a 1 time write dvd that I will be storing permanently and the data is never to be changed.

5. attar

attar Senior member

Were these the newer line of cheaper 'Life' series or standard DataLife Plus?