1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvi hdmi wont work? watch my vid! Help me

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by mjp_80, Dec 31, 2006.

1. mjp_80

mjp_80 Member

I dont get what im doing wrong or if my ps3 is broken. I have been messing with this all day and am going crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qX1gI9TPN8

42mf230a/37 Magnavox is the make of my tv. It has one dvi input. Im getting nothing at all with it. When I use the wires the ps3 came with it works but I want HD. I went into settings and picked hdmi didnt work so I picked the next one down and it didnt work. Nothing worked.

Does my adaptor look bad? when I plug it into the sat dish I get full HD picture but when it's in the sony nothing at all.

2. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Hmmm... sounds odd to me. So you're saying your TV supported HDTV (i.e. 720p, 1080i or 1080p) and you can't get any signals? I don't know about you, but I'm using HDMI to DVI and I can change/set anything from 720p and 1080i (both works flawlessly).

My SONY was lucky to have a DVI input, so that's the only cable I'm using (HDMI -> DVI) and yes the graphics (games or DVDs) are amazing.

On your PS3, when you got to "Display Settings" what do have you there (i.e. 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p)?

3. mjp_80

mjp_80 Member

Yes it's a HDTV. Its on 480i now via the wires the ps3 came with and I get a picture. I want to get a hd picture though and its not working. I jumped from 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p then unpluged the av wires and pluged in the dvi hdmi wire and i get nothing. No picture at all.

4. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Stupid question but are you changing the TV's input to the correct port? If that isn't the problem then the HDMI to DVI adapter has to be your issue since there are 2 DVI connector types DVI-D and DVI-I. Try getting a cable that has an HDMI on one end and correct the DVI on the other (an all in one cable not one with an adapter). And if that doesn't work hopefully the member alkohol can provide his equipment and part/model #'s to help you out.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  5. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

Watching your video, it looks like you don't change the setings on the PS3 for the HDMI output!

Go

-System Stings
    -Scroll Down to Display Settings
    -Follow the on Screen guid!

Good luck!

Domreis

6. SirRaven

SirRaven Member

Perhaps you've already looked into this, but it's a case that everyone with TV problems overlooks and starts flaming the ps3 as being defective.

The back of your ps3 box has a little message that roughly says that the PS3 WILL NOT send video and/or audio through an HDMI connection to any display w/o HDCP standard compatability. It is more likely than not, that your DVI HD monitor IS NOT compatible with HDCP because that's typically associated with being an HDMI compliance standard.

Perhaps your monitor does support HDCP but it is unlikely if it does not have an HDMI port. There are even some HDMI TVs that do not have HDCP compatibility (being cheaper or older models) so don't feel bad.

7. BAMitUp

BAMitUp Guest

I posted this on another thread
    tell me if ya used this method before
    but it seams like ya didn't

8. mjp_80

mjp_80 Member

I took it into bestbuy and they showed me how to do it on there hdmi tv. I was doing it right Changing the input and all. I didnt forget to put the tv on dvi within the 30 seconds.

On the bestbuy tv it works super nice.

I know what it is. It's number 1 the wire because its just a adaptor and not one wire with hdmi and dvi or its number 2 the tv I have is not hdcp. I think it's the wire.

I'm happy being I know my ps3 is not broke. I was really worried.

9. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

Well hopefuly you can get it to work!

10. calvinf1

calvinf1 Member

I'm having the same problem with the same TV and PS3 as well.. please update if there is progress. Thanks

11. mjp_80

mjp_80 Member

i dont know what there really is to do. bestbuy proved it works great. I will try to replace the wire I guess and if that dont work ill have to save money and buy a new tv. That's start saving once I get this ps3 paid off ;)

12. calvinf1

calvinf1 Member

I have the same problem as well. I tried the above steps and it didn't work. Maybe someone should try using a cable with hdmi on one end and dvi on the other without using the adapter? I have the same Magnavox TV as well.

13. SirRaven

SirRaven Member

so I just took the time to actually look up your TV. What did I find?

Supported DTV Resolutions: 480p (via Component sockets), 1080i (via Component sockets), 480i (via Component sockets), 720p (via Component sockets)

Why the hell are you guys wasting time trying to get the hdmi cable to work when you could just get Component cables for the SAME PICTURE QUALITY.

Your TV DOES NOT SUPPORT HDCP so hdmi IS NOT going to work! Get yourself some component cables and save yourselves some time.

14. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

Same Pictur Quility?
    HDMI is a hell of alot better picture than component and he didn't Know if his TV would work! Yes you are right you can get 1080P with component but it looks better with the HDMI cable! We were tying to figure that out if you would have read the whole forum you sartass! I don't see how that is a waste of time!

15. h8breed

h8breed Member

it will not work because his tv does not support hdcp!!! that is the copyright protection that is being forced on us when we upgrade to any hi def type of disc. if it does not detect hdcp complaincy then it shuts down the connection. hdmi picture quality is not better than component till you go over 65inchs.

16. SirRaven

SirRaven Member

I have been reading the whole thing and I already said at the beginning that it was because of HDCP. He didn't bother looking it up so I took the trouble of doing so. Low and behold I was right, no HDCP on that TV yet it has Component so he's whining about why the ps3 doesn't work when he has a valid option readily available for HD.

And yes Component does give the same picture quality as HDMI, the only difference is that HDMI supports up to 1080p and component does not. Show me a display running component and hdmi at the same resolution of a screen-size similar to his and I guarantee you won't be able to tell the difference.

BTW, rereading my last post I put every reference in plural. I meant to refer only to the OP and the 2nd guy that had HDMI problems w/ the same TV. Not everyone else trying to help him, domreis. The waste of time I was talking about was their struggling w/ HDMI when they had the ability to just hook up component.

p.s. thanks h8breed for knowing what you are talking about. Hopefully they start reading our responses.

17. error5

error5 Regular member

18. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

So, we both were wrong! It dose support HDCP, I'd try doing what error 5 said! It is never smart to jump to conclusions! BTW, sorry about the "Smartass" coment I am rely stressed out right now!

~Domreis

Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  19. SirRaven

SirRaven Member

If that's the case, then there's a valid argument of why it doesn't work. I looked up a few spec-sheets for that model and none stated HDCP compliance. I should have checked the actual manual.

Only advice offerable is do what everyone does w/ HDMI problems. Plug both AV and HDMI at the same time, hold the power button for 5 seconds til you hear a few beeps, then turn the system back on. Select HDMI and your proper resolutions. If that doesn't work...definitely get a hdmi->dvi cable.

I also noticed that the manual has "suggested scan rates" for your TV. If you had a setting to let you manually change your refresh rate to >60Hz, go back in and reset it to 60. I've read alot of LCD screens having problems w/ digital inputs when set to a refresh rate greater than 60Hz.

lol, no problem domreis, we all have bad days.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  20. h8breed

h8breed Member

i would replace your cable, the set up i would go with is hdmi cable to dvi adapter. it looks as if you have a dvi cable to a hdmi adapter. you might be losing the hdcp signal in the cable cross over? remember if any part of the chain cannot receive hdcp then the whole chain shuts down or in some cases changes to 480i