dvr

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by rtrg, Sep 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

Are there ANY dvrs of any make or model that allows an existing cable service to be used as the input, rf as the output, WITHOUT the need to get a $ subscription from any service? Like a vcr, a dvr should be fully functional with any available signal. Can I add a retail cable tuner to feed the dvr bypassing the built in tuner? Can a dvr record copy protected dvds when a player is used as the source? I found 2 dvrs of different brands and capabilities. NIETHER will operate at all useing my existing cable service despite the fact that there is an rf dedicated to cable as the source. TIVO told me that none of these dvrs will work this way. They all need the GUIDE that is only provided by subcription. What a rip off! I have used a cable tuner with a vcr with a PRESET type tuner. Other than losing the watc one record one capability the configureation works fine. Can this be applied to a dvr? If the answer is no I will leave it at the store where I saw it for $20. any suggestions welcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.