Electronic Engineering - What college? and other questions.

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by escalante, May 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. escalante

escalante Regular member

Hey guys. I wanted to ask a few questions about Electronic Engineering. What college in the US do you guys recommend? I live in Belize (Central America) so it has to accept international students. I plan to go all the way (I think I can). How long would it take to get all the way up to PhD? I'm going to take "Technical Science" (Physics, Electricity and Technical Drawing)here in high school. Any extra info or warnings etc. are welcomed!

Thanks,
    Escalante

2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

depends on what you can afford. the best two would be the California Institute of Technology and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. a phd in anything typically takes 8-10 years, though you can be through college in 6 if you've got the right prerequisites and study til your on the edge of death; other times, if you get your master's and enter the workforce full time, well it could take many years to get your phd. i work with guys still finishing theirs up who are in their early thirties.

lots of those guys are in no hurry, though, because once they graduate, they have to start paying off their loans. and post-doc work often sucks for the first few years.

this really belongs here:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/386925

i'll request this be closed.

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  3. escalante

escalante Regular member

Oh yeah. Forgot about that thread.

Basically, my dad said the only way I'm going is on at least a partial scholarship. He can pretty much afford anything but he doesn't wanna. Or maybe he believes that I should have to really study and work to get the scholarship. I have to actually study now...Damn! I got straight A's at the moment, but I fear that my days as an A student are gonna slip away if I don't study. Thanks for the info, Auslander!

Again, sorry about not posting on the other thread.

Escalante

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.