1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epson r200/300 quality ?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by jrochet, Oct 15, 2004.

1. akyllonen

akyllonen Regular member

I have a question on the software that comes with the printer. Is it easy to set the print area size (i.e. different sizes for regular and hub printable media)? The template on Nero doesn't seem to have a setting for the hub printables (which I prefer). Any input on this would be appreciated. Thinking about picking one up at Sams Club tomorrow.

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

@akyllonen
    The software w/ Epson includes Print CD - even easier than Nero. You can set and save the inner/outer diameter settings for hub and non hub printable discs. If you pick one up and need help with the settings let us know.

3. TMcCallie

TMcCallie Regular member

binkie07 you will love the printer.
    Tom

4. Newbious

Newbious Member

Got my new Epson R300 in today so I decided to set up my old scanner so I could scan some DVD's to print. My old scanner has about had it I think, I can't find the software CD for it and I'm not sure if I downloaded the right drives or not, I can't import an image from it with Paint Shop Pro.

Anyway I might as well get a new scanner and being the Epson printer is so well liked here I was looking at the Epson scanners.

Does anybody use the Epson Perfection 2480 Photo scanner?
    It has good reviews at Newegg but bad reviews at Amazon.

I used the search option and came up blank for the Epson 2480.
    That may be a bad sign being nobody has mentioned it here.

Thanks

Newbious

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

If you really want a good scanner look for these

Epson Perfection 1200S
    Umax Astra 6450
    HP ScanJet 5370Cse

Under $150
    Acer 1240UT

6. DarnIT

DarnIT Member

YAY DADDY! I've had the Epson r320 for about 2 weeks now and I'm printing like crazy. At first I was worried about smudging and buying what types of sealant to spray on it but you guys were right, as always! Prints like a PRO! It looks even more cooler than the originals and I even get to chose what I want on the label.

I use the "Epson Print CD" software that comes with the Printer and I just reset the hub number so it labels all the way to the center of the hole. In order to do that just open the *Epson Print CD software and on your left hand bottom where the tools are you should see 3 icons of dvd's - first dvd tool is a yellow dvd tool with four arrows (two green arrows and two red arrows) click on that one and set the inner diameter to 23mm and the outer diameter to 118mm. Save setting click ok and it prints perfectly to the hole of the dvd. Hope that helps cuz I learned how to do that by reading this entire forum.
    I've seen your labels on DaProggers, bbmayo, reallly nice stuff. Since my Epson printer rocks so much I guess I can return the Sharpie set I bought last week.

7. Newbious

Newbious Member

I ordered the Epson 2480 scanner after reading this. http://pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,119276,00.asp

The only difference between the top rated 2580 and the third ranked 2480 is the 2580 has an automatic film loader in the lid, the rest is the same scanner. For $79.00 delivered it's worth a try.

As for a clear spray to coat the inkjet printed DVD's there's a coating made for sealing waterslide decals that modelers use.
    It's available from MicroMark.com
    http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=82858
    It's made by Krylon but they used to sell their own house brand, probably rebranded Krylon. May be able to obtain it locally.

Being I had my new R300 setup and ready to print I wanted to see how it printed on a DVD but I only have the non-printable DVD's.
    I covered the top of a CD coaster with a portion of a printable stickon shipping label and trimmed it around the edge then printed it.
    The trimming I did wasn't very good but it was an old coaster CD so I didn't take much care when doing it. If I had a good X-acto knife it could be done much better than with the box knife I used, it wasn't all that sharp anyway.
    The end result wasn't too bad but the label paper doesn't have a gloss finish so it looks dull, a little clear spray might make it look better but as it is it looks like a printed piece of printer paper on top of the CD.

One thing I noticed when I printed it was the red portions came out as pink, not like the fire engine red of the image. That was the first thing I printed with the printer. The ink carts I used were the ones I got from the Abacus Private Store, I wanted to check those out first. Is it possible that my magenta cart wasn't primed or something and not being used? Or is that just typical of the replacement carts?

Newbiuos

8. GatlinGun

GatlinGun Regular member

Any opinion(s) on the TDK printable discs? CostCo has the 50 pack at $20.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
  9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

@Newbious,
    Just before you print your DVD's try increasing the strength. I put mine at +2 you will get much better quality and no pink where the red should be. :)

10. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Hello thre bbmayo,do u know whats going on I just find a nice site & they shut it down (DaProgger is shut down)

11. bassnut

bassnut Regular member

Well they are all gone ...... dvd-coverart.com .... customcdlabels.com and daprogger.

Hopefully something will change till then it is back to the scanner for now. Maybe bbmayo can help with a guide to making custom cd covers seing how he is lightyears ahead of us all. Man I hate graphix work ..... maybe it is because I am too picky for my own good. lol

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

13. bassnut

bassnut Regular member

Thanks BB .... that one is still up ...... I will have to check it out some.

14. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Bassnut
    I'm with you I hate graphics stuff - I also hate buying a DVD and the label is just silver with core writing (Ray - fullscreen for example). I usually try and bribe my daughter to do them.
    bbmayo - any guides on the horizon for custom label making?

15. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

All I can say is get Adobe Photo Shop and go to town!! Thats what I use, and I can't say I like doing it to much, but sometimes I had to so I could get good ones. Now it looks like I may doing more of my own. I should just start my own site I already have a shit load of covers anyway.. Naw thats to much work, and I wouldn't have time for AD then :-(

16. bassnut

bassnut Regular member

I already am familiar with some graphix work and Fireworks. I am more curios on how you set up you template to get started. Do you use templates or is it trial an error for you bb? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I have always found programming interesting and could and have sat here all night working out some bugs in some site or another ..... but never really got into the graphix side ..... building a site would not be hard but maintaining it would be ..... and I will assume that the site was shut down probably under allot of pressure ..... I don't think I would want to go there.

17. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I just make all mine 1000 X 1000 pixels in size and go from there. When you put a lable into any lable printing software just make sure you set it as the background and it will auto size it to fit for you :)

18. bassnut

bassnut Regular member

Thanks bb ..... I played around a little and should be able to come up with something from time to time ..... actually was not as hard as I thought ..... time will tell though. http://www.cdcovers.cc/ is still up and running too for those interested.

19. MikeJames

MikeJames Member

why did all those label and cover sites shut down?

20. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

they aren't saying, but I believe it has something to do with copyright's. DaProggers said his just got to be to much to run anymore, but I am not buying that.