1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Error Burning with External DVD-Writer and USB2 (SCSI command aborted)

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by xtremeNL, Aug 18, 2004.

1. LucyLew

LucyLew Member

hey guys,

i'm in IT kind of business,and according to me,the problem is at the IDE-USB stuff. Seems that the drive/enclosure "loses" the connection with the Motherboard for about a fraction of a second. and that's where the trouble begins. The computer cannot find the place where it left the burning session. did you guys check which chipset your PCs are using?? maybe that could be a clue to something intersting. just post your chipsets.

will find a way out.

2. LucyLew

LucyLew Member

need some more info to track down the problem:

when u receive the scsi error,or when your burner just blocks, have u ever checked the status of your DVD-R drive in my computer? coz mine always shows as a CD-Drive. That's because the DVD-R format is just like a CD-R,only with higher capacity. Maybe the drive then recognizes it as a CD-R and not a DVD-R (due to the small connection loss I told about earlier).

3. mattcupps

mattcupps Guest

I've had the "SCSI command aborted" error for about a year using Nero, a Pioneer 108, and this enclosure: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817145360
    It is a Prolific USB/IEEE1394 chipset. My computer is an IBM T41 Thinkpad.

I got the error primarily using the USB connection with DVD-R's, but could sporadically burn +R's over USB. The Firewire side of the connection seemed to burn without trouble, but the green light on the front of the burner indicated it was using the burnproof feature because the drive wasn't getting data quickly enough at 12x and 16x.

I just bought and tested only 2 -R's using the 108 in this new enclosure: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=PM-525US&cpc=SCH&srm=0
    I finally know what a real burn should feel like, it worked with error on 2 discs last night, a data -R with Nero and a video -R using DVDShrink both on the USB connection. I need to test by burning more discs, but the other enclosure never worked this smoothly using USB. The chipset on the new enclosure is Initio USB/IEEE1394. I haven't used the firewire side yet, as the USB is more convenient for me since I have to use a firewire cardbus adapter on my laptop.

The new enclosure seems to have solved the "SCSI command aborted" mystery for me, but more testing is needed to confirm.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2005
  4. lasttime

lasttime Member

Hi Lucylew,

The theory about the chipset does not explain why other programs are able to successfully burn DVDs to the same drive under the exact same conditions. To answer your question: my drive is seen properly by my computer and the programs trying to access it (whether or not they are able to burn to DVD).

5. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Lasttime,

Sorry for the late response, but I was on the road again and did not have access to the internet, or the time. :)

In essence, the drive is disconnecting or simply not responding to any commands being issued to it.

We tried to resolve this in our MMC.DLL by ignoring the first view times we received the 'SCSI command aborted' error and simply reissuing the command a number of times in the hopes it reconnects and begins accepting commands again. Not a clean solution, but one that did work for a few users.

But once a write process begins, there are only so many commands the Recorder will accept, and there is absolutely nothing we can do in the way of issuing commands to resolve a communication problem between the system and the Recorder. We can provide bus traces that show what's going on, and provide this to the Hardware MFGs, but that is about all we can do.

And as I mentioned before, if our Nero ASPI driver were at fault, then it would only occur with Nero and not other programs. Plus, deleting or removing the Nero ASPI will cause our program to default to the system ASPI.

Some have found our MMC.DLL file to resolve the issue; some have found providing extra power to the External Chassis to resolve the issue; others have found a different chipset in the BridgeBoard of the External drive to resolve the issue; some have found updating the USB Controller drivers to resolve the issue; some have found disabiling 'DVD High Compatibility mode' to resolve their issue; Some only have trouble with DVD-R media and and only occasional trouble with DVD+R media and some never work with either.

And the list of individual solutions go on.

We at Nero suspect this is a hardware issue, simply because all the symptoms seem to point to that, and because we have not found anything in our software that could cause this. And when you have three different Recording sofwtare Developers, all with different source code, having the same issues, it tends to be an issue not releated to software.

But we can not say with 100% surity that it's software, but we think we are 80% sure it is. :)

Regards,

Craig
    Nero Inc
    USA

6. ireland

ireland Active member

I have to chime in on this, I been using a (has its own power supply) a external hp -200 dvd burner 2.4x drive ever since 321-studios came out with DVD copy 1.0 in 10-02.using a adaptec usb 2.0 fireware card..and using nero and roxio 6
    Note it works on XP or 2000 with out a problem..

To day I am using win-2000 (my main system),XP and 98se on more then 5-computers and a liteon 1673 external on each. (it has it own power supply} and using a new adapetec usb/firewire Card, instead of taking the power off the mother board it has a plug for a 12 volt line direct off the power supply. (like the power plug that’s used on hd’s…….. mother’s I use are gigabyte Also each computer has a hp-420 8x burner internal installed.
    And a liteon 166s dvdrom..
    I am testing and using nero7 and nnd using roxio 6.and I am only using the aspi that the programs install. I can burn with 8x 12x speed without the buffer oscillating..using the 1673 external burners I use dvdclone2 with anydvd, DVDDecryptor,nero or roxio 6. and all dvdxcopy products and many more burning software...no problems…
    My burns are at a max as the disk speed indicates 2x,4x,8x or 12x..and using only plus disks.

When nero 7 come out I think it will solve some of your problems.also I would look into the Adaptec usb2/firewire Card..with the 12 volt plug .

NOTE WHAT WORKS FOR ME MIGHT NOT WORK FOR YOU.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2005
  7. LucyLew

LucyLew Member

Tried the same burner on another PC, with a VIA usb chipset. it works perfect with any type of DVD. tried it on still another PC with an Intel 82801DB usb driver: fails!!! some usb (on the MBs)are known to have problems switching between different power states (D1,D2,D3...). That's what I noticed on my side.

8. Bonzai543

Bonzai543 Member

I purchased an external enclosure a couple of months ago to burn DVDs on my laptop (WinBook J4 G732) using Memorex -R. Being a newbie, I had no idea these were not very good discs, because I had already burned 50+ of these DVDs internally in my desktop with no coasters. Naturally, it completely failed multiple times with, you guessed it, the "SCSI command aborted" error. Oh, well, I put it back in the desktop until I stumbled across this wonderful forum and thread. After reading about the success many had with the firewire port, I decided to try the firewire.

Note: During this 3-month lapse, I did a fresh install of Windows XP Media Center.

First thing I did to test the firewire was play a DVD I made on the desktop PC and the dang thing froze playing after about 5 minutes. I then decided to try the USB and it played fine. I did a test burn using Nero 7 with Fuji +RW and it worked fine. So I burned a couple of Fuji +R - no problem. I also burned one with DVD Decrypter with no problem. I'm going to try the Memorex -R again tonight to see if it was a media thing. I'm kind of curious if it is the fresh XP install, different media, or Nero 7.

9. ireland

ireland Active member

LucyLew

i for got to post this,i am using,intel(r)82801ba bus master ide controler,and the adaptec usb2/firewire card with the 12 volt line did make a big difference in the burn speed of the external usb 1673 burner...

10. jfarner

jfarner Member

I have followed this thread a year now and tried everything, but I can't get my external dvd-rw to burn with USB 2.0
    My temporary solution is to use a usb 1.0 hub between my ext burner and my laptop when I burn dvd-s. When reading cd-s or dvd-s I connect the burner normally to the usb 2.0 and it works fine.

If you don't burn dvd-s that much this is a solution that works ok.

Edvard

11. ypelchat

ypelchat Member

Hello guys;

I have been away from this forum for some time, because i don't burn coasters anymore, and never felt the need to take a look at this thread anymore. At the end of this post, i have copied my reply which i posted here in march 2005. Hopefully, this would help some of you.

Good luck.

POSTED IN MARCH 2005

"Ok guys, problem solved. :eek:)

Last week-end I did 3 things:

1: I have updated my motherboard's BIOS to the latest revision.

2: I've put my GSA-4163B in the Kingwin external enclosure.

3: Prior to burning the DVD'S, I've killed ( by doing CTRL-ALT-DEL....then end task. Do not uninstall your applications...! )all the unnecessary tasks running in Win XP that I could, with the task manager: Norton Anti-Virus, Quicktime, the HP printer manager, Creative's remote center etc. Killing applications requires some fine tuning, as the first time you do this, you will probably kill an application that's required, and this will force you to restart your machine, and do the same process again. The key is to write the name of the .EXE applications that you kill,and the watch if it causes instability, then you proceed to the next .EXE.

Honestly, I can't say exactly what i did, that fixed the problem, but all I know is that i've been burning -R, +R, Princo, Ricoh, Maxell, Imation, you name it. All week-end, without a single coaster.

I also tested my two supposedly dead GSA-4081B. Guess what? They both work too!

I then put one of my 4081B in an older machine ( Celeron 433Mhz )and i have been capable of burning DVD's at 4X with that machine too. I never thought I could burn DVD's with such a machine. "

12. bahbee

bahbee Member

I stumbled into this thread while researching something else, and somehow got sucked into reading all 27 pages. I've seen various 'fixes' which people have reported for this problem. Mr campbell has contributed some tidbits of information here and there, but has never stated that there is any kind of resolution to the problem. I thought you folks might be interested in what was reportedly the OFFICIAL RESPONSE from NERO, what I don't understand is why Craig never posted this info here. Ok, it might not resolve the issue in 100% of the cases, but perhaps it will resolve it in 60,70,80% or more? BTW, this was posted on another forum ALMOST A YEAR AGO.

13. Tyrone69

Tyrone69 Member

I have this problem on Windows XP SP1 and have already tried what is described in solution c a long time ago and this does not resolve the fault...... Still investigating as agree 100% the issue is with either the USB 2 controller/driver.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2005
  14. Numus

Numus Member

Well i think i have the solution.. It seems when burning dvds with an external burner it requires huge amounts of bus power from the usb eventhough it is external powered.. I disconnected my Ipod shuffle and my usb 1.1 hub from my computer which has about 4 things plugged in including my external mouse for my laptop.. after that i tried burning again a BAM!!! it burned.. i think it is reseting because not enough power can be given to the burner to make it keep on spinning when it is trying to start the burn... just my ideas though not sure if any of you tried it yet...

15. LucyLew

LucyLew Member

Got the same Intel 82801 controller, both for IDE and for the USB. And I can't get an update for these drivers!

16. vagonweb

vagonweb Member

The power can't be the issue. DVD-burning works fine under Linux, this is strictly a Windows driver issue. Someone has to tell the Microsoft programmers to get off thier @$$es.

17. ireland

ireland Active member

LucyLew

I FOUND THIS DRIVER THE OTHER DAY,AND MY SYSTEN IS USING IT NOW.
    ..it increasted my read speed about 15%
    The Intel Application Accelerator is designed to improve performance of the storage sub-system and overall system performance.

type: Driver IDE
    version: 2.3.0.2160

Intel IDE Driver (Intel Application Accelerator) for Windows 2000 and Windows XP
    Intel® Application Accelerator English: iaa23_enu.exe
    http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=663

Last edited: Oct 8, 2005
  18. goterps7

goterps7 Member

I just developed this problem. Previously Nero worked perfectly fine for me, but my hard drive crashed - I was even able to preserve key data by burning it to DVD-R with Nero the night it crashed. So the store that I took it to get it fixed gave me Windows XP Service Pack 2 without asking. Could that be the problem? Pre-crash, Nero worked great. Now I have produced 3 coasters today. I even tried the batch file to eliminate the RMADEC.EXE, no effect. The problem only occurs in actual burns - the simulations work fine. I have an external Plextor 716A. I also have an internal TEAC CD burner / DVD reader that no longer functions - I have to uninstall it before I can burn with the Plextor.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2005
  19. gzaloam

gzaloam Guest

I´ll apreciate if anyone can help me.

I recently bought a Zynet Enclosure (cd-r3-u2) and a LG 4167b dvd burner. The only issue i have is that if i try to burn a cd-r using the disc-at-once method, it fails in the "lead-in" step. I´d tried using several brands of media, and won´t work. Actually, i can burn cd-r's with track-at-once. I´m using nero 6.6.0.16. Here's the log.

Windows XP 5.1
    IA32
    WinAspi: -
    ahead WinASPI: File 'C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero\Wnaspi32.dll': Ver=2.0.1.74, size=164112 bytes, created 10/26/2004 18:35:34
    Nero Version: 6.6.0.16
    Internal Version: 6, 6, 0, 16b

Recorder: <HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B>Version: DL12 - HA 3 TA 1 - 6.6.0.16
    Adapter driver: <> HA 3
    Drive buffer : 2048kB
    Bus Type : default (0) -> ATAPI, detected: ?
    CD-ROM: <AXV CD/DVD-ROM >Version: 2.2a - HA 2 TA 0 - 6.6.0.16
    Adapter driver: <a347scsi> HA 2

=== Scsi-Device-Map ===
    DiskPeripheral : SAMSUNG MP0603H atapi Port 0 ID 0 DMA: On
    CdRomPeripheral : HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4241N atapi Port 1 ID 0 DMA: On
    CdRomPeripheral : AXV CD/DVD-ROM 2.2a a347scsi Port 2 ID 0 DMA: Off

=== CDRom-Device-Map ===
    HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4241N I: CDRom0
    AXV CD/DVD-ROM J: CDRom1
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B K: CDRom8
    =======================

AutoRun : 1
    Excluded drive IDs:
    WriteBufferSize: 83886080 (0) Byte
    ShowDrvBufStat : 0
    BUFE : 0
    Physical memory : 638MB (654320kB)
    Free physical memory: 258MB (264360kB)
    Memory in use : 59 %
    Uncached PFiles: 0x0
    Use Inquiry : 1
    Global Bus Type: default (0)
    Check supported media : Disabled (0)

CD Image
    15:54:46 #1 Text 0 File Burncd.cpp, Line 2948
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B
    Buffer underrun protection activated

15:54:46 #2 Text 0 File Reader.cpp, Line 127
    Reader running

15:54:46 #3 Text 0 File Writer.cpp, Line 122
    Writer HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B running

15:54:46 #4 Text 0 File Burncd.cpp, Line 3233
    Turn on Disc-At-Once, using CD-R/RW media

15:54:46 #5 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 270
    Last possible write address on media: 359848 ( 79:59.73)
    Last address to be written: 76985 ( 17:08.35)

15:54:46 #6 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 282
    Write in overburning mode: NO

15:54:46 #7 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 2483
    Recorder: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B;
    CDRW code: 00 97 22 60; OSJ entry from: Daxon Technology, Inc.
    ATIP Data:
    Special Info [hex] 1: 00 00 00, 2: 00 00 00 (LI 0:00.00), 3: 00 00 00 (LO 0:00.00)
    Additional Info [hex] 1: 00 00 00 (invalid), 2: 00 00 00 (invalid), 3: 00 00 00 (invalid)

15:54:46 #8 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 448
    >>> Protocol of DlgWaitCD activities: <<<
    =========================================

15:54:46 #9 Text 0 File ThreadedTransferInterface.cpp, Line 838
    Setup items (after recorder preparation)
    0: TRM_DATA_MODE1 (2 - CD-ROM Mode 1, Joliet)
    2 indices, index0 (150) not provided
    original disc pos #0 + 76986 (76986) = #76986/17:6.36
    relocatable, disc pos for caching/writing not required/not required, patch infos
    -> TRM_DATA_MODE1, 2048, config 0, wanted index0 0 blocks, length 76986 blocks [HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B]
    --------------------------------------------------------------

15:54:46 #10 Text 0 File ThreadedTransferInterface.cpp, Line 1051
    Prepare recorder [HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B] for write in CUE-sheet-DAO
    DAO infos:
    ==========
    MCN: ""
    TOCType: 0x00; Session Closed, disc fixated
    Tracks 1 to 1:
    1: TRM_DATA_MODE1, 2048/0x00, FilePos 0 307200 157974528, ISRC ""
    DAO layout:
    ===========
    __Start_|____Track_|_Idx_|_CtrlAdr_|_RecDep__________
    -150 | lead-in | 0 | 0x41 | 0x00
    -150 | 1 | 0 | 0x41 | 0x00
    0 | 1 | 1 | 0x41 | 0x00
    76986 | lead-out | 1 | 0x41 | 0x00

15:54:46 #11 Phase 24 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1832
    Caching of files started

15:54:46 #12 Text 0 File Burncd.cpp, Line 4120
    Cache writing successful.

15:54:46 #13 Phase 25 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1832
    Caching of files completed

15:54:47 #14 Phase 36 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1832
    Burn process started at 4x (600 KB/s)

15:54:47 #15 Text 0 File ThreadedTransferInterface.cpp, Line 2654
    Verifying disc position of item 0 (relocatable, no disc pos, patch infos, orig at #0): write at #0

15:54:47 #16 Text 0 File Mmc.cpp, Line 16924
    StartDAO : CD-Text - Off

15:54:47 #17 Text 0 File Mmc.cpp, Line 21708
    Set BUFE: Buffer underrun protection -> ON

15:54:47 #18 Text 0 File Mmc.cpp, Line 17211
    CueData, Len=32
    41 00 00 14 00 00 00 00
    41 01 00 10 00 00 00 00
    41 01 01 10 00 00 02 00
    41 aa 01 14 00 11 08 24

15:54:51 #19 SCSI -500 File Cdrdrv.cpp, Line 1434
    SCSI Exec, HA 3, TA 1, LUN 0, buffer 0x04B30000
    HA-Status 0x10 (0x0A, SCSI_HASTAT_REQUEST_SENSE_FAILED)
    TA-Status 0x00 (0x00, OK)
    Sense Key: 0x05 (KEY_ILLEGAL_REQUEST)
    Sense Code: 0x26
    Sense Qual: 0x02
    CDB Data: 0x2A 0x00 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF 0x6A 0x00 0x00 0x20 0x00 0x00 0x00
    Sense Data: 0xF0 0x00 0x05 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
    0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x26 0x02

15:54:51 #20 SCSI -1114 File Cdrdrv.cpp, Line 1434
    SCSI Exec, HA 3, TA 1, LUN 0, buffer 0x04000200
    HA-Status 0x00 (0x00, OK)
    TA-Status 0x02 (0x01, SCSI_TASTATUS_CHKCOND)
    Sense Key: 0x06 (KEY_UNIT_ATTENTION)
    Sense Code: 0x29
    Sense Qual: 0x00
    CDB Data: 0x2A 0x00 0xFF 0xFF 0xFF 0x6A 0x00 0x00 0x20 0x00 0x00 0x00
    Sense Data: 0x70 0x00 0x06 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x10
    0x00 0x00 0x00 0x90 0x29 0x00

15:54:51 #21 CDR -1114 File Writer.cpp, Line 311
    Reset occurred

15:54:51 #22 Text 0 File ThreadedTransfer.cpp, Line 228
    all writers idle, stopping conversion

15:54:52 #23 Text 0 File ThreadedTransfer.cpp, Line 222
    conversion idle, stopping reader

15:54:52 #24 Phase 38 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1832
    Burn process failed at 4x (600 KB/s)

Existing drivers:
    File 'Drivers\CDRALW2K.SYS': Ver=6.1.1.17 , size=24698 bytes, created 7/17/2003 00:19:56
    File 'Drivers\a347scsi.sys': Ver=3.47.0.0 built by: WinDDK, size=5248 bytes, created 4/30/2004 09:33:00 (Adapter driver for src)

Registry Keys:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon\AllocateCDROMs : 0 (Security Option)

I also tried using Roxio 6 and Alcohol 120%, but it doesn't work either.

20. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member