eurovox 8% signal quality problem (8 percent)

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by bardcom, Apr 14, 2008.

1. bardcom

bardcom Member

Hi, since upgrading to the new software, my Eurovox Max/V shows signal quality at 8% (8 percent), and it can't find any channels.

From the forums, I get the impression that this is a known problem. Is there anyone who knows about this, or if there's a fix?

2. auvers

auvers Member

yeah me too and what makes matters worse is I downgraded to an earlier firmware that used to work and I am still only getting 8% signal :(

3. bardcom

bardcom Member

I did too. Has the new firmware affected the hardware in an irreversible way? It's hard to find any other posts on this because Google can't search for the percent sign. Hopefully somebody out there will know something....

Another piece of advice I got was to downgrade to MAX_V_BETA_WS_SB_RAR and can be found in scouser shared virtual drive link - going to try that now - I'll let you know.

[Update] No difference - doesn't work

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  4. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

Have you tried loading a channel dump to the EV ?

5. bardcom

bardcom Member

No, I haven't. I downloaded a cdf called oggnogg_NTHELL_DUB__FREQ_210208.cdf - is this one? Although when I tried loading it to the box, nothing seemed to happen....

6. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

Where are you and what provider do you use ?

7. bardcom

bardcom Member

I'm in Dundrum and use NTHell

8. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

9. bardcom

bardcom Member

10. bardcom

bardcom Member

Didn't work. I used the MAX_V_KURO_BETA_WS_SB.rar firmware and loaded the channel data. I could see all the channels (nicely sorted), but the signal quality was at zero percent 0%. Which is a bit different than before when it was at 8%.

Oddly enough, when I restore to factory defaults and do a powerscan, it fluctuates the signal quality between 0% and 20% even when I don't have the cable input plugged in. It's as if the cable input is being ignored....

11. auvers

auvers Member

I also have this problem bardcom and I went through all those steps yesterday and still the same result as you, altough i did read on another forum today that a guy mantained that her flashed his box a few times with the MAX_V_KURO_BETA_WS and it came back to life. I am in work now but I was going to give it a shot then I get home.

12. bardcom

bardcom Member

I'm blue in the face trying that. I've reflashed 3 times with that firmware now, no difference....

I just spoke with a guy on the phone who's a local dealer. He says that the problem is a weak tuner component. It can't be repaired, as the component can't be replaced on the board - the whole board needs replacing. He says that it's expensive to repair (from €75 upwards) and the best bet is to bring it back to wherever you got it.

[Update]
    Just spoke with another guy on the phone who's also a local dealer. He says that he knows the problem and that it's a fuse that needs replacing. He can do it for €35.

13. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

I am aware of the 8% problem but in your case you had all channels before the upgrade ?

Do a clear data and channel data again , upload the new KURO 3 firmw@re and then load the channel dump and see if that works

14. auvers

auvers Member

15. bardcom

bardcom Member

16. bardcom

bardcom Member

Hi Celtic71, I cleared the channel data, then I uploaded the new Kuro 3 f/w. Then I loaded the channel dump. It seems to all go OK. The new firmware is definitely loaded because it has the new "FAST INSTALL" option.

Didn't work. No channels available.

I then reset to factory default (6.887) and scanned. Found nothing.

But you're right - it's pretty odd that it was working fine beforehand, and after the upgrade it stops working...

17. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

This might sound silly , are you sure you plugged the incoming cable in the RF Socket at the back of the EV

18. Madrichie

Madrichie Member

Hi Guys

I had exactly the same problem with one of the boxes I'd flashed(done 3), after flash, signal was around 8%.

The only firmware that would bring the unit back to life was;

UFL_Max_V_KURO_15_10_07

Tried all different one's, including the 16:9 one.

I downloaded the firmware from the following link, but it's no longer there, so give us a minute, n I upload it to rapidshare

http://www.freewebs.com/cableassist/eurovoxproducts.htm

UFL_Max_V_KURO_15_10_07

http://rapidshare.com/files/107463041/UFL_Max_V_KURO_15_10_07.rar.html

19. bardcom

bardcom Member

Celtic71, you got me thinking. I had been playing around with the box trying to get it to work and so I tried plugging it into the ANT connector to see what would happen. I know this is wrong and that it should be plugged into the RF-IN connector (top left on back of box). But the behaviour was exactly the same. Stuck on signal strength of 8%. And when I disconnected the cable and didn't plug it in at all, the behaviour was also the same. Still on 8%.

Finally got it working! It was the cable.

My cable was broken because of angling it around a corner. Moving it again when I was taking the box down to the computer to update the firmware must have been enough to change it from a "working" cable to a "not working" one. I've swapped my cable, and it's working perfectly.

So to the other people having the same problem - check your cable!

Thanks everyone.

20. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

Glad you got it sorted , had a funny idea it was down to the cable and not the b0x :)