External hard drive

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by stevepre1, Jan 21, 2006.

1. stevepre1

stevepre1 Member

Can I use an external hard drive, hooked in to my xbox to back up games? If I can what are the drawbacks? Is there any spacific hard drive that's better then the rest (to use with xbox). If I can't use the external does anyone know what is the best internal hdd to use? Or will any of them work? Is there suck a thing as to big? For me the bigger the better.

2. wag7079

wag7079 Guest

Frommy experiences any brands will work, most people prefer Seagate and Maxtor. And no there is no limit on how big of an internal hardrive you can use. i know plenty of people with 300gb hdd in there xboxs. Now for the external hdd, how are you going to hook it up. If you can hook it up i would try, cant hurt anything if the xbox will recognize it. hope i was some help. good luck!

3. stevepre1

stevepre1 Member

Ya you were lots of help. thanks. Now I just need to track down what the best no soldering mod chip would be and I'm ready to start.

4. wag7079

wag7079 Guest

I am running a Xenium ice 2.0 (solderless) one of the best. comes with external leds lights and USB ports (plug and play). Inm my opinion its the best. I think it was 53.95.

http://www.xbox-modchips.com/xenium.htm

that should take you straight there.

5. stevepre1

stevepre1 Member

Ya thanks. I was looking on a web site and saw a Xenium Gold S.P.
    Solderless ModChip. Do you know anything about this? Is it better? or more of the same?

6. wag7079

wag7079 Guest

the xenium gold S.P. or spice is the same thing. The S.P. is the version that works with a v1.6 xbox. the solderless adapter that bolts to the motherboard is different thats it. you still are getting the same mod chip, because it comes in two pieces. first you srcew the solderless apdapter in place on your motherboard and the the modchip will slide down on it.

7. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

NO QUESTIONS asked. The best chip on the market to date is the Xecuter 3 Mod Chip. Yes there are solderless adapters out there for it for all models of XBOX and you can format your hdd right there inside the box with a the chip. As simple as installing the chip, buying a hdd, taking it out of the packaging, loading it and formatting...then use your sources to install all your applications. I'd recommend Auto Installer Deluxe.

Yes, there are other good chips on the market, but the X3 is the best.
    You should be able to find the best prices for it, here: http://www.divineo.com/cgi-bin/div-us/index.html

[​IMG]

8. wag7079

wag7079 Guest

They are both great chips. the reason i liket the xenium ice 2.0 is because it come with a stand alone operating system you can acess by press the eject button during boot. from there you can format HDD, lock/unlock hdd, flash bios , ftp, configure network setings. but then again i have no experience with the executer, its up to you man just tryin to help.

9. bugoy

bugoy Member

Hi, with regards to the original post. Is it possible to hook up an external drive thru one of the controller ports perhaps? Ie. just adding a new drive. How can this be done?

Is it ok to play games from the external HDD?

Is it true that the controller ports are effectively USB connections?