External Hardrive space....

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by closrm, Apr 5, 2009.

1. closrm

closrm Member

I have a WD 120GB hardrive with approximately 60GB's free. I'm trying to transfer .iso files larger than 4GB and I'm getting an error saying " the file is too large for the destination file system ". I figured maybe if I format the drive it would fix the problem but I have to wait until I can afford another external. Can anyone help me out???

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

my guess is when you formatted your hard drive it is a FAT32 file system, which doesn't support files over 4 GB. reformat to NTFS file format and that should fix the problem.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

don't need to reformat from fat32 to ntfs as just need to convert fat32 to ntfs. done it a few times & i think you have to go thru disk management in administrative tools in control panel.

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yeah but ddp if you convert the file system doesn't that require you to format the drive after converting the file system? are you saying that you can take a hard drive in fat32 with data on it, and convert it to a ntfs file system without losing the data? I thought that was not possible...

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Any partition manipulation requires backup of data before hand,anyway to answer the question no it should be fine in NT/2000/xp,i've done it all was good however if going from ntfs to fat/fat32 then yes corruption will occur no escape from it,acronis have the most up to date partition manager,i use pm8.0 it's ok most of the time..lol..

6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You can take a FAT32 hard drive, and convert it to NTFS, without losing any data and without formatting the hard drive.

However, once converted to NTFS, you can't go back to FAT32, without formatting the hard drive.

7. ddp

djscoop, as per what scorpNZ & GrandpaBW said.

8. closrm

closrm Member

ok i tried to change it from FAT32 to NTFS but it wouldnt let me without erasing all the data. so instead, i put all of it on an empty ipod, and reformatted the hardrive. but NOW my problem is my windows laptop will not read the hardrive. i formatted it with a macbook so i'm assuming thats the problem. should reformat the hardrive again but do it with windows this time??

9. ddp

yes on the reformat as i think macs do it differently. i've had no problem converting fat32 to ntfs with data on it.