External or Internal? + or - drive ? TDK DVD Drives?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Fordlife, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Fordlife

Fordlife Member

Alright, there are 2 DVD burners at costco right now. They are both TDk and both are dual format. I still do not know if dual format is worth it or not--its about another $60---All I want to do is clear some hardrive space and backup the families DVD moves to play on my Xbox when I go away to school. Not concerned about Xbox gmae backups, no intentions of a modchip.

Will the xbox play both DVD+/-r or DVD+/-rw?

External Dual Format TDK for $299 + tax and shipping= $335 to my door.

Internal Dual Format TDK is $235+ tax and shipping= $258 to my door. I do not like the idea of a internal so I would probably buy an external IDE firewire casse whihc would run me another $50 making the internal close to $300.

Staples also has a single format DVD+R/rw by TDk for $249 - $50 mail in rebate and a $30 coupon bringing it down to $188 to my door. I would then add $50 for the Firewire case making it $238.

Whats the best Deal?

Thanks
    RC

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I use a single format Pioneer DVD-RW DVR a04 and have done for a long time but...

If I had the choice (and perhaps the $'s) I'd go for the external burner w/ firewire : )
    I havent got an X-Box but all DVD-R (movies) burnt on Ritek G03 discs play in my PS2 v.7 w/out modchip

about does it play DVD-R (+R) etc ...look here : http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDname=x-box&Search=Search

hope i've helped

peace

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

DVD-R works fine on the Xbox, also DVD-R tends to have better compatibility with DVD Players. I would agree with Herbsman and forget about dual format and go for the Pioneer DVR105/A05 if you want 4x copying