1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extracting music from A PS2 game

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Ofnir1, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Ofnir1

Ofnir1 Regular member

Update: I just found out that Shinobi has the ADX icon, but has no .afs files, so it's not 100% that the game's music can be extracted even if it has the ADX icon.

Here's the shorter version of how to do this. Thanks to Smaxj for mentioning this all in one program.

Go here to see which games can be extracted so far:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/287086

Of course, you need to be sure your game has music in the .adx format. There are a couple of ways to find out, but before I show you, you need to have:

adxutil.exe:
    http://rapidshare.de/files/8026974/adxutil.exe.html

GoldWave (optional):
    http://www.goldwave.com
    This program is used for creating fade-ins and fade-outs for songs, as well as much more. Of course, there are other audio editing apps out there, so choose one you like.

And here's how to find out if you might be able to extract the music:

1.) When the game is loading, look for a picture that says ADX.

2.) With the game in your disc drive, open adxutil and go to File>Open archive, and go to the root directory of your game. From there, search everywhere for anything with the extension of .afs (if any files show up, it will be an .afs file). If you see any, use this as your starting point, so after you see an .afs file, either double-click it or select it and click Open.

Before we begin, there are a couple of things to know:

With the few games I've gotten to do this with, there were more than one .afs file and each one had .adx and non .adx files, this is to be expected though. And there were also some .adx files that sounded similar, if not the same, too.

You can have up to three outputs: ADX, WAV, and MP3. Go to File>Settings... and choose one of the 3 available. Be sure to select your bitrate if you chose MP3 (I chose the standard, 128 kbps).

And be sure to create a new folder on your Desktop, so you can easily select it, as there is no option to do so on the final step.

[bold]Oi![/bold]

---------------------------------------------------------------------

With an .afs archive opened, you'll see above the first file: ID, Type, Frequency, and so on. You can easily search for a music file by maximizing the window, and only looking for anything that's not N/A under the Frequency and Channels tabs.

Once you've found one, you can double-click it to hear it. The controls for Play and Stop and are in the toolbar at the top all the way to the right if you want to use those.

If there are more than one file you want, click once on the first file, hold the Control key [Ctrl], and click once on the rest of the files.

After you've decided on which ones you want, you can either go to Commands>Extract to to the folder..., hold Control and push E, or right-click on any selected file>Extract to the folder... Now select the folder you created earlier and click OK.

And you're done!

[bold]O P T I O N A L[/bold]

Now this part is, of course, optional. If you want to create fade-outs with GoldWave, read on. If not, then open up your favorite Audio burning app you've got and burn away!

(Note that the steps here are similar to that of other Audio editing apps)

[bold]Use GoldWave to create a fade-out for a selected song[/bold]
    1. Open GoldWave and go to File>Open and look for your newly converted song.
    2. After its done loading, be sure to select the portion you want to hear when sampling a fade out ,if you don't, then you'll have to wait for the whole song to get to the ending to hear the fade out. In GoldWave, where the field of sound is, go all the way to the starting of the song and you should see a different icon to that of a the standard arrow. Click and hold, now drag to the right to where you have just about 15 seconds left (you can see where you're at in the song by looking up at the toolbar where the green numbers are).
    3. Go to Effect>Volume>Fade Out...
    4. Now, to me, short songs (like up to 2 minutes max), sound good with a Linear fade curve with the Preset at default. Longer songs, to me, sound better with a Logarithmic fade curve at the default preset, but you have the liberty of changing it to whatever sounds best for you. So select a few options and sample with the play button until you find what you like and click OK.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I hope this helps! Post questions or feedback here, whichever.

I'm also going to start a new thread with a list of games that can have the music extracted. Feel free to add your own findings, I'll update the list as new ones are posted. And I'll be writing a guide sometime in the future on how to replace the music on these games, but it will be awhile.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the longer version if you want the experience XD

What you need:

AFSExplorer:
    http://dte-ng.issextreme.net/scripts/downloads.php?id=1

Konvertor:
    http://www.logipole.com/indexe.html
    (I'm using an older version 3.30, but the new one should work, and I will test out the new one when I can)

GoldWave (optional):
    http://www.goldwave.com
    This program is used for creating a fade-out for songs. Use this or any other program that can create a fade-out if you want.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[bold]Use AFSExplorer to explore the contents for files ending in .afs[/bold]
    1. Open AFSExplorer and go to File>Import AFS file... and look for any files ending in .afs. Once you find one, select and open.
    2. The contents to the right should be in red colored text. If there are any files ending in .adx, it should be playable by right-clicking the file>Open file with...> Sound Player and it should automatically play. The game I'm using as an example, Street Fighter Anniversary Collection, had an .afs file that was not in a folder but did not contain anything ending in the .adx. There were files ending in .bin and so on, but feel free to test anything out with Sound Player and what not. There was also a file named ____blank____.adx and, as it implies, was blank lol.
    3. After you find the songs you want, you can either select the files by selecting one file, holding Control, and clicking on the other files if you don't want every one. If not some and you want all of the songs, do what I mentioned earlier under ISObuster.
    4. Now right-click the first file>Export and browse for your destination folder (it helps to make one folder for .adx files and one for .mp3 or .wav or .ogg files, whichever one you want to convert to). And after thats done extracting...

[bold]Use Konvertor to convert the .adx files to a known format, such as .wma or .mp3[/bold]
    1. Open Konvertor and see that eye in the toolbar? Lok under that to see Import, All known Image formats, and tabs labeled Image, Video and so on. Click on Audio. Now under Imort should, by default, say All known Audio formats. If not, select if from the drop-down list.
    2. Look under the tabs to the Windows Explorer-like part, and browse for your folder containing the .adx files, and you should now see all of them to the right. Now look to the right of Import to see Export, and under that will be the default destination for all converted files (or if you want a different default destination, click Misc>Settings and you should see many labaled tabs, go to Output Paths and under Audio is what you're looking for).
    3. Click the ... icon to browse for a destination. And select from the drop-down list under the path, the format you want your converted files to be. I picked MP3 - Audio MPEG layer III, so the bitrate and sound sample will apply to that.
    4. Now click the first .adx file and hold Shift (if theres more than one) and click the last .adx file, or right-click and click Select all. Now to the right of the drop-down list to select a format, is an icon, click it. You'll get a pop-up box to select the sample rate, bitrate, and so one. Since I selected MP3, I selected the standard for MP3, which is a sample rate of 44100 Hz and a bitrate of 128 Kb/s, and stereo. The rest is optional, and after you're done with that part, click OK.
    5. Now right click anywhere in the field where all the .adx files are, and select Add to list. Eveything is ready to convert, so...
    6. Click the big K to the upper right (you can't miss it) to start the conversion! And after thats done, the optional part comes in.

[bold]O P T I O N A L[/bold]

Now this part is, of course, optional. If you want to create fade-outs with GoldWave, read on. If not, then open up your favorite Audio burning app you've got and burn away I say!

(Note that the steps here are similar to that of other Audio editing apps)

[bold]Use GoldWave to create a fade-out for a selected song[/bold]
    1. Open GoldWave and go to File>Open and look for your newly converted song.
    2. After its done loading, be sure to select the portion you want to hear when sampling a fade out ,if you don't, then you'll have to wait for the whole song to get to the ending to hear the fade out. In GoldWave, where the field of sound is, go all the way to the starting of the song and you should see a different icon to that of a the standard arrow. Click and hold, now drag to the right to where you have just about 15 seconds left (you can see where you're at in the song by looking up at the toolbar where the green numbers are).
    3. Go to Effect>Volume>Fade Out...
    4. Now, to me, short songs (like up to 2 minutes max), sound good with a Linear fade curve with the Preset at default. Longer songs, to me, sound better with a Logarithmic fade curve at the default preset, but you have the liberty of changing it to whatever sounds best for you. So select a few options and sample with the play button until you find what you like and click OK.

Now you're done! Unless you want to do that with more songs. Theres a bunch more stuff you can do with your audio, but I'm only covering the fade-out effect. Google is your key to finding countless tutorials of how to use effects and the like (Google is also Wal-Mart's arch nemesis hehe).

Well I hope this helps! Post questions or feedback here, whichever.

I'm also going to start a new thread with a list of games that can have the music extracted. Feel free to add your own findings, I'll update the list as new ones are posted. And I'll be writing a guide sometime in the future on how to replace the music on these games, but it will be awhile.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  2. Ofnir1

Ofnir1 Regular member

I'm changing the thread title, and I need to add one more thing. When browsing for an .afs file, you can do so without using ISObuster. Of course, it wouldn't be as fast compared to HDD speed, but whatever you want to do.

3. Ofnir1

Ofnir1 Regular member

I'm changing the thread title, and I need to add one more thing. When browsing for an .afs file, you can dd so from the disc itself instead of using DVD Decrypter and ISObuster first. Of course, it wouldn't be as fast compared to HDD speed, but whatever you want to do.

Sorry for the double post, I thought I stopped it in time.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2005
  4. Stefan001

Stefan001 Regular member

wow thats very cool! I thoght it was imposible.

5. Ofnir1

Ofnir1 Regular member

Yeah same here lol. So far, this is the 2nd way of getting music from a game. I still don't mind live recording, I like using GoldWave :p.

6. Ofnir1

Ofnir1 Regular member

There is an easier way to do this, with one program. I will post back with a link to it.

[edit]

New guide is at the top.

Edited thread title.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  7. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

what about a rez file?, my game i want music from has a .rex file named audio.rez in the resource folder.

8. Ofnir1

Ofnir1 Regular member

I was able to find a program that extracts .rez files and a buttload more!

The program is called Game Extractor:
    http://www.watto.org/extract/games.html
    That link has the list of compatible games, and the download link is to the left.

From what it looks like, it's more than just selecting a file and clicking extract, but it's just a bit more. Looks like I have another guide to write lol.

Here's another link for a .rez unpacker:
    http://wiki.xentax.com/index.php/Dragon_Unpacker

Last edited: Jan 21, 2006
  9. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

thanks, ill see if it works

10. PsychoRvS

PsychoRvS Member

Konvertor doesnt work on the 50 cent copy I have, are there any other good adx to mp3 programs? by the way i get a error inclduing a lot of numbers and then it will shut down konvertor

11. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

completely failed me. either program didnt recognize the file at all..

12. pallytuna

pallytuna Member

I used Konvertor for the 50 Cent Adx's and it worked fine, though I converted to/from wav and not mp3.

Game Extractor is something I grabbed a few weeks ago. The version downloadable can not manipulate any files at all though. The purchased version seems to support relatively few PS2 games and some that it does do not have the ability to remove/amend/reinsert files, only read.

Another program similar to Game Extractor is this:
    http://multiex.xentax.com/
    Same idea and the author of Game Extractor is tied to this site too. Interestingly enough, according to the website, the full version of the program is to be available free soon...

13. Ofnir1

Ofnir1 Regular member

Have you tried adxutil.exe? That one should work.

14. PsychoRvS

PsychoRvS Member

I found a way using Dremcast programs (which ADX is originally assigned to) but the music came out very poor quality, Konvertor shuts down on me the moment i press convert selected files, anyone else got a good prog?

15. Ofnir1

Ofnir1 Regular member

Can you tell me a bit more? Like the file extension of the song before you used Konvertor? Which DC program did you use? The only thing I can think of as to why it wasn't good quality, is maybe because the DC app is old and couldn't handle the newer file well.

16. sleekmeek

sleekmeek Member

hello,
    do you know how to convert say .wav or .mp3 files to .adx and then put them back into the game (ie to change the in game music) if so is there any chance you could write a tutorial or post a link if there is already a tutorial out there, as i havnt been able to find one!
    thanks
    mike

17. Ofnir1

Ofnir1 Regular member

Like I said, it will be a while lol. There is a guide on the net already, and I'm not sure who the actual author is since it's all over, so credit goes to he/she.

Here's the link:
    http://owenrocky.50megs.com/wwehctp.html

The reason I'm going to write my own is because that one seems too wordy. And it's for Smackdown: Here Comes The Pain, but the same should apply. It will not work for every game though, so good luck!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2006
  18. 2IIPack

2IIPack Guest

Does anyone have or now of a guide with step by step pictures to do this?

19. 2IIPack

2IIPack Guest

Still haven't found a picture guide yet?

20. Ofnir1

Ofnir1 Regular member

I'll be writting my own guide for it some time later. I'll put in pictures if I have to.