1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fat PS2 with hard drive

Discussion in 'PS2 - Hardware boot discussion' started by technoob, Jul 10, 2020.

1. technoob

technoob Newbie

I have SCPH39004 FAT PS2, which I would like to use with an external hard drive to make the laser lens live longer. There are so many tutorials on the net (due to the differences between each console version), I'm really confused about what to do. The console is un-touched, original, non-modded and I would prefer to use a softmod or something like that runs without messing with the hardware or opening the console (as the lady seems pretty complex). I know the games run slower (I've already had a slim PS2, hard modded, with external hard drive), but it's not a big problem... I just don't want to touch this new PS2 internally.

Any suggestion ?

extra questions:

I know about FMCB memory card, is it convenient to buy one on eshops (like ebay or amazon, just a few examples)? Does it work like I just need to boot the console with it and then it does all the rest ? Is there a way to boot the HD loader (of any sort) through a CD or DVD ?

Can the hard drive be internal ? or should it be external/plugged with the USB ?

Thank you in advance for any response.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

You don't need to buy mem cards all you need are your own.
    You don't need to open the ps2 to solder anything however it would pay to open it to clean dust out. There are vids on you tube to follow. It's not hard to do
    You can mod it yourself easily

Yes internal is better & it can be done

Requirements for internal HDD are as follows:
    PS2 Network adapter
    1 x Hard drive either IDE or SATA
    If sata HDD you will need the converter IDE to SATA
    USB thumb drive
    MEM cards

Here is the website for the PS2 IDE to SATA adapter. You have option of the complete unit & all you'll need is a SATA HDD or just the board to modify your own network adapter
    http://www.maxdiypower.com/#

If your wondering if the website is trust worthy ,i am one of the many from the old website of theisozone (re made from it's ashes & is now called retrozone) if you want to confirm
    https://retrozone.co/forums/forum.php

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPj1he37PRDbmwccEtB9eCA
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9COMxXKm05BQWNv-IpyPg

PS2 Forum i saved from theisozone before it shutdown. It has tuts if you need them. There should be softmod tuts in the PS2 forum here at AD. If you can't find them scroll down to the archives on the main forum page
    https://mega.nz/folder/PNNg0Y6Z#EOL3MRNBt8Hs3BSn8jHLWg

Will supply link to the mod you need fmcb etc later

Edit: There are pre-made adapters on ebay or amazon however i never brought from there

3. technoob

technoob Newbie

thanks, but what about external hard drives ? adapters cost a lot.it would be just simpler with an external hd
    a fmcb mem card costs around 5€ .. an adapter is around 20€.

isn't there a way to load an external usb-plugged hard drive ? would fmcb mem card do the job ?

I just need to know if, once bought, the fmcb memcard has a software like usbloader that loads the HD, so I can just use an external hd and voilà

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

I'm unsure how to do external hdd on ps2 phat.
    However i assume it would need formatting either to fat32 or use the PS2 homebrew format software on the external hdd

Once done you should be able to see the hdd i assume with file manager or opl or fmcboot

You can make the fmcb card yourself the tut to do so is in the vid
    what you need
    thumb dive
    ps2 mem card

This will most likely be what you need to get hdd to work. ULaunch Elf is used to set up what boots. By rights you should be able to boot the usb drive once you have the software loaded on to it i.e opl

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO5DmaXKZ0c

5. technoob

technoob Newbie

ok, then, I'll wait for somebody who already has a fmcb mem card and a fat ps2 to know if it's just fmcb is needed to boot up an external hd, thanks anyway :)
    because I would just need a fmcb and I'm done, without having to buy other expensive devices. it's just that I don't know if fmcb alone does it.
    so, in case my question isn't clear or something: does a free mcboot memory card (something like the cheap ones you find on amazon or ebay from chinese sellers, whose cost is around 5-15€) have the software to recognize and load contents (I know the procedure already, it must be fat32, and I got all the softwares to do that) from an external usb hard drive (no internal devices, no adapters, no modchips, etc.) ?

about youtube tutorial videos, unfortunely my connection can't allow them. also the dude makes it easy, but I wonder if there's an even easier way like the one I'm asking about. I just wanna be sure if fmcb alone can be enough before I proceed purchasing it. that's all. looks more like instead of simplifying things, he's making it look like they're simple, but according to his video you would need another device. It's no problem for me to spend 5€, but more problems spending 40€ or more and also following 21 minutes videos, honestly. I'm looking for the easiest way around.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

What hardware do you actually have. What i mean is do you have any of these & if so list them
    ps2 mem card
    usb thumb drive
    phat ps2
    an external hard drive in a housing up to 500gb

Making a fmcb mem card is easy to do hence why you need the thumb drive. You don't need an hdd to do it. Making one will allow you to understand how it works & how to use ULaunch Elf

I'll get you to the point of making your own fmcb mem card you won't need to buy it as you'll kick yourself when you find how easy it is to do. I need to know what hardware you have

7. technoob

technoob Newbie

just a ps2 and a mem card, unfortunely no pen/thumb drive (but I got an external HD available though) . the console is un-modded (it doesn't read unoriginal burned DVD/CD), no adapter.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  8. technoob

technoob Newbie

sorry for bumping, does anyone has a ps2 fat with fmcb ? is it possible to load an external hd with just fmcb plugged to it ?

9. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Give me a couple of days i'll let you know.
    I have modded ps2's i use internal hdd's with mcb noob package installed, however i do have mcb on mem cards as well.
    It's why you need a thumb drive. Without it you can't transfer/install mcb to the mem card & if i'm not mistaken the external hdd will need formatting to a compatible format the ps2 reads.
    If your lucky it may be possible to install noob package directly to the external & have that be the primary boot device.In other words mcb on the external hdd boots & you won't need an mcb mem card or you can make a mcb mem card from the hdd. Can then install opl on the hdd (is the game list software. look it up on youtube you'll get the idea what OPL is & does)

10. technoob

technoob Newbie

yeah basically that would be cool to know the priority of boot for a fat ps2
    I already have the fmcb contents in a zip file, if I find the pendrive (lost in my house somewhere) I can put them there if the ps2 reads them first (before the mc)... or even better if they can be put directly on the external hard drive. But I guess that's just not possible, otherwise all the tuts online would be kinda useless.

11. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Follow this video tut to format hdd & install games from pc directly to hdd

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwO34PaG-9Y

Then follow this to get opl pointed to your usb drive.Pay particular attention to his settings. Not sure if setting hdd's to manual instead of auto is required . However i set mine to manual regardless as i use an internal which i removed to test out an external for you 160GB SATA in a 3.5" housing. Would assume a 500 will work also. To get a 1tb to work you should be ok as my internal is one. However it is formatted to a winhiip compatible partition & i'm not sure fmcb can see it on usb , as the usb is formatted to ntfs & opl either didn't see it even tho i selected it in opl , or i have too many games as opl just seemed to be scanning. Yet my 1tb drive light wasn't flashing as tho it was being read. OPL knew it was there. For compatibility i use western digital blue 1tb 2.5" * test of 160gb was a wd 1600AAJS. Chances are any hdd will work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUvcttGGrzA

One last thing always put fmcb mem card in slot two. As fmcb takes up a fair bit of space & making games saves there can corrupt it. Don't forget to back up fmcb to pc if not done so already. Not sure a 2tb can work as a usb however it requires different steps to get a 2tb working internally which i am not versed on

EDIT: Yeah the internal is formatted differently as the games are transferred as iso. Where the usb games are extracted format of some sort

EDIT 2: The pen drive is seen by the ps2 in browser if i recall. You then copy fmcb or was it start ULaunch ELF to make the fmcb card. Can't remember however once you have a pen drive all you need is a ps2 mem card to make fmcb work. I see no reason once you have the card in the ps2 & you have an external that you can't install fmcb directly to the hdd & have that as your primary boot. Doing away with the fmcb mem card altogether. You can test that theory or search youtube. If it can be done & your able to install noob package it will allow you to make mem cards direct from the hdd. Just a thought to play around with

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  12. technoob

technoob Newbie

dude that was just a simple question: where does the ps2 boot first ?
    if it boots from the usb HD, all I need is to move fmcb's contents on the usb HD
    if it boots from the mem card, then I directly need fmcb

13. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

FMCB card when in slot will boot first. So make fmcb
    Do the mem card fmcb then play around & it'll all make sense lol

14. technoob

technoob Newbie

k, then I guess all I need is a fmcb.
    now that we know this is for sure, does fmcb has the software to load usb hd ?

15. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member