Fatware vs Linux

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by oracle, Jun 28, 2005.

1. oracle

oracle Member

Som time ago I tried to find an alternative to MS's operating system, since I don't like to pay over and over again for the new versions of apps and progs. Trying to return to my roots I checked for a suitable version of linux for my old notebook (a 5033 Mitac) to refresh my knoeledge before I totaly skip to Linux.
    Alas! I found that out there you cannot download a 64MB RAM version of an edition (knoppix, gnoppix, gentoo, debian, suse, etc).
    I know that some of you will suggest live CD's of theese editions. BUt as I found even those editions have the same disavantage. They are'nt capable to fit on 64 MB RAM workstations. Also I want to have the complete domination of my workstation.
    On the other hand we complain about MS's fatware and spend day by day our money to by more CPU RAM, bigger disc capacities, fatster peripherals, etc.
    Are we leading the water to MS's watermylle? Do we want always to be victims and continue to complain for the world domination of a firm?
    Europe is commiting suicide by voting laws for the rights of development and is tied to the charriot of US firms like Hector's body to Achille's charriot!
    Finally I would appreciate if anybody can suggest me a "lite" version of a linux edition.

2. Xian

Xian Regular member

Have you looked at BeatrIX? It's a small footprint linux that will run on 64 megs even as a live cd with Gnome, Firefox, Evolution, and more.

http://www.watsky.net/

Last edited: Jun 29, 2005
  3. oracle

oracle Member

Thank you all!
    I'll give a try to all of your suggestions.