1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Faulty drive errors with rawdump 2.0

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by j2huggar, Mar 22, 2007.

1. geve123

geve123 Member

I have the same problems with a 8162B. I tried it on different PC's already but always same error "you might have a faulty drive".
    Does anybody know if the LED of the DVD rom should stay on after inserting the Wii disk? And if the disk should be visual in windows?
    In my case the DVD rom starts spinning when inserting Wii disk but stops after some time and LED goes off.

2. fremo

fremo Member

If I play with the drive like insert disk quick open it then it will say wii disk detected then close then open it then close all really fast it will work sometimes???? It almost seems like raw dump and the drive are not working together at all have yet to create a sucessful back-up yet going to try fri dump

3. dailun

dailun Active member

My procedure for Rawdump success:

1. Run in safe mode

2. Do not insert the disc until AFTER you start Rawdump.
    Wii discs are unreadable by Windows and the drive will sit there and try to read it until it times out and quits. Depending on your configuration this can be several minutes.

Disclaimer:
    This may not work for you, but should give you a reasonably good chance at success. After switching to this procedure I am 100% in making Single Layer backups (I use Friidump for SSBB)

4. fremo

fremo Member

OMG!!!! Someone please help no matter what I do I get either a error that says you might have a faulty drive or after opening and closing the drive and messing around it will start reading and dumping but it dose not reconized the name of the game only once did I get lucky and i read the name of the game and the backup works. Help someone please thanks in advance

5. erickoell

erickoell Member

Hey I've been using RawDump to backup my games for about a year now and everything has been working great until just recently. Whenever I put in any game (I've even deleted the Wii Sports off my computer to retry it) and click "Start Dump", it correctly finds the DVD name but then a box immediately pops up saying

"Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

An attempt was made to move the file pointer before the beginning of the file.
    ."

Then at the very bottom is says what the problem is (I think....I don't know much about how to fix computers or anything) and it says

"JIT Debugging

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this application or computer (machine.config) must have the jitDebugging calue set in the system.windows.forms.section. The application must also be compiled with debugging enabled. When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer rather than be handles by this dialog box."

Can anyone explain to me how to fix this? I'm not even sure how I caused it because I don't go to the advanced features in programs and mess with it.

Thanks Very Much!

6. elfy528

elfy528 Guest

I was excited that i got my 8164B DVD DRIVE.. but then again like rest of you I was having problems too.. sometimes it would say "faulty drive" other times i get this message..

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.OverflowException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.
    at i.a(Int64 A_0, String A_1)
    at i.e()
    at i.c(Object A_0, EventArgs A_1)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
    CodeBase: file:///c:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    rawdump
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/Desktop/Rawdump2.0(2)/Rawdump2.0/rawdump.exe
    Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
    System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

is there a solution to this? anyone please help!!! i know someone mentioned that some games work fine and others say faulty drive. i think its because of some sort of lock on the game or encryption.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2008
  7. neil0neil

neil0neil Member

i had similar problems when i first got my drive ,it wud give me errors etc or just suddenly stop reading a disc,i had time on my hands so i formatted pc and havnt had a problem since,also make sure u have latest NETFRAMEWORK installed

8. elfy528

elfy528 Guest

i found the solution to the problem.. if you wana know you can email me at edited by ddp.. it took me ages to find the solution.. all i have to say is RAWDUMPER SUX... But i do give them props for creating this program. I'm sure they will fix this problem on the next update. one last thing.. the problem is RAWDUMPER not your drive.. your drive is perfectly fine.. its just that sometimes RAWDUMPER doesn't recognize the disk either if its too dirty or some sort of encryption. I dont know what the case is.

by the way thanks for the tip neil0neil

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2008
  9. dailun

dailun Active member

Upgrade your .net framework

Run in safe Mode

See if the problem still exists

Try one at a time. Either of these may resolve your problem. If safe mode resolves your problem you may have added abackground process that rawdump doesn't like or is slowing down access to the drive.

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

elfy528, no email posting as per forum rules, post edited.

11. NDR01D

NDR01D Guest

I've had some issues with RawDump 2.0 too. It was giving me faulty drive errors and wouldn't read discs :(. But I tried running it in safe mode.. seemed to work... once. After that I tried leaving the tray open, opening RawDump 2.0 putting the wii/gcn disc in and pressing "start dump" AS i put the disc in. I press the button, THEN close the tray holding the game. Seems to always work for me :)

12. kolo909

kolo909 Member

it works! what he said works! do this and you will get your games burning!

13. wiizard

wiizard Member

I have been using Rawdump for months and backed up many of my discs.

Today i got Smash Bros (PAL) and it gives me a the faulty drive msg everyone is talking about.

My diagnostics tell me the drive is fine and i have backed up at least 20 games previously so im not a noob at this.

Any answers yet? ive got 2.0 so i guess ill try 2.1 and see if that helps...

14. wiizard

wiizard Member

2.1 not working

it has a check box for dual layer but it didnt work with it checked or not

looks like its time for friidump...

15. rozzi

rozzi Member

simple solution for me was to change the external enclosure bought a cheap one from PLE Computers, switched on, worked first time with nothing else changed backing up Wall-e now, cheers

16. powerprem

powerprem Member

17. Cloggsy

Cloggsy Member

I'm having that same issue with 'Smash Bros,' Wii Sports worked first time... Strange!

Wouldn't mind some more info (if anyone knows what is wrong???)

18. NDR01D

NDR01D Guest

I don't think SSBB works with rawdump because it's on a DVD DL.

Try friidump. :)

19. Cloggsy

Cloggsy Member

Downloaded Friidump0.4.0 & trying it now... It is making a .iso file, so it is doing more than it did initially :eek:)

Fingers crossed - I'll post whether I'm successful or not ;o)

20. Cloggsy

Cloggsy Member

Nope :eek:( Didn't work... Stopped on 46%