1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Faulty drive errors with rawdump 2.0

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by j2huggar, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Trustybea

Trustybea Member

Please allow me to add my experiences with both Rawdump and Friidump.

Rawdump:

I too, was more often than not, getting the 'You might have a faulty drive' message, I searched the forums and tried everything suggested, to no avail.

Then I came across something by accident:

1 - start Rawdump
    2 - insert the wii disc into the drive (in my case 8162b) and close the tray
    3 - wait for the drive to come to a stand still (about 20-30 seconds)
    4 - press Start Dump
    5 - be patient, it takes about 30-45 seconds, but the drive goes off to work and detects the wii game and starts to rip.

This works everytime for me, hopefully it will for you.

Now for Dual Layer Wii discs:

Download and use Friidump version 0.4

Insert the the disc into the drive and tell run friidump in command prompt mode. Then tell friidump to create an iso file, using this command 'friidump -d e: -i gamename.iso'

change e: to the letter of you wii drive
    change 'gamename' to whatever you want, as long as it is all one word.

The resulting rip will be in your friidump folder, and can be burnt with Imgburn.

Again this works with every dual layer disc that I have tried, hopefully it will for you too.

If anyone is interested, I have written a short and simple program that will ask for the name of the game and then rip it automatically to the friidump folder. I would be happy to modify this and send it to anyone who could make use of it.

2. 1983will

1983will Member

Hi

I had exactly the same problem, I bought an 8162b off Ebay and whenever I hit 'Start Dump' in RawDump it either said 'error your drive may be faulty' or 'unhandled exception has occurred in your application'.

Eventually I figured out the drives region hadn't been set.

To set this (on XP) go to 'Control Panel', 'Performance and Maintenance', 'Administrative Tools' then 'Computer Management'. Then under 'Storage' click on 'Disk Management', now right click on the correct drive and select 'Properties'. You will now see a 'DVD Region' tab, click that and select your country.

Since setting mine to United Kingdom (Region 2) it has worked perfectly and I now regularly back up games in 1hr 40min!!!

I hope it works for you!

3. Jasons34

Jasons34 Member

Hello. I am new to this site but have been trying to use rawdump for days without any luck. I bought an gdr-8161B. I have rawdump 2.0 installed and I can open the application. The problem is that I also get the faulty drive error. The only time when I dont get the faulty drive error right away is when I only have that drive plugged into my computer along with the jumper removed. Then I can get the program to start dumping for about 25-30 minutes, then the drive just stops and my time remaining just keeps going up. If I use the jumper or have another drive plugged into my computer along with this one, I get the faulty drive either before it finds the dvd name or while its seeding. The weird thing is that I can have another drive in, use roxio to copy disc and that works perfectly fine. I can then take the new copied dvd-r and use that in rawdump and get that to dump perfectly, yet I still cant use that in the wii. In other words, I cant get rawdump to dump my wii game. The game I have been trying is "The Price Is Right".