File sizes ???

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by loopylouc, Jun 9, 2005.

1. loopylouc

loopylouc Member

Just out of curiosity dont file sizes normally bear some relation to the length of film, eg i recently downloaded a file which was 700mb, when i actually played it, it was a 25 second clip of something entirely different. I'm used to getting files that have been misnamed but I thought that a file of that size would have been a lot longer.
    Can anyone shed any light??

2. squizzle

squizzle Active member

700MB and 25 seconds of video?? That must've been some pretty good quality video. If not I'd run a virus scan just to be safe because there could've been something else that came along with that video.....

3. loopylouc

loopylouc Member

Thanks I never thought of that, because it wasnt very good quality so it might well mean there was something else attatched

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Occasionally if video files have become corrupted they can display a tiny fraction of their total length as a film, but not the rest, a strange property that will occur if the part of the file that contains the encoding information is ok, but the rest of the data is not...

This can cometimes be tested by opening the file in the old small windows media player (mplayer2), and see if the "length" is say a couple of hours, but only 20 seconds or so play before the cursor jumps to the end.
    This test is not always indicative though, as this can happen with perfectly ok mp3 files...