firewire installation

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by milanw, Mar 27, 2006.

1. milanw

milanw Member

I have installed a firewire card on my computer running windows XP pro. Under device manager, it shows "VIA OHCI compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller" with an yellow exclamation mark. Where do I get a driver for this? Windows update couldn't find one. Thanks in advance.

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

The Firewire card is plug'n'play under XP, so there is no need to download or install a driver. Apparently something went wrong during your installation. Remove it from you system using the device manager and reboot. If you get the same problem, remove it again and physically remove the card from your PC and put it in again making sure it is properly inserted in the slot. Then reboot again.

3. milanw

milanw Member

Thanks TPFKAS. I will do as you suggested.
    Long time ago I had problem with another firewire card not showing up in the device manager, and the reason was it was not properly seated in the slot.
    If it is not properly seated, would it even show in the device manager? Now I can see it with the yellow exclamation mark.
    Also I haven't tried connecting the camera, the yellow mark means there is something wrong, right? Should I try connecting the camera and see if it detects?
    Thanks a lot again.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
  4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Yes, it may show up like that if it is not properly mounted. And it is quite useless to connect a camcorder as long as the yellow exclamation mark is there.

5. milanw

milanw Member

Thank you TPFKAS. I reinstalled the card, and it is working perfect now.