1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Firmware 4.0 COMPLETE Guide of Soft Modding your Wii for Backup Launching

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by dejuan, Apr 29, 2009.

1. dejuan

dejuan Member

this will show u how to play backups copy of your wii games throught disc channel without no modchip or backup loader

Now for latest firmware 4.0*

DISCLAIMER: NEITHER ME (THE AUTHOR OF THIS GUIDE) OR THE AUTHOR OF THE APPS ARE RESPONSIBLE IF YOU WII GOT BRICKED (YES THERE IS A CHANCE YOU WII GETS BRICK IF YOU DON'T FOLLOW STEPS CORRECTLY) SO CONTINUE AT YOU OWN DISCRETION (Don't come crying saying that your wii got bricked, you have been warned!)

Noobie FAQ

Quote:
    Q: What are its main features?

-Gamecube/Wii Backups Launching Trough the disk channel (like modchips)
    -Recovery Menu in case if your wii gets bricked
    -Custom Firmware 4.0, with 4.0 features without the security IOS files (or features..) and cIOS36 Rev 09 and ciosCORP (can be updated)
    -Install WAD's to be used on the SD Channel
    -Region Free WAD's (New Hacks.ini...look below)
    -Remove Save Files "NoCopy" Protection (New Hacks.ini..look below)
    -Disk Updates
    -Autoboot Disk (New Hacks.ini...look below)
    -Replace Healthwarning with Backmenu (New Hacks.ini)
    -Remove diag disc check (New Hacks.ini)
    -Region free Wii games (New Hacks.ini...No Backups)
    -Move Disc Channel (New Hacks.ini)

Q: What games will work?

A: Here the compability list from GBATemp Wiki

Backup Launcher - WikiTemp

Q: Will Rock Band Instruments Will Work on its Backups?

A: As far i tested, yes they do, with Rock Band 1 & 2, AC/DC Live Track Pack, Track Pack 1 & 2 WITH loading them with the disk channel (haven tested with backup loader...yet)

Q: I wanna go back to 3.2

A: Simple, you do need internet connection, go to HBC and run "cIOS Downgrader 1.2" and select your firmware/region you wanna downgrade

Q: I Screwed up!, What i can do!?

A: If you managed to install Preloader, just hold reset wile booting the wii up and run HBC and then load "cIOS Downgrader 1.2" and downgrade to a "fresh" firmware you want, if you don't have preloader, then good luck pal...

Q: Where i get more systemenu hacks?

A: Simple, just copy whats quoted in this WiiBrew Page

Preloader/hacks - WiiBrew

Look for your firmaware and region, and copy all that text to a file called "hacks.ini" and copy it to the root of your SD and go to Preloader and then to Systemenu hacks, once there u can customize the hacks, and they will be copyed to the NAND, so you can safely remove that "hacks.ini" file

Q: Can i be able to Put WAD's in the SD Channel?

A: Yes you can, be aware that only Wii Virtual Console and WiiWare WAD's Work (No Homebrew nor Injected WAD's), all you have to do is install them with WAD Manager and then use the Data Management and MOVE the WAD's to the SD and it will work (Don't Use the copy feature, as it wont work!)

Q: Can i play Region Free Backups/WADS?

A: Yes, you can play WADS in the Wii/SD with the new preloader hacks (look below for more info), but for backups, you need "GeckoOS 1.8" or higher version of GeckOS (cause its modified to use IOS 60...) and you can play region free backups.

Q: Will SoftMii/MiiWii Work with this?

A: Yes, Soft Mii Has currently devoloveped to work on 4.0, DO NOT USE THIS GUIDE SO IF YOU WANT SOFTMII!

you can find it on SoftMii

Q: Will i get banned off WFC with this?

A: No, only if you cheat online...

Q: What if my Wii auto-updates and it is no longer version 4.0?

A: If your Wii happens to auto-update, use cIOS Downgrader 1.2. Since you should have an IOS 249, it should revert back to 3.2. If you want to prevent this, my advice is to turn WiiConnect24 off, although i have got any problem with WiiConnect24...

Here the Requirements:
    ~ A Wii on Firmware 3.3U/E or lower (Docent work on Japanese Consoles)
    ~ A SD Card (at least 512 MB)
    ~ The Homebrew Channel Installed (Guide Below if you don't know how, also DON'T ERASE THIS CHANNEL OR YOU WILL LOOSE HOMEBREW CAPABILITIES IF YOU USE THIS TUTORIAL)
    ~ Internet on your wii (YOU DO NEED THIS!)

Ok First thing first i have packed all the files into one, download them below and copy them to the SD

*SKIP THIS IF YOU HAVE HOMEBREW CHANNEL INSTALLED!*

Step 1: Installing Home Brew Channel (HBC)

Ok this requires...
    ~ A Wii on Firmware 3.3 or lower (I said above this too)
    ~ A SD Card (at least 512 MB)
    ~ "The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess" Wii Original Disk (Ask you friends if they have it or rent it in blockbuster or some place...you just need this once)

*BEFORE YOU COPY THE FILES, BACKUP YOUR CURRENT The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess SAVE FILE!*

Ok once you have copied the files on to the SD Card, insert the SD Card into the Wii, and now go to Wii Settings (Click the circle on the bottom left with the letters "Wii" on it) now click "Data Management" then "Game Saves" then "Wii" and now click on the little Tab with the words "SD" on it and select your version of the hack and click on it and then click "Copy" (You will need to play The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess once to copy this file, and you will need to erase the current one if available in your wii system memory)

Now Go on and Load The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Disk

*If you have a US Version of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess...Check below the Disk and look for some letters that say RVL-RZDE-OA-* USA and

If the letters say "RVL-RZDE-OA-0", use the First Save
    If the letters say "RVL-RZDE-OA-2", use the second one*

Ok now once your in the game, walk backward or talk to the guy in front of you to activate the hack (If the game crashes, check if you selected your version)

Now click 1 a couple of time til you successfully install HBC

Once you have installed HBC you wont need Twilight Princess Anymore (Keep the Twilight Hack on the wii, just in case to fix a brick)

Step 2: Installing cIOS (Requires Internet Connection)

Ok once you have HBC Installed load it and locate the app saying "cIOS36 rev 09" and launch it, click A After a Disclaimer, then Once you there Select <Network Installation> (Move the D-PAD Right one time and will appear)

Step 3: Upgrading to 4.0 (Requires Internet Connection)

Ok now after successfully installing cIOS36 rev 09, head over back to HBC and look for the app "Firmware Updater 4.0" and launch it, Click A after the Disclaimer and let it download the files (It will take about 30-45 Minutes, so wait a while ), this will install 4.0 Without its Security Features

Step 4: Patching the IOS60 (Requires Internet Connection)

Ok once you have successfully installed Firmware 4.0, head over back to HBC and load "IOS60 Installer" and then do the following

Say NO to install IOS61 (press B)
    Say YES to install IOS60 (press A)
    Say YES to patch IOS60 (press A)
    Say NO to install the Shop Channel (press B)

Step 5: Installing Preloader

Ok once you have successfully patched the IOS60, go back to HBC and load "Preloader 0.29 Installer" and after a disclaimer click 1 and then you will be taken to a Recovery menu, in here go to System Menu Hacks and Set "Skip Disk Updates" to enable and click save then B, now go to Settings and select "Autoboot: Systemenu" (Use right and left dpad to navigate to it) and make sure in the last option it says "System Menu IOS: 60" (Its suppose to be there by default)

Then click on System menu, Make sure you boot up to System Menu and HOLD Reset to access this menu (CHECK THIS, YOU NEED TO BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS MENU THIS WAY OR YOUR WII MAY BRICK ON THE FOLLOWING STEPS!!!!!)

*WARNING: YOU MAY BRICK YOUR WII IF YOU DO THIS INCORRECTLY!!!!!!!!!!*

Step 6: Installing cIOScorp for Backup Loading

Ok once you have successfully installed Preloader (And Checked if it works!) go to HBC and Load "WAD Manager", and now you'll find alot of wads, install them EXCEPT CIOS60BF.wad!!!!! (It is 4th from last WAD)

After you installed all of the WADS EXCEPT CIOS60BF.wad, reboot your wii

(You may ask "Why does installing cIOScorp first make a difference?" So it prevents the chance of an actual brick)

You you can safely go to Wad Manager and install that last cIOS (CIOS60BF.wad) and reboot your wii

*READ CAREFULLY!!!!!!!!!!!*

Now you system menu will go as a black screen and with some blurry text in it saying "System menu files corrupt. Please consult manual for troubleshooting" DO NOT FEAR!!!!!!!, all you have to do is simple

In that error, make sure you don't have any disk in the drive (eject them), Power off and Power on AND RAPIDLY Hold the Reset Button, and gracefully you'll be in that Preloader menu

Ok now once your in the preloader menu, click on "Homebrew Channel" and your be on the HBC, and then load "Preloader 0.29 Installer" (To reinstall preloader, reminder, the setting wont be changed, so do not worry about that) and after reinstalling preloader, you System Menu will be working again and you will be able to load backups using the normal way of loading disk (Through the Disk Channel, this means you don't need Backup Launcher anymore )

(OPTIONAL STEP): Installing MIOS For Gamecube Backups

This is simple, go to HBC and run "MIOS Patcher" (You need a gamecube controller to use this app) and install it, simple

THAT'S IT ENJOY

DOWNLOAD
    serviceCREDITS TO:

Wii Backup Launcher Utilities
    Code:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U15U3M9E
    ~ Crediar (for Preloader)
    ~ Waninkoko (for his 4.0 Updater, cIOS revs, and WAD Manager)
    ~ Team Twiizers (for Homebrew Channel)
    ~ 'WiiBlaster on GBAtemp for cIOScorp
    ~ WiiGator (for his Backup Launchers)

2. karlroby

karlroby Regular member

another post by someone who hasnt done their research

Where has this come from?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  3. cac

cac Regular member

does this work on Lu64#?

4. merandom

merandom Regular member

No...

5. DJC01

DJC01 Member

Hi so Where can I get the twilight hack for the 4.0 firmware from plz thanks dan

6. merandom

merandom Regular member

You can't get it... so far you can't do the tp hack on 4.0. If you didn't have HBC on your console before upgrading to 4.0 or if you bought your console with 4.0 on it then you're out of luck for now. Stay tuned though... there may be a 4.0 hack coming out soon...

7. dejuan

dejuan Member

do u HBC install? if u do u dont need the twilight hack
    if u dont have it install and if u have 4.0 firmware u goin to half to downgrade your wii to install the HBC with twilight hack

8. DJC01

DJC01 Member

Thanks merandom dose any one know where i can get a firmware downgrader for my wii. Ive got 3.4e at the mo and cant get the bacup launcher to work i keep getting an dvd read err (324) no cios what dose this mean and where have i gone wrong if any one can help plz let me know. thanks in advance dan

9. larrylje

larrylje Active member

You dont need to downgrade the Wii system.

The dvd read error (324) usually is due to bad media or burn.

If you have installed cIOS36_rev9 like the guide says the backup launcher should work.

So if you have installed cIOS36_rev9 then try different media. Burn with IMGBurn at 4X.

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  10. larrylje

larrylje Active member

How do you expect them to downgrade the system if they are on 4.0 and no Homebrew Channel installed?

If your on 4.0 and do not have the Homebrew Channel installed then you are stuck at this time. You will need to wait till a hack comes out that exploits 4.0 firmware and at this time there is no hack.

11. DJC01

DJC01 Member

hi i cant seem to install the cios36 rev9 on firmware 3.4e it always seems to err at the end can any one help if not can some one plz leave a link to a downgrader that works so i can fix the problem thank in advance dan

12. gameover9

gameover9 Guest

Please close this thread. Not even accurate information. 4.0 is not even hackable right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Please stop asking for threads to be closed. First of all you are not the one that opened it so you shouldn't request it to be closed. Second this guide has nothing to do with hacking a virgin 4.0 firmware system. If you read the guide it has you install the HBC and cIOS before updating to 4.0 firmware.

If you want a thread closed or think it should be closed use the report link to report it to a moderator and let it be their decision.

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  14. gameover9

gameover9 Guest

I don't think I can respond to this one....

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2009
  15. jhaywood1

jhaywood1 Member

thank you so much!
    now i got 4.0 with working hacked wads