1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firmware dvd drive disc quality test and mdisc support

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by gamer1987, Jul 16, 2021.

1. gamer1987

gamer1987 Member

I have ASUS drive model DRW-24F1MT/BLK/B/AS What is the best firmware for me to use on it and release Disc Quality test (PIE, PIF, jitter) and keep full M-Disc DVD support?

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Have you tried burning an M-Disc on it yet? If it works then don't bother updating firmware. The model is rated for 4.7 GB M-Disc on ASUS's site. Is your drive producing burn errors? When looking for a product firmware, it's generally best to get it from the manufacturers site. Have you considered moving to a BD Drive? I've had some good success burning 25 GB M-Discs.

Here is a site that caries firmware for you model.

https://burners.burn4free.com/asus/asus-drw-24f1mt-driver.htm

Here is a link to discussion on MYCE about that firmware.

https://club.myce.com/t/crossflashing-asus-drw-24f1mt-to-samsung-sh-224fb/313348

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  3. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

Obviously, the answer is to use the latest version for your OS. This is the latest for Win 10 64 bit-

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-C...ternal-DVD-Drive/DRW24F1MT/HelpDesk_Download/

It's kind of interesting that ASUS says that the drive is supported in Win 8/8.1 and Win 10 but the same firmware is recommended for Vista.

I don't know why these drives are designated DRW when they can burn any type of DVD.

Sophocles- for some reason, your response didn't show up when I opened this thread and then, posted my response. Sorry about that.

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

5. gamer1987

gamer1987 Member

ASUS DRW-24F1MT / BLK / B / AS native and native firmware supports DVD M-Disc but this drive does not support Disc Quality test (PIE, PIF, jitter) it is disabled in firmware

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The ASUS DRW-24F1MT is a rebadged (relabeled) Sansung. Since ASUS doesn't make a firmware to unlock the features you're after, and you feel it's that important, you will probably have to download Samsung's firmware and "crossflash" it which effectively turns it back to a Samsung. If you decide to go that route make certain that you save a copy of your current firmware in case things go south. Here is a thread from CDfreaks (now MYCE) discussing how to crossflash your drive.

https://club.myce.com/t/crossflashing-asus-drw-24f1mt-to-samsung-sh-224fb/313348

7. gamer1987

gamer1987 Member

For reading and burning DVD and M-Disc DVD is the firmware ID00 or SB00 better???

What all the programs do I need to do this crossflash and to return the original firmware?

What causes high jitter, PIE and PIF and how can I avoid this problem? to store long-term disks before is it always necessary to run the disk quality test?

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

A couple of questions. What is your current operating system? You've already tested your drive and it is producing PIE PIF and Jitter errors? You tested it because you've had a couple of unsuccessful burns or read errors? I'm assuming that your drive is currently flashed with Asus 1.00 firmware? If you're not experiencing any problems burning M-Disc or any other discs, then don't fix it if it isn't broken. Please note that I, nor AD will be held responsible if your drive is rendered inoperable.

You can download your drive's current firmware online as a backup. I'm assuming you've tested it and you know what the firmware is?

Go here first and follow the instruction on the page.

https://www.asus.com/support/download-center

Here is some info. Read through it all, copy and paste and print anything you think you will need to reference, and remember some of the info is 3 or more years old or older, but then so probably is your drive.

"You need the drive configured as IDE (non AHCI) and a program called Dosflash."

There are probably other flash utilities. I have always flashed my drives on boot back in the day using floppy and more recently a flash drive. I no longer bother with it since none of my drives are experiencing issues burning, or producing errors. Testing a drive and getting errors can drive a person to psychosis even when there is no apparent problem.

You should really read through the linked thread carefully because it gives you the information you're seeking. The important thing to keep in mind is that you must know how to restore your original firmware if your flash fails.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  9. gamer1987

gamer1987 Member

1) All my M-Disc DVD Verbatim burned 100% and passed the read test 100% good of the nero discspeed but is it necessary to discover if PIE, PIF, jitter are high before long-term storage of the discs? if they are high will M-Disc DVD Verbatim fail in a few years?

2) DVD drive in IDE and Dosflash program is enough to revert to original firmware and also to switch to samsung firmware?

3)I can do these procedures using a SAta/USB adapter with an external power supply
    https://http2.mlstatic.com/D_NQ_NP_890959-MLB45880249228_052021-W.jpg

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

If your drive is working fine, then you really have nothing to worry about. If a burn is good now then it will be good a year from now provided you store properly. In time you're going to dump the drive you have for a newer one and your discs will still work just fine. I burn a lot M-Discs but in BD format.

Any application that will flash your drive to a new firmware is also good for reflashing it back. I'm not certain how a SATA 3 USB drive will work in bootup, because I've never tried it. Maybe ddp has?

11. gamer1987

gamer1987 Member

apparently the drive is fine because it burned the M-Disc DVD but pif, pie and jitter errors are hidden and they can make the discs die in no time? if you don't test pie, pif and jitter can it be disastrous?

I downloaded firmware ID00 but when opening it appears Tsdnwin Message: Drive can't be found why is this happening? is this firmware broken?

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Did you configure your drive as IDE (non AHCI)? You will have to make the setting in bios.

Note" M-Discs were tested by the US Department of Defense for long-term storage. The disc survived far worse than your drive is going to deliver. I will admit that back around 2008 I was also testing the dickens out of my drives on CDfreaks. We all did, but nothing ever really came of it other than a better understanding of optical drives.

Here read this if you can find the time. Take note of the extreme temperatures the discs were subjected to.

https://www.esystor.com/images/China_Lake_Full_Report.pdf

13. gamer1987

gamer1987 Member

I have not configured the BIOS for the DVD drive in IDE but is it possible to do this by connecting the drive to this adapter with an external power supply?

this M-Disc dvd is test reliable? how does it behave with PIE, jitter and PIF after firing? is it necessary to test the Disc Quality for it?

I downloaded firmware ID00 but when opening it appears Tsdnwin Message: Drive can't be found why is this happening? is this firmware broken?

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

You have to make your drive appear to be an IDE drive by making the setting inside bios. The IDE (Integrated Drive Electronics) and AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface) settings decide how your drive communicates with your PC. A software looking for a set to IDE drive will overlook an AHCI drive. Reboot your computer and hit usually delete to enter into bios. Once there look around for your drive settings, and then set you drive to IDE. Save and reboot. Once you flashed your drive you can go back into bios and set it back to AHCI.

15. gamer1987

gamer1987 Member

This firmware ID00 only opens if I plug into the PC the ASUS DRW-24F1MT drive in IDE??? firmware ID00 is from Samsung SH-224FB if I plug in ASUS DRW-24F1MT it will open Tsdnwin and not show the message: Drive not found???

this M-Disc dvd is test reliable? how does it behave with PIE, jitter and PIF after firing? is it necessary to test the Disc Quality for it?

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Could you post what operating system you're using and the make and model of your motherboard?

Did you set your drive to IDE?

17. gamer1987

gamer1987 Member

Windows 10 64bit motherboard ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0

I haven't set it up yet I just want to know the cause of the message on opening firmware ID00 Tsdnwin Drive not found

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

TSDwin is a required file made by Toshiba/Samsung for flashing your drive. It is made for Win 7 and down and I don't know if it will work with Win 10.

Setting your drive temporarily to IDE is just as easily undone. Part of the difficulty here is that we're working with dated technology. Do you by any chance have an older computer running Windows 7 that is still running? If so, then if it comes to it, you can move your drive to it, flash it, and then move it back.

19. gamer1987

gamer1987 Member

I downloaded the firmware ID00 and its icon is TSDWin it will not be possible to update the firmware because when clicking on the firmware the message drive couldnt found appears?

I don't have an old PC, is it possible to set the Unit to IDe when the drive is connected to the sata/usb adapter?

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The IDE setting is inside your motherboard bios. You will have to enter it on bootup by pressing the delete key on your keyboard. Once you're in bios then you can look to see if the setting is available for your drives. I have an Asrock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming X board, but I don't have any SATA optical drives installed to check the setting. I have two older PCs running Win7 (Q9650), and 4 M-Disc capable BD optical drives. So I really have no way to check it for you.