1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide First time PC build Need help.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by konarktriv7, May 26, 2020.

1. konarktriv7

konarktriv7 Newbie

So I’m building my first PC and most likely having problems with the Motherboard or possibly the PSU resulting in the computer not starting at all. Need some help or advice.

Parts are; R5 1600 AF, 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200Mhz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus (non max version), Sapphire Pulse RX 5600 XT, Super Flower Leadex 3 Gold 650W.

Initially I installed the CPU, RAM and GPU out of the case to test if it would boot and after plugging the CPU fan and CPU power, Mobo power and GPU power (and switching on the Power Supply), I attempted to turn it on by jumping the power switch with a screwdriver and absolutely nothing happened, no fans spin, no lights blink. I re-seated and made sure everything was plugged in correctly and tried again, still nothing, so I removed the GPU and tried again with just CPU and RAM, same result.

At this point, I’m thinking either the Motherboard or Power Supply has to be dead, but this is where things get complicated. It looks like no power is getting to the board so I look up how to test a Power Supply and see that you can jump one of the pins to ground to get a PSU to turn on without plugging it into a Motherboard. This will usually make PSU fan start spinning, then I could test some pins with a Multimeter to see if it’s delivering power. Unfortunately my PSU doesn’t spin up its fan until it reaches a certain temperature, also it turns out, some PSUs won’t turn on at all unless there is some load connected and I have nothing else to plug it into. So testing the Power Supply ended up being completely pointless.

Next I had a closer look at the Motherboard to see if there’s any visible damage and don’t find any. At this point I notice the Bios Flashback button, which is the only button on the board. I press it and nothing happens, so I plug the CPU and Mobo power cables back in and press it again. This time the led next to the button blinks a few times then stops. This is the only indication I have that the Mobo is receiving power and means the PSU is at least doing something and isn’t completely dead. So at this point I’m leaning towards there being something wrong with the Motherboard more so than the PSU, but still really have no idea what’s going on.

I tried different power points/outlets, tried different cables from the PSU, made sure everything was seated and plugged in correctly multiple times, cleared the Cmos, whatever that’s supposed to do, googled to see if anyone else has had the same issue and couldn’t really find anything that applied to my situation. I’m at the end of my troubleshooting abilities and not sure what to do next. Does anyone else have experience with a similar situation, or advice on anything else I could try, or is the best thing to do just RMA the motherboard. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Update: My issue has been solved, thank you.

10.0.0.0.1 192.168.1.254 happymod

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

do you have a hard drive or optical drive you can connect to the psu? i presume you jumped the green wire with a black wire on the psu when attempting to test the psu? did you connect both psu power connectors to the motherboard?

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Did you make certain to connect the CPU to power?

Attached Files:

4. ChappyTTV

ChappyTTV Member

Hmmmm...no answer yet...I wonder Sophocles ;)

5. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

If you notice, the author reported that the issue was solved. Would have been nice to know what the solution is.

YOBUZZB likes this.