formatting pc

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by themusic, Jun 15, 2005.

1. themusic

themusic Member

how do i do a complete format of a pc without the windows xp disk, i upgraded to xp at my local computer shop and it was £30 cheaper without the disk so i did that, now iv told someone they can have the computer but i want to restore it to make it seem "new" is this possible?

2. haimback

haimback Regular member

hi there you could get a set of boot disks from here and do a clean format.http://www.bootdisk.com/
    But how do you plan on putting the O/S back on without the xp disk?
    Cannot believe companies can get away with selling xp to people such as yourself without the disk - such a rip off.
    Anyway as i mentioned you can format without the xp setup disk but your going to have a blank hard disk. If the person your giving the comp to doesn't have a set-up disk your going to have to get yourself one to put windows back on again.
    Haim

3. heybilly

heybilly Regular member

Ehh in ur situation probably best thing to do is go into Add/Remove Programs and just uninstall all the stuff that isnt needed... Then go into User Accounts and create a new Administrative Account(Maybe name it the person ur giving the pc to), Log Off and switch to that new account... Go back into User Accounts and delete your old accounts... You should probably run an antivirus and spybot or something to see if theres anything else lying around.

4. themusic

themusic Member

i thought there would be an easy way to do it. how can a respected computer company get away without giving me the disk?? i always assumed this was the norm.

5. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Ask the computer outfit from whom you purchased the computer. If they won't give you an XP disk, buy one.