1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FREE DVD Software, download a FULL version of DVD Shrink!

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Shoey, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Shoey

Shoey Guest

DVD Shrink is software to backup DVD disks. You can use this software in conjunction with DVD burning software of your choice, to make a backup copy of any DVD video disk. DVD Shrink does not burn DVDs! The output from DVD Shrink is saved as files on your hard drive, which you can then burn to a DVD-R using separate burning software, such as the software provided with your DVD-R drive.

http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/DVDShrink.zip

Shoey_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Certified Computer Technician
    http://www.afterdawn.com
    Forum Rules
    http://www.afterdawn.com/general/legal.cfm

[/small]

2. sheppy124

sheppy124 Regular member

have tested briefly, on a par with dvd2one, a few more options, layout not as easy as dvd2one but not bad. Not a bad little freeware program at the moment, no doubt we will have to pay for it if it turns out popular.

3. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

How long will it take to copy a movie with DVD shrink ?
    I guess it takes much longer than f.e. DVD2one because it will encode the files and DVD2one compresses them.

What about the quality ?

4. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Wizkid,
    Sometimes you have to get your feet wet and test these programs and compare. I also found you can download the DVD Shrink "freeware" version at doom9. Go to the downloads section.
    http://www.doom9.net/

Shoey :)

5. Nightlite

Nightlite Guest

I tried dvdshrink last night for the first time, and if you consider that it strips and encodes the dvd at the same time it might be a little less time than using a stripper and dvdone2... It does not have the choices... at this time but the movie only seems to be the same. I am very pleased with the results todate

6. 3699wat

3699wat Guest

I downloaded DVD shrink, but I am new to this. What happens to the files on the original DVD if you re-encode file(s) with this program?

7. Shoey

Shoey Guest

The program is dsigned to "shrink" the vob files from a dvd movie that is larger than 4.7 gigabyte. This allows you to burn on a dvd-r m8.

8. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

I mean if someone allready tested it and give me bad results I will not need to test it myself.

THNX anyway Shoey...

9. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Wizkid,
    We can't always rely on other people's test m8. The feedback is important news to us but we should at least test the program once to see how it works and see what kind of results we get. It's like reading articles, do you always believe what you read? Me, certainly not!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2003
  10. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Your all getting me very curious to try this new proggie.

Even though I have no real problems with DVD2One.

Shall I,shan't I ?

nice to have choices

11. Nightlite

Nightlite Guest

It is very worth trying.... It is easy with one less step to make a backup copy of your dvds.. Just did Monster with the new version that came out today...

12. 3699wat

3699wat Guest

I am still not sure I understand this right. Are the files on the original DVD kept intact and is the re-encoding done on the hard drive. What am I missing here?

13. Shoey

Shoey Guest

The answer to your question= Yes! The vob files are "shrunk" so one can burn a movie that is over 4.7 gigabtye to a 4.7 gig dvd-r.
    Kinda like when you encode wave to mp3= "shrinks" the file and still get almost equal quality m8.

Shoey

14. 3699wat

3699wat Guest

Thanks Shoey. Made a great backup. Burned the ripped copy with Nero and actually have a good quality copy of the DVD.

15. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Good to hear m8. Print out that guide (dvd2dvd-r) and save to a floppy as ChickenMan will update from time to time. Remember when burning video to burn [bold] slow [/bold]
    dvd-r (1x)
    cd-r (4-8x)DivX, VCD, SVCD
    dvd2dvd-r:http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=1972d4927319d66fa06843d9c3027a15&threadid=62671

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2003
  16. brobear

brobear Guest

Seems like Shrink has been around for a while. It's popular to the point it has a cult following and it is still free. This improved version makes the program more modern for current needs. You can set up to burn the new dual format discs. There is even a split ISO setup for people using the older FAT32 systems.

The new still image offering under compression settings now allows some editing function in the full backup mode. It is no longer full disc or edit. The still image under compression settings inserts an image where the unwanted files would have been. So one can edit out the extras and still have a fully functional menu. All accomplished without going into Re Author. The good editing capabilities are still there for those who like to do it.

The deep analysis and quality settings don't become noticable until one gets to compression loads of about 25 to 30%. Up to there you are looking at basically the same Shrink picture quality. Where one used to get skipping and poor quality at higher compressions, the compression problems now don't start showing up until somewhere over 40%. At about 50% compression the picture started getting a fuzzy contrast. Still decent for many, but slightly off peak, especially on my 60" screen. A lot of transcoders would have been breaking up seriously at the same level. Most people would switch to true encoders like CCE or the like at high compression levels. But a lot of people use what they have. At the price (free), Shrink is definitely available.

Shrink is as good as some retail programs and better than some. There are also better. As I said earlier Shrink is now more modern. It is also a versatile program. I have several other programs, but Shrink is retained for various uses. It does more than record. But then one learns some things by reading and experimenting. I often suggest Shrink for Newbies to learn on. Once they have some skills, they are more competent in choosing other software. Also, once one has learned, they usually keep Shrink as well as the new choices.