1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free McBoot Install Failed - Failed to open DVDELF

Discussion in 'PS2 - Software boot discussion' started by dabooz, Feb 20, 2009.

1. dabooz

dabooz Member

I have tried to install Free McBoot 1.8 and I keep getting a error that it failed to open DVDELF. I have a fat PS2 I believe version 5. I am launching FMCB using a memory card exploit that I installed quite a while ago that launches Ule 4.12. When I launch FMCB it comes up fine but when I select Normal Install it starts then errors out telling me that it failed to open DVDELF. Is there something that I am missing?

2. 6ixtynin9

6ixtynin9 Guest

It depends on many things. What kind of memory card are you using? What's the size? What's the brand (if it's any)? Does it support Magicgate? Are the McBoot files corrupted? Try re-downloading it or download from a different site. FAKE memory cards will not work. 95% of the fake cards are usually the "no brand" 64MB cards that you see for sale for $6 on ebay or any other website. Actually all no brand 64MB/32MB/16MB/8MB memory cards are fake and will not work. Sometimes the 32MB cards from Datel will fail to work as well.

3. dabooz

dabooz Member

It is an 8MB Sony memory card and I downloaded the Noobie set from SKSApps which sounds like a good set from all of the Forums I have read, but I can look for another set of files. I am not sure if it supports Magicgate as I have not heard that term yet. How do I tell?

4. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

Did you download the DVDELF.bin for your region and place it in the INJECT folder. Remember to rename it to DVDELF.BIN
    http://home.comcast.net/~jnabk3/1.7/inject.html

Once you bring up the installer , make sure to format your memory card, then do the Normal Install or Multi-Install if you wish to use this on multiple PS2's.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  5. 6ixtynin9

6ixtynin9 Guest

SKSApps is a reputable site. I asked because I assumed you were downloading from rapidshare or megaupload, where users upload their own file for others to download.

If it's an official Sony product, you don't have to worry about MagicGate as Sony are the creator of MagicGate. This may be a little off topic, but all or some of the followings are signs of a fake memory card or one that does not support MagicGate:

*corrupted save when saving certain games
    *inability to save a certain game
    *when SLOT 1 or SLOT 2 or both can't detect the memory card (even though it's inserted into either slots)
    *when memory card freezes as you try to access it through the PS2 browser

6. dabooz

dabooz Member

Thank you, it worked after I added in the DVDELF file. I thought that it was optional but apparently it was need by my system.

7. smokyrain

smokyrain Senior member

It is actually optional and you can just ignore the "failed to inject DVDELF.BIN when installing

But it does help on reducing memory card space when space is limited.

I just always include it in the INSTALL anyway.