Free Player with out spy ware or pop-up ads

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Hazelnut, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Member

I installed Divx Pro 5.0.5 Bundle, codecs & player (vers. 2.1). I Did not read the agreement. Gator/Gain,will allow use of free software only if you accept "non-stop" pop-ads. I have a Firewall, which shows that by now, Gator/Gain installed many tracking devices on my computer.To use Free Divx player, one must accept Gator/Gain pop-ups. I installed FFDShow. I have Windows Multi-media 9, Real One Basic & Win-Amp 3(great for sound, screen too small for videos).To get rid of the Gator/Gain problem, I need to remove the Divx 2.1 player & all codecs associated with it. Hopefully, FFDShow will allow me to playback all Divx videos, & other codec formats.
    So: Researched on following Players:
    BS Player, Zoom Player,V Player (by Vidomi),VLC 0.6.1 (from Videolan).Since all are said to be great (by site itself and some users), please help me choose the best player, which will play all avi movies (divx & xvid)dvd, svcd, vdc, mpeg, ogg, etc, with-out crashing my system (windows XP Professional).Fast & Reliable (no hidden problems). No spy ware! No Pop-ups! No installing tracking devices on my Hard Drive. I'd appreciate feed back. Thanks.
    I hope

2. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

You could have installed the free version of the divx codec. But that wont do you any good if you are thinking of divx encoding. But the players youve listed are pretty good. I have zoomplayer myself and its pretty awesome. The only problem I have with it is when I play mpegs; zoomplayer keeps resizing the video which aggravates me a lot. Its not that much of a big deal since I use WMP9 for mpeg playback anyways.

Yes zoomplayer would be the best choice with its wide array options and it doesnt consume cpu power like WMP9. You can also use WMP6.4 which you can find in the windows media player program folder which is less cpu intensive than its successor. Only drawback? No option to create playlists.

3. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Member

Hi Powerdup. 1)I read the statistics on these players: BS,Zoom, V. Player & VLC 0.6.1. They all seemed good. As you personally have the Zoom player,what made you choose it above all others? 2)If you use wmp9 for mgeg playback, when do you use the Zoom player? (any particular types of videos or applications)? Can the Zoom player resizing the mpeg video problem be fixed? 3)What do you mean I could've installed a free version of divx codec? U mean without the FREE Divx 2.1 player which comes with Gator pop-ads? Where can these codecs be found? 4)I installed FFDShow per your advice.Do I still need the free version of the divx codec?, will the FFDShow software conflict with the Divx codecs, or do I install the Divex codecs in addition to the FFDShow that I already have? 4) What do you mean by Divx Encoding? So far, I just tried to playback the videos.
    P.S.I sent you a thread concerning the FFDShow configuration menu, may be it got lost in cyber space.I had problems, your system kept saying there was a problem with my password. I will wait a day, if I don't hear from you, I'll send one again.Again I tried to send message, and got a log out error. What am I doing wrong? Does the message get sent even when I get a log out error? Please delete duplicates of message.
    Once more, thank you for your prompt reply & assistance. Please advise if my questions need to be clearer. Regards.

4. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

1. I chose the zoomplayer because of the zoom, and because out of the three, zoomplayer just seemed right for me.

2. I use the zoomplayer to play my divx or xvid encodes and to play mp3s.

3. Im sorry I assumed they still offered the free divx codec(no adware), but now that ive seen the site, they only offer the codec with the adware.

4. Well it depends on what you want. If you want the divx codec to decode your movies then by all means download it. If you want to use ffshsow then dont. Its all a matter of what you prefer. FFDshow can co-exist with the divx codec on your computer, there will be no conflicts.

5. By Divx encoding I mean taking a video clip, for example an mpeg, and encoding it using the divx codec to create an avi. You can also do this using files you rip from the dvd. You can find a lot of guides here at afterdawn that will help you do it.

Im not sure why youre getting the log out error but maybe you could try refreshing the page and type in your username and password again.

5. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Member

Hi Powerdup. Thank you for all your advice. Much appreciated. 1)Regarding Encoding/Decoding, it sounds too complicated for right now. I will look up inform. at a later date or try to find some one to help me out. Now, I'm trying to learn how to use CDR-W (copying videos from HD to CD, ie. burn cd). 2)I,will review players choices again. Am not sure what you meant about Zoom player's ZOOM feature. 3)Still did not get reply about my FFDShow thread. Since your replies are prompt, I'll wait & send a new thread tomorrow.
    4)If I stay with FFDShow only (after removing the Divx 2.1 player & its codecs), do I need to also down-load the divec 5.0.5 codec? 5)Before I send a new thread about FFDShow configuration options:in short, there are many DISABLED codecs in the list. Why?
    Thanks again, Regards.

6. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

You should get Spybot search and destroy. A free software that hunts down all the spyware on your computer and removes it. This is good as lots of probrams scretely add junk. Only just resently they have to tell you before they add spy software. I found alot of junk with Microsoft programs. Microsoft again is trying to pimp me out for there own gain.

7. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Member

Hi, I tried sending message.Got same password error. Clicked on Refresh, message disappeard.
    I'll start over.If you get doubles, delete previous.
    I don't think you ans. my 2nd. question:
    1)I down-loaded FFDShow. Per download site, it stated to deselect "WMV" (window media video 1)
    which I deselected.When I opened properties window in Configuration, I clicked on CODECS to (view). Many codecs were DISABLED. Why?
    Following Codecs are DISABLED: wm1/7, wmv2/8, H.263+, mpeg1, mpeg2, mpeg in avi, mjpeg, dv, cyvv,asvi, Huffyuv,Theora,Rant video. Why are these disabled? The wm1 & wm2 I guess to be the "wmv" codecs? Do I need to RE-INSTALL FFDShow? When I select a DISABLED codec, a drop-down icon appears. When clicking on icon, two codec choices are given:libmpeg2 & libav.
    Which one do I select? Will choosing one of these options ACTIVATE the disabled codecs?? Why are these codecs disabled???
    2)When I clicked on HELP,in the same window (FFDShow configuration/properties window) nothing happened.
    How do I learn what all these options, on the left side of window (shaded in grey)are? How do I figure out which ones are to be selected, if I don't know what functions they do??
    Thanks for your support & advice. Regards.

8. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

The zoom part was a bad attempt at a joke...

4. If you wish to stay with ffdshow and let it decode divx movies then you dont need to reinstall the divx 5.05 codec.
    Probably because most people wont have movies that are encoded with those deselected codecs with the exception of mpeg1 and mpeg2. Im guessing the creators of ffdshow are relying on the codecs that come with the user's operating system.

No you dont need to reinstall FFDSHOW those codecs are disabled at default. You can enable them if you choose to.

I suggest choosing libavcodec, and yes once you choose this ffdshow will now decode movies with the newly enabled codec.

Well, I learned by trial and error, so if youve got the time just go through the options and play around with them.

9. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Member

Hi Powerdup. 1)If for all the disabled by default codecs, I choose to activate with the codec "libav codec" what will this do as a whole to all the disabled codecs,and to the playback itself? Trial by error is ok, but I don't know what to expect or not to expect if I activate all the disabled codecs, or even if I activate one at a time.What does "livav" codec mean & do?.
    2)Just to let you know, since you have began helping me, (& I have been writing to you quite a bit) I have down-loaded the FDDShow,& upgraded to Direct X vers.9.(still need to down-load a few more things, will keep you posted), Lo & behold, two (2)of the (3) videos that I couldn' watch (no picture)I can now watch in all players & the multi-media player which came with Win. XP which till now, I didn't know I had). One video I gave up on, & removed from my HD. However, I can not say much for the quality of the movies. One video has small little frames jumping all over the background. Two others, are on the dark side. I have tried to find the GRAPHICS ACCELERATOR(Win. XP, Profess.) I don't know where it is. I went to Control panel, setting, and couldn't find a button called Performance, where supposedly, the Graphincs Accelerator is. Any idea?
    3)Real One Basic Player keeps changing the size of the video when I playback in Theatre mode or Double mode. Was this what you meant when you said "Zoom Player" kept resizing? yes, it is annoying. Each player seems to playback videos with different colors & little or no distortions. strange.
    p.s. out of curiosity, In which country do you live? Again, thank you for all your help.
    p.p.s. my typing skills are improving.
    Regards.

10. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

1. The libav codec is the codec ffdshow uses to decode movies. If you enable all the disabled codecs, then ffdshow will decode the movies which have been encoded with those codecs.
    I would suggest leaving the codecs at its default.

2. Nope sorry I dont know where the 'graphics accelerator' can be found...About those two movies, have you run them in GSPOT?

3. Yeah thats why i usually stick to 2 or 3 players I know I can trust.

I live in the United States. You?

No Problem.

11. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Member

Hi Powerdup.U said that activating the disabled codecs in FFDShow to LIBAV codec will encode the movies which have been encoded with the livav codec. Do u mean that ONLY the livav encoded movies will play back? or, all movies encoded with all codecs including LIVAV codec will play back? If the LIVAV codecs are what FFDShow uses, why are they disabled then, I am confused.
    To Member Prisoner: Thanks for info. about Spybot search & destroy. I have Ad-aware 6.0. Excellent spy ware, though the basic (free)vers. is limited in features when comparing the basic vers. to the Pro versions, which are not free. Check the Lavasoft site.
    Powerdup:I live in Quebec, but, Toronto is where I want to be. Thanks again. Regards.

12. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

FFDSHOW uses the libavcodec to playback(decode) movies that were encoded with the codecs listed in the supported codec section.