freeze ups on portable dvd

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by chewbaca, Jun 17, 2005.

1. chewbaca

chewbaca Member

I just bought a portable dvd player with 7" screen to take with me on vacation.I was watching a disk and about an hour or more into the movie it started making a little noise and then the picture started freezing and voice and picture was not in sync.Could someone tell me what causes that.

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

if it's a backup, it's the media. I have a portable Polaroid dvd player and it plays backups fine.

3. chewbaca

chewbaca Member

It seems as tho the motor slows down or it gets too hot.I,ll try an original disk first and see what happens.

4. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

I'm serious about that. What brand of media are you using for backups?

5. paztelu

paztelu Regular member

True, True and again true, some low "el cheapo" media tend to be unstable at the edge of disc, so plz provide us with media info, remember to burn backups always do so at 4x or less so you can be sure your free of buffer under run errors

6. chewbaca

chewbaca Member

One media was KHypermedia and the other was imation.Both of them are 4X.They play find in my regular dvd player.They tend to freeze or skip in my portable dvd player.

7. paztelu

paztelu Regular member

Umm....Khypermedia..I dunno which manufactures this media but why dont you try using DVD IDENTIFIER to check manufacturer of this media, why dont you try using better and 1st class media: TDK,Maxell, Fuji +R, Verbatim, I assure you, you wont get any problems, maybe Khypermedia has problem when getting near the edge so try to changer the output size in DVD decrypter to a little less, but my recommendation, Buy Verbs or Fuji +R or some good media (that excludes Memorex and Hp) also try running the DVD identifier to check media manufacturer on those Khypermedia

8. chewbaca

chewbaca Member

Well I dont think it is the media.I just played an original dvd disk(Tomb Raider) and it started skipping about an hour into the movie.Like I said before it seems to do it after it gets hot.

9. paztelu

paztelu Regular member

Well know that we know its not a media problem, could you provide us the model # of your DVD player, if it still under warranty its probabbly time to get it replaced or repaired, it was probabbly a defective player so exchange it and tell us how you do..GL

10. chewbaca

chewbaca Member

Its a logtek 829T.I got it online from the UK.Maybe this was a bad idea getting it from them.

11. paztelu

paztelu Regular member

As I stated before, you should return it and get your money back or get another of the same model maybe your player is defective.

12. aanuszek1

aanuszek1 Member

was it manufactured in the UK? It could be that the disk is reigion encoded or something like that.

13. aanuszek1

aanuszek1 Member

14. paztelu

paztelu Regular member

Its not a region problem, if it was the DVD would not even start, a warning will appear informing the user a wrong region disc was inserted....

15. chewbaca

chewbaca Member

I just got an email from the manuf.They said there was an ongoing problem with the broad band or something and told me to send it back. Although I have to pay for shipping, all repairs would be free.I want to thank you guys for your input.