Frgmented capture by panasonic PV GS-500

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by e065688, Jun 25, 2006.

1. e065688

e065688 Member

I just bought a Pany PV GS-500 with the intent to make some home movies. The problem is that regardless of the software used, the video gets captured in different AVI files. I had to used Super video joiner to join different segment in order to have a complete file as it was recorded. I suspect there has to be an easier way to capture videos directly from the DV tape to my HD. I welcome any feedback and avice.

2. SOCOMII

SOCOMII Regular member

Well if you still want to join the avi files, here is a guide
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/virtualdub_join_avi.cfm
    but if you want to capture with comething different, try virtualdub its free and fairly easy to use.
    just go to the capture part and select a codec like panasonic DV (find it on google) and start capturing.
    If you are looking for a little more user friendly one click typ application try windows movie maker, or pinnacle or windvd creator.
    GooD Luck

3. e065688

e065688 Member

Thanks for the feedback. I have tried Pinnacle and win moviemaker but video is captured in different pieces. Guess my question is is this normal or its perhaps due to connecting via USB2 since I do not have a card for firewire (DV) connection.

4. SOCOMII

SOCOMII Regular member

hmm, doesent sound normal to me, though ive never captured through usb but i have heard bad things about usb. try with firewire the cards are really cheap these days around 6$ and also did you try with virtualdub?

5. SOCOMII

SOCOMII Regular member

also are you sure that the captured avi file itself is spit up or that pinnacle made auto chapters, when it sought nescessary? either way there should be an otion to disable this.