Ftp and ip address trouble

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by ozbrat, Jul 1, 2005.

1. ozbrat

ozbrat Guest

hi, this is the first time l have read and used a forum but l really are at a stage where l wanna pull out my hair and scream :)~ l have read the one for nobs ha ha and l did exactly as it said but to still be in the gutter and gettin no where. l have got everything for xboc to Pc, l am using the cross cable method. l got a ethernet PCI Adapter installed on the PC, the cross over cable and l use Slayer on the Xbox. The info on the Xbox is as follows:
    IP 192.168.1.200
    Sub Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1

The Computer is (l got this from going to start,run typing cmd the at prompt typing ipconfig/all....is this how you find your ip address of computer?)

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 210.50.244.95
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 210.50.244.95
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 203.134.24.70

lm on dial up.

l have tried to ftp and l dont get anywhere. l enabled the ip static used xbox as name and password, tried all sorts of ip addresses!!! Followed the step by step instructions on this forum but just dont get anywhere.
    Have l set something up wrong? or not doing something right? If someone could help me it would be great.

Thanks ozbrat

2. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

3. ozbrat

ozbrat Guest

ok...l followed this did exactly what it told me to do, the cable is connected right, the ip shows on the dashboard and the one was changed on my computer like it said. Still have no connection comes up error :(. The only thing l am doubtful about is in the first step of the link you gave me it said quoted '...and make sure that the DHCP is disabled' what is this DHCP, l tried to find it but couldnt l looked in the settings but with no luck, could this be my problem? ..this is getting to be too frustrating to me. It certainly looks easy until you try doing it. Thank you for helping
    ozbrat :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2005
  4. punqewe

punqewe Active member

I imagine you are using evox (slayers). So you are going to want to goto 'evox settings' and in here you will see in the list where you can view your IP address. If it says STATIC you're good to go....if not click it and it should change to static. Highlight your IP address it and press the 'A' button. A virtual keyboard should pop up and here you will enter what IP you would use. (192.168.0.xxx) Then goto the bottom and select 'save and exit'

We will use these settings as an example
    XBOX
    IP-192.168.0.225
    subnet-255.255.255.0
    default gateway-192.168.0.10

Now on your PC goto your control panel and select network connections. You should see what connections are availible to you here. Select the one that is your connection to your xbox,and right click it. Select 'properties' and a window will pop up.
    Highlight 'internet poperties (TCP/IP)' and then click the 'poperties' button. Here is where you will enter your IP for that network card.
    We will use these settings as an example
    PC
    IP-192.168.0.224
    subnet-255.255.255.0 (default setting)
    default gateway-192.168.0.10

Now click OK and exit out of these windows. You might have to reboot both machines for the settings to take effect,you might not.

Now in your ftp program,you will use the settings
    IP-192.168.0.225
    user-xbox
    password-xbox

and you should connect.

PS-make sure your firewall lets this all pass through it or you'll start pulling hair out again.

5. RXV2300

RXV2300 Regular member

I have a question which I believe you might be able to answer.
    After several months of being able to use evox slayer without any problems, today I was not able to make connection from xbox to pc after some time I noticed that IP "192.168.1.200" had vanished.
    However it is still very much in the evox setting but it doesn't come up in the ip box underneath the "DVD DRIVE" box.
    This is the screen where on the left side of the screen we have drive
    E,F,G & on the other side we have DVD drive, IP & BIOS.
    Now the IP box is empty but I clearly remember that it contained the mentioned IP nr.
    I also noticed that the bios box states "Unknown", unfortunatley I can't remember if bios box was always makred "unknown" but I know 100% that IP box was not empty & it now is.
    Can you please help/assis me with this.
    Thank youm

6. punqewe

punqewe Active member

have you tried unplugging the ethernet cord and checking it? I know sometimes the ethernet plug on the xbox gets kinda wonky.....maybe yours is getting an attitude. Anyways,you would think you'd get the old 0.0.0.0. IP if anything. Sometimes those problems are just trial and error....the bios on the otherhand. Usually it would tell you the bios type in the dash. Unless the bios has been modded,or is an unidentified type for the dash. There are bios files that are newer than some dashboards,so in turn the dash might not know what the bios is. And by default it will read 'unknown'.

7. RXV2300

RXV2300 Regular member

I've tried few netowrking cable & same result.
    What would have caused the bios/dashboard to vanish?
    I've been using this for about 7 months & always worked until now,
    I have not played or changed the bios or even tried to play with the settings at all.
    It's strange becuase I am still able to play back-up games, load games/movies on the xbox hd but it's only the networking that is the issue & that's because (atleast I think) is the result of ip not being recognized.