FTP Connection for Xbox and PC

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by Atran, May 15, 2005.

1. Atran

Atran Member

I just got an Xbox modded with a Xecutor chip and Avalaunch dashboard. I have all the programs to back up games already but I can't connect my PC and Xbox. It keeps on failing. I'm using a network cable to connect to the back of the Xbox and the ethernet port of my PC and I am using FlashFXP. I have tried the IP address on the complete guide already and it doesn't work. Please help me connect my Xbox and PC...

2. Betatestr

Betatestr Member

i have been having the same problems i read a few tutorials and im pretty sure its the cable i was using. so i went to walmart today and picked some up to see if i would have any luck. i am about to try it right now. ill tell you how it goes.

EDIT @ may 15th 2005 5:02EST
    ok i got it connected to the pc. i was right. it costs like 10 bucks for the cable you need maybe cheaper. but i bought the "system link cable with bonus online broadband network cable" game elements by gemini in the xbox section and it works great. you also need the full version of FlashFXP if thats whats you using. good luck and i hope that helped

Last edited: May 15, 2005
  3. Atran

Atran Member

4. JimmyO

JimmyO Guest

i has to be an actual 'crossover' cable, the colured wires that hold in the ethernet adapters are a different combination at both sides, bog sandard network cables are the same at both ends

jim

5. JimmyO

JimmyO Guest

you also have to disable all other network connections active on your pc/laptop befor you turn on the xbox, it will show up as a 'local area network', couple of other things you need to change too....

jim

6. Atran

Atran Member

So it has to be an ACTUAL crossover cable or will a System Link Cable work too like Betatestr said?

7. Betatestr

Betatestr Member

thats not the cable i got. the one i got was 3rd party. but as far as i know a cable you would use to connect 2 xbox's togeather should work since its just "xbox to xbox", "xbox to pc", or "pc to pc" its all the same i would think. and it did work. so just go to walmart cut the case open neatly so if it doesnt work just take it back. once i plugged it in i instantly knew it worked because i didnt see that "no connection" crap windows says. then it was all the ftping it. im actually burning my back up to a dvd-r right now.

8. Atran

Atran Member

Ok I'll go try out the Microsoft System Link cable and if it doesn't work I'll get a crossover cable.

9. JimmyO

JimmyO Guest

if the system link cable is exactly the same at both ends, it wont work....you may already have a crossover cable, most of em dont say

jim

10. Atran

Atran Member

I just got a crossover cable and it connects to my xbox (Using FlashFXP) but it doesn't show the folders. It says "Connected to Xbox" but then in 5-10 seconds it says "connection lost". I currently have Halo 2 in my system. Anyone know what's wrong?

11. XBOXER283

XBOXER283 Guest

I have a mod chip installed and I have flashed a (hacked) BIOS, along with the KERNEL BIOS. My problem not is networking my PC to my Xbox. I have hooked up the cross over cables (yes, they are cross-over cables). I changed the IP adress in my PC & Xbox. Then I select RESTART NETWORK on my Xbox. every time it tells me "network failed". I have not installed FlashFTP, is this the problem? I'm not sure if I set the IP up correctly in my PC. I have spent hours on this, SOMEONE PLEASE HELP.

12. Atran

Atran Member

I finally did it! I successfully made a backup. ^_^ and yes you need FlashFTP for another FTP program.

As for my computer I used.

IP address: 192.168.0.2
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

For my Xbox:
    I used an Avalaunch dashboard.
    DCHP: Disabled
    IP address: 192.168.0.3
    Gateway: 0.0.0.0
    DNS1: 0.0.0.0
    DNS2: 0.0.0.0
    Proxy: Enabled
    Port: 8080
    Username: xbox
    Password: xbox

And in the FTP program I used

IP Address: 192.168.0.3
    Site: Xbox
    Username: xbox
    Password: xbox

13. k-oz21

k-oz21 Guest

i am trying to set up my xbox live but i get an error "no dns server addr was recieved from dhcp" the xbox is connected to my comp and that is connected to a usb wirless adapter + a router

14. smiffy198

smiffy198 Member

the simpliest way to access your xbox the same way you browse files on your computer

This tutorial assume you already know what is ftp and how to use it.
    Also assumed, connectivity Xbox/Win fully functionnal.

1- You need to know your Xbox Ip address, the login/pass of Xbox ftp server.

2- Right Click on desktop an area where there's no icons.

3- Select New -> Shortcut

4- "Create Shortcut" box appears.

5- Now you need to fill the "Type the location of the item" box. Here's how :

synthax : ftp://XBOX_USERNAME:XBOX_PASSWORD@IP_ADDRESS_XBOX/

where's :

XBOX_USERNAME = your xbox ftp server username
    XBOX_PASSWORD = your xbox ftp server password
    IP_ADDRESS_XBOX/ = your xbox ftp server IP address

example 1:

Xbox setting : IP=192.168.100.1 Username:xbox Password:xbox

then enter this in the box :

ftp://xbox:xbox@192.168.100.1/

example 2:

Xbox setting : IP=192.168.0.5 Username:TLab Password:GUEST_IT

then enter this in the box :

ftp://TLab:GUEST_IT@192.168.0.5/

6- Once "Type the location of the item" box is filled, click "Next"

7- In "Type a name for this shorcut" box, enter a descriptive name, like "My Xbox". Click "Finish"

8- Now check on your desktop, there's now a shorcut with the name you enter previously. You can browse the files on your Xbox the same way you do on your computer. You can also use Windows Explorer for copy/cut/paste/drag n drop operations from PC->Xbox or Xbox->PC

15. k-oz21

k-oz21 Guest

I don't know what an ftp is oh and does it matter that my computer is hooked wirlessly to a wireless router?

16. JimmyO

JimmyO Guest

not at all...im in the same boat...works just fine

jim

17. BBBphil

BBBphil Member

CAN ANYONE HELP ME!!

how do i get my pc to recognize the xbox. ive tried all the different ip adresses and changing gateways etc. nothing seems to be working.. at the startup screen on the xbox, it shows the ip of my computer. but when i go into the FTP client on xbox ( XBOX-FTP 0.60) it trys to connect , but everytime it fails.

would someone be able to give a step by step tut on solving this matter...

thanks heaps