1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

general questions from a day old newbie

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Mazriam, Jun 1, 2002.

1. Mazriam

Mazriam Guest

Greetings!!

Okay, yesterday, i noticed that dvd-r's have become cheap enough to seriously consider dup'ing DVD's.

I've done hours of research trying to find the best program's to rip a dvd in it's entirety and then of course burn it to a dvd. Needless to say, i had immense difficulty in finding a definitive site to answer all my questions. (still havn't found one either)

I'm not interested in making a vcd or svcd for obvious reasons.

1. I want to exactly duplicate a commercial DVD to play in my DVD player, not a DVD ROM Drive, attached to my TV. I believe dvd decrypter can accomplish this for movies 4.7 gig or below but i'm hoping one of you guys can validate this belief.

2. I've come across a utility called SmartRipper. I believe this utility would best be used to split commercial DVD's larger than 4.7gig and still maintian the full DVD quality. i.e. resolution, frame rate, audio tracks, ect..., kept to original specs. Then i use ifoedit to make a true multi-disk DVD. My question is, what program would be best to burn it to a DVD-R?

3. What is the best dvd writer on the market. Keep in mind that i want the fastest burn speeds possible for all blank dvd and cd media.

TIA
    Maz

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

You posted on wrong forum, I moved your message to here.

1. Yes, we have a short guide how to do this at our article section (http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/)

2. I would say Nero. But read through messages in this forum to get more info about DVD splitting -- some damn good short guides available here.

3. I would personally buy Pioneer DVR-A04, since DVD-R discs are cheaper and more widely available than DVD+RWs.

3. viper058

viper058 Guest

As the good Dr. has indicated the Pioneer drive allows for much cheaper media. BUT, the HP drive will burn it in more than half the time.
    I have both drives installed. I began with the HP 100j, but DVD+RW media can get expensive (cheapest I found, $4.79 per disk). For my new Pioneer DVR-104, $1.45 per disk (with an acceptable failure rate of about 7 disks per 100.)

Also, SmartRipper will rip DVDs under the 4.36 GB threshhold, while maintaining perfect quality.

4. viper058

viper058 Guest

Correction. Meant to say that the HP drive will burn it in LESS than half the time of the Pioneer!!! My bad.