1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Generate subtitles software

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by jmcole, Feb 6, 2024.

1. jmcole

jmcole Regular member

I'm looking for software (not an online account) to download that is simple to use for auto generating subtitles. Example:
    Open the mp4 movie with the software, and it generates the subtitles for the movie.

Any easy software recommendations?

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I'm certain subtitles are manually written text files and that are encoded or time stamped to a movie or TV show. So your best bet would be to find and download an existing subtitle for each of your Mp4s.

Here is a link to a site that collects links to where subtitles can be downloaded.

https://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/subtitles-sites.html

3. jmcole

jmcole Regular member

There is software that auto generates subtitles. I am currently using the software called Subtitle Edit. It's not the easiest thing out there. I was hoping someone knew of something easier.

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I know there are some AI software that is supposed to be able to auto generate but that assumes it can actually discern differences in the dialog which I kind of doubt. The time to insure you have subtitles is when you rip and transcode. Subtitles are generally included in the source material so all you need is a transcoder/encoder that can also capture the subtitles to .srt files. Doing it after the fact makes things harder. You can try AI but you will have to do it online because there are no really effective downloadable AI or audio to text subtitle generators that I'm aware of. When I rip I use Handbrake to transcode and it can transcode with subtitles.

"HandBrake can read subtitles from the following sources:

ps355528 likes this.
  5. jmcole

jmcole Regular member

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, the differences in dialog is one of the problems I'm having. I might just give up on this.

I also use HandBrake. Love it.

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Unless you have a huge collection of video that requires subtitles, it might be better use of time to just reencode the ones you have. I have subtitles on all my collection but I find having to disable each video subtitle annoying so I rename my subtitle folders by adding the letter "a" so that the video can't find them. If I ever need subtitles I can just remove the letter a.

You can still try downloading already completed subtitles to see if you can make them work. :D

Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
  7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

klite aka mpc. If somebody has uploaded the subs for the movie it can be set to auto download the subs. It's up to you to then decide which set to keep. It's not perfect however it may just get a few subs to lessen the hassle

8. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

Anybody know a good way to convert .ass to .srt without messing them up? I'm sick of having to use my text editor to just get the Covenant bits rather than all the dialog on the current series of Halo.. (lol.. dirty pirates)

I know I could probably script up something but I'm getting old lad lazy.

9. wither 1

wither 1 Regular member

What have you tried? I see all sorts of online converters and numerous software for download. Not always free.

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I suppose you've already tried this will little success?

https://ebby.co/subtitle-tools/converter/ass-to-srt