1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got a letter for dload from cox abuse tracking system

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by damatrixz, Jun 7, 2004.

1. pablo3

pablo3 Member

kateman, it is not the software spying on anyone.
    It is a company, BayTSP. They are monitoring p2p activity, as per their press release they cover %100 of eMule and Bittorent transfers and monitor them.
    Based on what's being transmitted, they ping the ip, find out who is the lease holder (ISP) of that IP and send a letter to that ISP. In order, that ISP looks through their logs and finds whom the IP was leased to (if DHCP) or who is the holder of that static IP at that given date in that letter.

And finally they attach the letter from BayTSP and write their own, send it to the customer with warning.

Unless you are using multiple proxies, it is difficult to hide from this method, and best way to get out of it is not to download any copyrighted material.

2. Smee342

Smee342 Member

lol i remeber when i got my first letter about the same time in 04 lol
    just thought i mention that, i got my letter from comcast becouse i was sharing my LOTR 2 lol, anyways my net was turnoff with out warning tell i called and had it back up total downtime was maybe 24 hours but mainly while i slept. lol now sadly i moved so far out of town in the middle of now where i can only get dailup

poor me

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  3. treeking

treeking Member

has anyone ever recieved a letter from verizon?

4. pablo3

pablo3 Member

You know what, from all I have been reading at various sites, I have never seen anyone getting a letter from verizon.. This is strange. It could be due to two things...
    A) Verizon does not keep track of their IP lease log sheets
    B) Verizon receives the letter but just too lazy to send a message to anyone.

THESE ARE ONLY POSSIBILITIES, UNLESS someone comes up and says he got a letter from Verizon, when and due to what.

5. dreamer2

dreamer2 Regular member

i had verizon dsl before and never got letter. my friends have dsl and they even download audio songs from bearshare and they never got any letter. so i m definitely switching to verizon fios

6. pablo3

pablo3 Member

Does FIOS work by assigning static or dynamic IP address? does anyone know?

7. dreamer2

dreamer2 Regular member

as far as i know it works by dynamic ip adress.