1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gotta router? LOWID in eMule? Come here!

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by judoboy, Jan 17, 2004.

1. nixxon

nixxon Member

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. I read the first page of this thread and followed the advice. I also removed my router firewall and now my desktop computer is getting top notch speed again. However, my wireless laptop still have lowid. Is there a quick fix for this? What is causing this? Thanks.

2. darkflux

darkflux Regular member

well nixxon, first, the fact that you're getting High ID on your Desktop because you turned off your firewall means you didn't set up Port Forwarding (or at least not properly). and you REALLY need to set it up when using wireless on a laptop. also, it's most DEFINITELY NOT a good idea to leave your firewall OFF. it leaves your computer WIDE OPEN for hackers. my recommendation would be to attempt a WIRED setup on the laptop first, THEN go for a wireless attempt. try following Punisher1's checklist here.
    make sure you've done everything there. if you're unsure of something, just ask here :) if you're not sure how to work with part of your router, you need to let us know the make and model, then someone might be able to "guide" you. either way, it's something important for you to learn, and from what you've mentioned, you can DEFINITELY get High ID, AND be secure.
    by the way, i would follow the checklist for your Desktop as well, since that way, it will have a secure connection as well. just a bit of advice.

3. Kudalman

Kudalman Member

Hey...
    I got rouater and LOWID problem too.
    When I get into the admin panel I can't fine the DMZ Host anywhere.

Is the other way so I can resolve this problem?

4. gdubb85

gdubb85 Member

This is gonna sound stupid...but how do I know if I have a LOW ID?

On the Servers page on the right where it lists the server and network I am connected to it says under eD2K Network my IP Address and port info and says "High ID" on the last line.

However, on the Statistics page underneath Clients on the left it says: Low ID: 178 (14.2%)

Anyway, my downloads are like a few kbps so downloads take hours to days to finish...

5. darkflux

darkflux Regular member

Kudalman, you shouldn't use the DMZ for any period of time, only to test if it is your router at fault. besides that, you didn't mention which router you were using ;)

gdubb85, you have HighID, of the "however many" people (clients) you are connected to (i'm guessing 2,528), 178 of them have LowID. you would not likely be connecting well with them had you not been getting HighID.

6. ezplucky

ezplucky Member

OK. Just when you thought you've answered every possible LOWID eMule router question, here comes another. I've got the following configuration:

Minneapolis Municipal Wireless Internet -> Ruckus Metroflex 2211 (no dualzone) -> Linksys WRT54GS -> WINXP computer.

DHCP is enabled on both the Metroflex and the Linksys. The Metroflex and Linksys are connected via ethernet cable.

I've tried the instructions posted by punisher1 and darkflux for connecting through the router, and I'm still getting LOWID. Yes, I've double checked everything about a zillion times. The firewall ports are open on my computer and port forwarding is set on my Linksys. I've also tried opening the DMZ on my linksys and turning off my firewall on the WinXP computer, all with no luck. I've even tried connecting my computer directly to the Metroflex - still LOWID. Before throwing in the towel and declaring it an ISP problem I thought I'd see if you guys had any ideas. Do I need to forward additional ports on my metroflex or open additional ports in my firewall to accommodate my metroflex connection?

Thanks

7. darkflux

darkflux Regular member

is that the 2211-DZ or 2211-NG.
    either way, is it possible to open DMZ on your Ruckus, since it DOES have a firewall built-in. be sure to switch DMZ back off when you're done testing, for security reasons. if you don't have that option, you could try setting up for Static IP (as opposed to DHCP). if you're not sure how to do that, one of us here can probably help you.

oh, one other thing, is your ISP US Internet Wireless? if that's the case, you may not need all that "hardware" to get internet. a simple wireless card should be able to receive the connection. most notebooks come standard with internal wireless, but since you have the wireless device the company uses (assuming i'm right about your ISP), they DO offer support for the device, although NOT the router, so you'd have to disconnect it for the support. if this is the case, you should make a note of how they fix the setup (if they do), so you can apply this info to your router setup.
    anyway, keep us posted, and we'll help however we can :)

8. ezplucky

ezplucky Member

I've recent figured it all out and wanted the information posted for other USI internet subscribers in Minneapolis, or even other Muni WiFi subscribers with similar setups.

In regards to Darkflux's comments: The Ruckus 2211 (or similar) is a required component of connecting to the USI service. In-home routers and antennae do not have the juice to send data to the USI routers mounted down the street on the electric pole.

In general, USI's tech. support is (shall we say) less than helpful. But there are postings at various forums for both Ruckus and USI's service. More on that in a minute.

Like everyone else around here, I'm trying to get a HIGHID in emule, and the problem comes down to (the usual) opening the correct ports in the firewall and forwarding the correct ports on the router. Using the Ruckus makes things tricky. Instructions for connecting your wireless router to the Ruckus are posted here (http://www.usiwireless.com/service/faqs/faq26.htm). Note that the Ruckus cable must NOT plug into the "internet port" on the router but rather one of the wired LAN ports. This caused me a massive headache. Also note that DHCP must be disabled on your router, leaving the Ruckus to perform this task. Finally, port forwarding must be setup on your Ruckus, not your router. This is done in the NAT button under system - configuration by entering the appropriate port numbers and IP addresses of your computers. Additional help can be found on the Ruckus Wireless website and in particular here (http://forums.ruckuswireless.com/).

Regarding the firewall, ports must be opened exactly as described previously for other network configurations by darkflux and punisher1. When all this is done, BINGO!, HIGHID. Thanks all.

9. kemet

kemet Guest

i have low id too i habe gigafast ee410-r router i went to firewall settings DMZ (Demilitarized Zone)= enabled
    IP Address of DMZ Host 192. 168. 1. (8)

Client Filtering IP 192.168.1. 100 PORT 4119 enabled unchecked

how do i set this thing so emule wont have low ID

emule setting TCP 4662 UDB 4672 then when i go to test ports it says tcp failed! can anyone help?

10. darkflux

darkflux Regular member

hey kemet, sorry it took me so long to reply, been a busy week.
    okay, i'm assuming your PC's IP address is 192.168.1.8 . otherwise you should have set DMZ to that. have you tried to get HighID without the router? if you can't get it without the router, then no amount of messing with the router will solve your problem, and we'll need to address your connection first. let me know :)

11. devikx

devikx Member

judo. not only were you correct, you were direct! Huge points for getting Right to the point, so thank u. I just wish everyone could take after you when threading...we're just looking for answers, not a whole life story. I was searching for days, til I came across your post. You the man.
    Dev

12. cyberdag

cyberdag Member

Another point to make re port forwarding - try to choose a port between 10000 - 60000 - many isps block ports that are usually used for p2p, but don't usually block those above 10000 (I found this out courtesy of portforward.com )I've been trying for days to get rid of my lowid status, and finally succeeded by following their advice, and using ports between 10000 and 60000 - once i did that, I had a good id!
    I still had to forward them through my router, but I'd had no luck with any of the myriad of ports I had tried below 10000 before that. So if you're having no luck even with port forwarding and setting rules for your firewall, this could be your answer!

13. lavet

lavet Guest

14. darkflux

darkflux Regular member

lavet, the default setting for your router is Username:admin
    with no password. try this out, even if it pops up asking for a username AND password.
    if that doesn't work, they probably have it password protected so no one accidentally gets in and ruins their settings. you might be able to get the password if you call them and explain you need some settings changed (some ISP's don't mind that, some charge to come down and change them for you), but it's important that you don't change any settings without being able to remember the old ones in case the new ones don't work. good luck, and please ask if you need more info :)

15. lavet

lavet Guest

16. darkflux

darkflux Regular member

sorry lavet, i was half-awake when i read your thread. i thought you were trying to get into the D-Link (no more e-mail before bed!).
    the Speedstream isn't set up by default (according to it's manual) and requires you to set a password upon first setup, so it's VERY likely it has one. the default username is admin, but it was most likely changed when they set it up. also, to login to the router, by default the address is: http://speedstream
    so... the only way to reset the password seems to be to reset the router. unfortunately, if you do that, you will need to know the old settings for your ISP's internet access, as they will be reset as well.
    if you want to try it anyway without knowing the settings, you can try, and if it doesn't work, the worst that could happen is another call to your ISP's Tech Support, and a possible visit to re-set the settings, along with, very likely, a fee for the "trouble".
    if you understand this and still want to try it, these are the steps:

To reset the Router:
    1. Using the tip of a ballpoint pen or unfolded paperclip, press and hold the Reset button located on the bottom of the router. The pwr LED will blink red once, indicating that the reset has begun.
    2. Continue depressing the Reset button for four seconds or until the pwr LED begins to blink alternating red-to-green.
    3. Release the Reset button.
    now you should should be able to log into your router using one of the following:
    http://speedstream

a word though: "By default, the SpeedStream Router does not support routing protocols. However, support for the Routing Information Protocol (RIP), versions 1, 2 or 1 and 2, can be activated." (from the manual)
    so it's something you need to turn on, if you get in...

17. lavet

lavet Guest

No, it is my Modem I am trying to get into. I can't get into the page like i was told to do to disable the firewall. But what I would like to know is why would it bother me now, it never bothered me before when I had just the Speedstream 4200 Modem. My utorrent was normal, slow but normal. And my ports were opened, why all of a sudden does it screw up just because I hook up the D-Link 604 Router? That's what doesn't make sense to me. I have tried the http://speedstream page and all I get is page not found or type in the 192.... numbers.

18. darkflux

darkflux Regular member

ah, i see. well, from the sounds of things, if your Speedstream works without the D-Link, then it's the D-Link you need to configure, not the Speedstream. if you still want to try to access the Speedstream, you should connect it to the PC directly.
    the D-Link should be accessable with 192.168.0.1 user: admin
    leave the password empty. once you can get into the D-Link, you need to set port forwarding. if you need help or have more questions, just ask.

19. lavet

lavet Guest

20. darkflux

darkflux Regular member

first you should try seeing if you can get a High ID WITHOUT port forwarding when the D-Link is NOT connected. if you CAN, you should not change any settings on the Speedstream, as it MIGHT just make it worse. if you are unable to get High ID in eMule with just the Speedstream connected directly to your PC, then let me know, and i'll try to guide you through setting it up as best i can.
    if you ARE able to get High ID when the D-Link is NOT connected, the you will need to set up port forwarding on the D-Link, which i can also guide you through. please check this first.