1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GT4 Burning Issues

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Nephilim, May 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simpsim1

simpsim1 Regular member

...and I was doing so well!

Got it nicely downsized and patched but there appears to be a conflict that's causing the game to freeze after the autoload screen.

From my previous efforts, I noted that there was at least half of the opening movie on the layer-0 vol file. The complete movie resides on the layer-1 vol (Movie36.pss if you've tried extracting it) but unfortunately I can't find a trace of it with the hex editor on layer-0 (There's usually a headnote for TMPGEnc which sony uses for encoding), so it's more than likely to be encrypted. Interestingly though, RipPSS found a file that was the same length as Movie36 but when I loaded it, it was a dud. So to sum up, I'm assuming that the two movies must be compared before loading. Not totally sure on that or whether that indeed is the cause, but I think I'm going nowhere now, and plus, I'm totally out of media until next week.

2. samuels

samuels Guest

...and I was doing so well!

Got it nicely downsized and patched but there appears to be a conflict that's causing the game to freeze after the autoload screen.

From my previous efforts, I noted that there was at least half of the opening movie on the layer-0 vol file. The complete movie resides on the layer-1 vol (Movie36.pss if you've tried extracting it) but unfortunately I can't find a trace of it with the hex editor on layer-0 (There's usually a headnote for TMPGEnc which sony uses for encoding), so it's more than likely to be encrypted. Interestingly though, RipPSS found a file that was the same length as Movie36 but when I loaded it, it was a dud. So to sum up, I'm assuming that the two movies must be compared before loading. Not totally sure on that or whether that indeed is the cause, but I think I'm going nowhere now, and plus, I'm totally out of media until next week.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2005
  3. simpsim1

simpsim1 Regular member

@Samuels. I used Toolboy's DVD9-HDD Kit available from http://www.ps2-scene.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7192 (Registration required). I had to rebuild the ilm file myself with cdvdgen because my disk was slightly different to toolboy's DVD-9 image. It boots a treat and has had the vol integrity checks removed too which is what I needed. I've managed to get this last disk working now. I disabled the intro movie on the save and booted again. I now have another working dvd-5 but still without the Arcade Mode. The loading indicator just froze this time instead of going red, so it might have been a dodgy disk.

I'm trying something else later. I'm going to leave Movie36 in (Intro) and strip out just movie9 (That's the big 478mb credits movie). That'll leave about 200 megs to take out. I'll get that from the the Epson folder, which I'll just dummy up. I'm not there quite yet but I can feel it getting closer all the time.. and i got some more disks lol.

4. simpsim1

simpsim1 Regular member

Bother! Can't do it. The integrity of the vol file seems to be vital at least up until movie36. Quite cleverly they've put the stuff you need at the start of the game at the end of the disk and made it bigger than a dvd-5. I can shift 200 megs off it by dummying the Epson folder but this really makes little difference to how far the game goes. I wish I knew a little more about this vol filesystem. Doesn't help either that the 2 vol files seem to be different. The movie files in gt4l1.vol are visible in winhex as complete files which you can compare to the extracted ones, but in gt4.vol they aren't (Encrypted?). I know there's one movie at least there, because a disk with layer-0 only plays half the intro movie, so it's in there somewhere.

5. Burnt-Out

Burnt-Out Member

Simpsim1, the work you are doing is great. I belive you are the only one left working on this issue, and you have my thanks cause everyone else gave up and went with the DVD9 solution. So here's to the hackers who don't give up, and to you for your continued work.

6. BryanH.

BryanH. Guest

Ok I got PS2 - Gran Turismo 4 USA DVD5[elitewebt3.com] and I boot it up and all i get is the begining screen then It goes blank and stuff....Burned at 2x speed on dvd dycripter.help

7. evnflow

evnflow Guest

it's probably an incomplete file...after you un-zipped it...what was the size?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2005
  8. BryanH.

BryanH. Guest

2.5 gigs

9. evnflow

evnflow Guest

yeah..ummmmm...that's a little shy of what it needs to be...was this after you unzipped the file?...just get an original and back it up like a regular dvd5 backup but have volume lock and burn proof un-checked on dvd decrypter and you should have a backup in like 5 mins..P.S. you will get two errors when trying this method...don't worry about them, use a dvd+r(they work better for this backup), and make sure you have a save on your memory card when loading this backup on your ps2

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2005
  10. CrushUW

CrushUW Member

hummmm... isn't there a way to split the game in 2 dvds instead of doing a full dvd5 rip?
    maybe you could put arcade mode on a dvd and career mode on another like the old gt2...

11. evolakos

evolakos Member

I followed the instructions found on this board and they worked perfectly. 1) Burn an image of GT4 to your hard drive with DVD Decrypter in ISO READ mode. (FREEWARE) 2) Patch the ISO File with Toxic's Dual Layer Patcher (FREEWARE) 3) Using a DL DVD Burner (Sony) and DVD+R DL Disc, burn the patched image from your hard drive to the DL Disc using DVD Decrypter ISO Write mode.

Perfect working copy! - Many thanks to the original poster!

12. max1980

max1980 Guest

Hi Guys
    I used the dvd decrypter to have an iso image of gt4, before i tried to write on dvd+r unchecked burn proof and volume check still get an error as invalid file in cdm, then retry for couple of time and get failed message.any suggestions

13. DragonFun

DragonFun Guest

For My great Luck it worked just fine thnx guys now i can start racing too with the DVD decrypt i also used the patch but i dont think it was necesary thnx a lot guys for the guide

14. simpsim1

simpsim1 Regular member

@Burnt-Out Thanks for the encouragement. I think you've elevated me a little higher than I oughta be!!!

The great hackers on this thing would be among those such as L-Burna, Toolboy or Toxic (Responsible for THAT patch). Me, I'm more of what you'd call a tinkerer.. I just play about with what has already been designed and try to see if I can find a different way of doing things... and I think I bit off more than I could chew with this one. Basically, the best I've been able to come up with so far is to use a different patching method other than Toxic (Toolboy's patch).

Saying that, I've learnt a few things about it (Such as a part of the intro movie on first Vol and a little about the layer-1 vol filesystem). All I really need is someone with a bit more knowledge to help piece some of the bits of the jigsaw together. After all, that's what these forums are about in the first place.

15. simpsim1

simpsim1 Regular member

I was actually toying with the idea of making a layer-1 only disk for the arcade mode. I think others have tried it already and said it doesn't work... but don't quote me. If you wanted to give it a try, you can use Apache to extract the layer-1 iso and then swap with the 88% disk. I would assume that the loading indicator once you exit "GT Mode" would be the best place to swap. Oh yeah... you would also need a slide card if your mod chip doesn't support pressing the eject button during a game.

I would try this myself but I'm out of disks again!

16. evolakos

evolakos Member

DragonFun - I've tried it without patching with Toxic, doesn't work. Apparently "pressed" (mass commercially produced Dual layer DVD's) have a different read setup than "burned" Dual Layer DVD's. The PS2 doesn't seem to read a burned dual layer DVD. The Toxic patch gives the burned dual layer DVD the appearance of a pressed dual layer DVD to the PS2. Race on!

17. evolakos

evolakos Member

Max1980 - What model / brand DVD burner and media are you using?

18. tez12

tez12 Member

I have an old ps2 with a magic 3 chip. I have patched the GT4 .iso file and was about to burn it on a DL disc but heard that my chip wont run the burnt game. In order to play the orginal GT4 i have to hold the power button down, i think this disables the chip. can anyone tell me for sure if my burnt copy of the game will work with this chip?

19. crowy

crowy Guest

@tez12,Think you're out of luck with the d/layer backup.
    Magic 3 doesn't support dual layer.
    You could try the dvd5 method if arcade mode isn't neccessary.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. tez12

tez12 Member

thanks crowy, where can i find the dvd5 method, that will do for now. when i patched the .iso then tried to burn it with dvd decrypter on a single layer i got theis error msg that others have receieved in the past. it tells me some technical jargain stuff that i dont understand. i am using a pioneer 108 and ritek media. is there a beter way to make a dvd5?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.