1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GUIDE : Clarification for the TA-088 motherboards

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by mrgooey, Oct 11, 2008.

1. mrgooey

mrgooey Regular member

UPDATE: The new “brite” models (which are the 3000 series) are safe
    from TA motherboard. Read the FAQ for more information.

Intro:

This a guide about the different TA-088 motherboards. There are three versions of the TA-088 motherboards. I just want to make this guide to clarify the TA-088 motherboards to the users at Afterdawn Forums. The TA-088 motherboards only comes out for SLIM. So, if you have a fat psp, then you are fine. Note that if you got the new “brite” models (which are the 3000 series) then you are safe from the Ta-088 motherboards.

I got all this information off the internet. So, if I miss any info then please reply or pm me (credit will be given)

I’m now going to give a list of the different types of the Ta-088 motherboards. Each version comes with an official firmware such as 3.50, 3.71, 4.01...etc. In this guide, I will give you the firmware numbers that it USUALY comes with the TA motherboards. However, as I said it is a “usually”, so it doesn’t have to be a TA motherboard even you have the firmware. For example, TA-088 v1 comes out with 3.71 firmware so if you got a newly psp with the 3.71 firmware then it is a 50/50 chance of getting the TA motherboard. This guide gives you the firmware when the TA motherboard was first spotted.

Terms Alert :
    Softmod – The use of software to mod the Pandora battery. Once after making the battery, you can softmod back to the original battery.
    Hardmod – This is actually call mod. This means you have to open the battery to mod the battery.
    For more info, on how to make the Pandora battery, refer to the FAQ section.

Versions:

TA-088 v1 - This comes out with the 3.71 firmware. This is like any other PSP motherboard. This can hacked with the Pandora Battery and the Magic Memory Stick. However, the only difference is that you cannot softmod the Pandora battery. The options of hacking this motherboard is buying a premade battery, having a friend’s PSP softmod it, or hardmod the battery.

TA-088 v2 - This comes out with the 3.90 firmware. This motherboard (like V1) cannot softmod a Pandora battery. Also, this motherboard can only be hacked with the Pandora Battery with the magic memory card installed by the application DC7.GUIDE to install DC7, one must have a custom firmware PSP (either another one or from a friend)

TA-088 v3 - This comes out with the 4.XX firmware (where X is the any number). This is the worst of all the motherboards you can get. This motherboard cannot be hacked yet . Here is some more information. NOTE: The only *new* confirmed psp can that be hacked is the Blue Madden PSP.

More INFO on the TA-088 v3

Why TA88 v3 cannot be hacked "yet" from Dark Alex (The God of PSP hacking)
    After, DA tells the public about the TA88 v3 not able to be hacked. He decided to release the …

Using the TA-088 v3 Identifier
    Download from here The 3.90 firmware can download here. The 4.05 firmware can download from here

Since, I don’t have the TA-088 v3 motherboard. I can’t put my own instructions. This instructions are quoted from the site PSP HACKS. Here you go, hope this helps.
    Copy each firmware EBOOT, both 3.90 and 4.05, to the root of your memory stick. Launch the TA-088v3 Identifier (GETIPL) from a homebrew-enabled PSP and it will extract and create the IPLs; if you’re good to go, the app should auto-exit in 10 seconds. This leaves you with an “ipl390.bin” and “ipl405.bin” file in the memory stick’s root.

Next, do this –
    1.Connect the PSP via USB.
    2.Format a memory stick with the included “mspformat” tool.
    3.Use “msinst” to install the 3.90 IPL onto the freshly formatted memory stick.
    4. Insert the memory stick into the PSP to be TA-088v3 tested.
    5. Turn it on with a Pandora Battery. Two (2) possible results:
    6. PSP immediately turns off — your PSP is NOT equipped with a TA-088v3 motherboard.
    7. PSP stays on with the green light — your PSP is a TA-088v3, or perhaps you’ve done something wrong. Continue…
    8. Connect the PSP via USB again.
    9. Repeat the above steps with the 4.05 IPL. Again, two (2) possible results:
    10. If the PSP turns off immediately with this IPL and it previously remained on with the green light — this indicates a TA-088v3 board.
    11. PSP and the green light remain on — you’ve likely done something wrong. Try again.
    12. Whatever the indicator — the TA-088v3 ain’t hacked yet.

FAQ:
    Q: What are slim ? brite? Phat? 1000,2000,3000 series?
    A: The 1000 series are also known as PSP Phat (of FAT). These are the original PSP. You can tell the difference by the WLAN and the IR. The WLAN is located at the opposite side of the power switch.

The 2000 series are also known as the PSP Slim. These are the upgraded versions of the old 1000 PSP. They have a bit more ram and as the name says “slim”. You call tell by the WLAN which is located at the top. Very near the UMD bay door.

The 3000 series are the newest PSP models. These do not have the TA-088 v3 motherboards, since they are brand new versions. They are also known as the PSP Brite. You can tell the difference by looking at one button at the left bottom. Instead of a home button that is in the phat and slim, it have the playstation logo.

Q: How can I softmod or hardmod a battery to turn it into a Pandora Battery.
    A: Please you the Universal Unbricker Guide in the Mod and Firmware Section. Check the Stickies.

Q: Can I tell what PSP model before buying it. Can I also tell if it is a TA motherboard.
    A: I need more confirmation on some.
    FAT – Don’t think they are out on sale. Don’t have TA mobo.

Slim - Check the barcode sticker.PSP Slim Series will have the letter "G" or higher. Not sure about the TA mobo yet. If anyone got any info about the barcode for the TA mobo please msg me (credit will be given)
    [​IMG]

Brite – Does not really matter since they don’t have TA motherboard.

MY OTHER GUIDES

Credits
    Afterdawn Forums - Allowing me to make this guide
    Google - Search Engine ...
    PSPUPDATES- Releaseing new information in the PSP hacking community
    Dark Alex - For a lot of things
    PSP HACKS – For the TA088v3 Identifier

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  2. Donaldo

Donaldo Regular member

that "Why TA88 v3 cannot be hacked "yet" thread over on DA's forum is very interesting ...

from what i gathered it seems like they are just gonna try and skip TA88 v3 and go on to focus on the new bright model.... and if the hack is backwards compatible then good news for ta88 v3 owners ... otherwise.. . . .

the post by DA was very informative ... that the TA 88 v3's can never be downgraded below 4.01 cause of the new coding for the IPL stuff... and that ciper/key system sounds pretty intense...

sorry for TA88 v3 owners it doesn't look good at all.

3. steelegde

steelegde Member

I found a G on my barcode thing on the back on my Psp slim box...
    that means its a Motherboard TA-088 v3?
    I hardmodded my battery for nothing...
    oh well, I guess I'll just have to stick to playing my PSX games on my PS2, no homebrew for me :(

4. mrgooey

mrgooey Regular member

No, it just tell you have a slim psp

5. DivineNeo

DivineNeo Regular member

Sorry for misunderstanding, so if that letter is less than "G" than does that mean it is a TA-088 v3 motherboard...? Im sorta confused...

6. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Added to ultimate sticky.

Thanks for the clarification guide mrgooey!

7. nzrn

nzrn Member

im using 3.xx.m33 firmware before. but now im update it to 5.01 firmware. now i cannot play any iso game. can pandora battery fixed this problem. or can i downgrade it to other playable iso firmware

8. iamafreak

iamafreak Member

Even i found a G on my Barcode...Please tell me if this can be hacked...

9. petridish

petridish Member

mrgooey, your explanation for the steps to identify ta-88 v3 motherboard is so confusing. please rephrase your sentences by using better grammar and fix your spelling.

thanks

10. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Well I don't think it's confusing.
    As for grammar - it ain't bad - most of us on here aren't English professors and then there are those that English is not their first language. A major plus is it's not in text speak.
    Also the instructions for the identifier are from Dark Alex who speaks Spanish. His English translations are much better then my Spanish translations would be.

11. sengtsan

sengtsan Member

Thanks for the instructions.
    I just want to clarify one thing.

If I use the 390ipl and the green light stays on, then I use the 405ipl and the green light comes on and then immediately goes off then the mobo is a T-088 v3.

Is that correct?

Thanks

12. didz04

didz04 Guest

Hi,
    I wanted to make sure one thing, i know that it is mainly talking about the slims, but with the phat psp can you use the pandora battery and magic memory card to downgrade any official firmware to 1.50, even if the motherboard is a TA-082[/b?
    On this website (below) which i know is old but it says you are screwed if you have this motherboard. Can the pandora downgrade these firmwares to?

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=psp&message.id=2491957&page=1

Thanks.

13. error55o

error55o Regular member

at the moment it's the PSP3000 and TA-088v3 that cant use pandora, fat's can and slims can but not the two I've listed

14. Gr3m

Gr3m Member

Thanks Mrgooey

15. ZMan2x

ZMan2x Member

Do I need a pandora battery for this?

16. Gr3m

Gr3m Member

Yes you will need 1. the program (download) 2. your psp 3. a cfw psp
    4. a computer 5. a pandoras battery 6. a computer and 7. a usb cable

its all in the guide if you read it

17. ZMan2x

ZMan2x Member

Is there a specific pandora battery I have to use or can I use any kind? I have a psp slim ta-088, but don't know if it's a version 1, 2, or 3!

18. error55o

error55o Regular member

there is a guide and the needed tools on dark alex's website (http://www.dark-alex.net/) but it's basically the same as above so...

also he has all the current info on the progress of the TA-088v3 and psp3000's

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  19. ZMan2x

ZMan2x Member

Thanks!

20. walliea

walliea Member

worked for me